Canadian GB Chat

zebra

57 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Sorry. I meant no malice but your story is very interesting nevertheless. 're your family in Sussex I haven't across that name.

No offense taken, Paul. I love history especially military history. On a different subject I believe your avatar is a Ukraine Roundel, what is the story behind that choice, if I may ask. My avatar is actually my ancestors coat of arms. Their surname was Otxoa (Basque: pronounced O-cho-a).

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, John Masters said:

Did I already ask about the red Bristol FE.2 on skis used in the film 'Death Hunt' with Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin?  Can I build that?

It's flown by the RCMP...in a work of fiction...not sure if it is in the book...

Must see that film, hope it is as rubbish as ‘49th Parrallel’ in which Laurence Olivier has the most outrageous Québécois accent. I seem to remember Canadian bush planes in that one.

looking forward to seeing the Bristol Fe2 - most imaginative- wish I had thought of that one 😊

• Like 1

49th Parallel - The Internet Movie Plane Database (impdb.org)

This movie database has a shed load of stuff including the various aircraft seen in the film "49th Parallel", perhaps the most interesting one is the Canadian Airways Fairchild 71C - Now I wonder if there is a kit of it ? 🙂

Cheers

CanAdrian

1 hour ago, Adrian Hills said:

49th Parallel - The Internet Movie Plane Database (impdb.org)

This movie database has a shed load of stuff including the various aircraft seen in the film "49th Parallel", perhaps the most interesting one is the Canadian Airways Fairchild 71C - Now I wonder if there is a kit of it ? 🙂

Cheers

CanAdrian

I know that  film. I think I have a freebie dvd of it. Re the Fairchild, I think there was a vac form kit of it by Khee Kha in Alaska.  Now if there is a film you should try and see is Captains of the Clouds

In glorious colour  starring Jimmy Cagney. Lots of Bush planes in Canada appear like  Fairchilds and Norseman. Later plenty of Harvards, Battles and Hudsons among more. I would love to get a dvd of it.  Billy Bishop makes an appearance during a passing out parade dishing out wings and things.

• Like 2

On a modern note, a very informative pdf map is available form the Canadian Government illustrating all military aircraft units (along with type) and locations.  Can't remember if something like this was already posted, but download link can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/air-force/corporate/reports-publications/royal-canadian-air-force-map.html

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Paul J said:

Captains of the Clouds

Hey now thats a classic movie, I watch it often as the footage is good of the military aircraft. And it has a pretty accurate color scene with the Lockheed bombers. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captains_of_the_Clouds

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JackG said:

On a modern note, a very informative pdf map is available form the Canadian Government illustrating all military aircraft units (along with type) and locations.  Can't remember if something like this was already posted, but download link can be found here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/air-force/corporate/reports-publications/royal-canadian-air-force-map.html

regards,

Jack

Interesting map, Jack. Looks like the RCAF is heavily concentrated along the east coast with a large mix of different aircraft.

• Like 1

Having just about completed my CT-133, I have posted my Bunrin -Do publication covering the T-Bird up for sale in approriate pages if any one is interested.

While I admittedly haven't made a lot of progress on my CF-104 build (cut me some slack... it's July... our summer is short, so I'd rather take advantage of it while I can) I did get a little immersion in some Canadian aviation history today.

Bombardier (formerly Canadair) has been a decades long customer of my company. I've found production orders from as far back as the late 60s and drawings for F-5 parts (though this was well before I was even born).

This morning I had a meeting with an engineer to discuss possible improvements to a part we make for the A220 (formerly Bombardier C-Series). We met up at Bombardier's Plant 1, which is the significant part of this story. Plant 1 is, or more technically was the main production facility for Canadair from the mid 1940s onward. It stands on the site of what was formerly the Cartierville Airport (1911-1988 CYCV).

Here's a list of some of the more interesting aircraft that were built in the building I was visiting:

Noorduyn Norseman

Canadian Vickers Canso (PBY-5)

Canadair Northstar (license built DC-4)

Canadair Sabre Mk II (license built F-86)

Lockheed T-33 (license built)

CL-28 Argus (maritime patrol ASW)

CL-66 Cosmopolitain (license built Convair 440)

CL-41 Tutor (aka CT-114 aka the Snowbirds demo team jets)

CF-104 (license built Lockheed F-104 Starfighter)

CL-84 Dynavert (Canada built and flew a "tilt-rotor" two decades before Bell-Boeing made the V-22)

CL-215/415 waterbomber

CF-5 (license built Northrop F-5)

Cartierville Airport - 1959 

The large building in the top right section of that image is what is today Plant 1. Of course there's a lot of "new" structure in the building there, but some of the "old" remains. The area I was visiting today in particular... old, hardwood flooring, wooden staircase, etc. Definitely remnants of decades long past, because seriously... who puts hardwood flooring in a factory? Apparently even some of the old wooden catwalks remain above the production floor, with the surfaces worn smooth from decades of use. I didn't get up there to see those though.

If you click this Google Maps link it should show the present-day situation from more or less the same angle as the image at the link above: Google Maps

Edited by RaceAddict
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

While I admittedly haven't made a lot of progress on my CF-104 build (cut me some slack... it's July... our summer is short, so I'd rather take advantage of it while I can) I did get a little immersion in some Canadian aviation history today.

Bombardier (formerly Canadair) has been a decades long customer of my company. I've found production orders from as far back as the late 60s and drawings for F-5 parts (though this was well before I was even born).

This morning I had a meeting with an engineer to discuss possible improvements to a part we make for the A220 (formerly Bombardier C-Series). We met up at Bombardier's Plant 1, which is the significant part of this story. Plant 1 is, or more technically was the main production facility for Canadair from the mid 1940s onward. It stands on the site of what was formerly the Cartierville Airport (1911-1988 CYCV).

Here's a list of some of the more interesting aircraft that were built in the building I was visiting:

Noorduyn Norseman

CL-84 Dynavert (Canada built and flew a "tilt-rotor" two decades before Bell-Boeing made the V-22)

CL-215/415 waterbomber

The large building in the top right section of that image is what is today Plant 1. Of course there's a lot of "new" structure in the building there, but some of the "old" remains. The area I was visiting today in particular... old, hardwood flooring, wooden staircase, etc. Definitely remnants of decades long past, because seriously... who puts hardwood flooring in a factory? Apparently even some of the old wooden catwalks remain above the production floor, with the surfaces worn smooth from decades of use. I didn't get up there to see those though.

If you click this Google Maps link it should show the present-day situation from more or less the same angle as the image at the link above: Google Maps

Love those PBY-5's.

IMG_0827 copy

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 4

On 7/12/2022 at 11:56 AM, RaceAddict said:

@Sergeant Pretty outstanding looking. The Catalina/Canso is yet another on my seemingly ever-expanding list of aircraft I'd like to build one day... 

Thank you @RaceAddict

Harold

Edited by Sergeant

17 hours ago, JackG said:

Facebook posting from a recent airshow in Alberta.  CF-18 tail artwork for the 401 'Ram" Squadron:

293596216_10158660121560849_720326706210

293528398_10158660121655849_308026096703

Cool! If there were decals for this I might have to overcome my dislike of the Kinetic kit.

4 hours ago, zebra said:

Cool! If there were decals for this I might have to overcome my dislike of the Kinetic kit.

Is it so bad? I've considered making one at some point in the future for my 1/48 Canadian Collection.

9 hours ago, RaceAddict said:

Is it so bad? I've considered making one at some point in the future for my 1/48 Canadian Collection.

It's not that it's a bad kit. I've completed one and was very happy with it. But it has quite a few fit issues, nothing unsurmountable, nothing that can't be dealt with with a little modelling skill and so on, but I just ended up feeling bored and unenthusiastic about the last one I started and didn't finish. I have no problem building kits that have much worse fit issues - I've built enough from Amodel after all! - I think it's just that I accept them, even relish the challenges they bring, in short run kits etc, but when I'm dealing with a nicely detailed, good looking kit like the Kinetic Hornet these issues just sap my mojo and I end up wanting to build something else. I'm happy to admit I'm the problem here!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 3:25 PM, RaceAddict said:

Noorduyn Norseman

CL-215/415 waterbomber

I worked there from 82-85 on the CL-227 Sentinel before I headed to Boeing to work on the V-22. The CL-84 was actually a tilt-wing which is a different control challenge to a tilt rotor. But yeah, that was a pretty old school factory. Happy years spent there (except for the freezing winters). 

• Like 1

To the Canadian GB massif and in particular @zebra. Before I throw my hat into the ring with a build(s), do I have to have a separate thread for each model or can I have one thread to build multiple models of the same type eg. Sabres?

Stuart

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Courageous said:

To the Canadian GB massif and in particular @zebra. Before I throw my hat into the ring with a build(s), do I have to have a separate thread for each model or can I have one thread to build multiple models of the same type eg. Sabres?

Stuart

Multiple builds of the same type in one thread is fine with me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I'll be rejoining again later this week.

Having scored this black Airfix Chipmunk at IPMS Avon show today.

Had to be done as WG486 figures in my old ATC log book, for 2 AE Flights.

Airfix-Chipmunk.jpg

Ooooh thats pretty, my favorite scheme on the type. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Is it too late to join this..? I have a Boston Mk III coming in the mail next week. 

Hi Jeff, the GB runs until October 23 so there's still lots of time, please join the fun!

• Like 2