Canadian GB Chat

zebra

14 hours ago, zebra said:

welcome aboard.

20 hours ago, JeroenS said:

please join the fun!

Woohoo, thanks! Can't believe I missed it until now but I'm glad I saw it. I feel special being Canadian and participating. May have to use the banner and all 🍁 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 3:24 AM, Jeff G said:

Woohoo, thanks! Can't believe I missed it until now but I'm glad I saw it. I feel special being Canadian and participating. May have to use the banner and all 🍁 

Stompin' Tom Connors - Sudbury Saturday Night (Live at The Horseshoe Tavern) - YouTube

Just for you,

regards

CanAdrian

• Like 1

Would love to do another but my mojo is just not there even with the now cooler days allowing time in the shed. Also I have around a dozen suitable kits to make for thid GB , I am finding it hard to decide on one.

They are:

CL-415, Norseman, Otter, Twin Otter, CF-5A, CF-5B, F-86 Sabre, Mustang, Beaver, 1/144 DC-4 as PWA, CF-18, CF-105  and a couple others I can't think of. But all of these I have already in my collection except the CF-105 and CF-5s , the latter two could also go in the F-5 GB....

11 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Would love to do another but my mojo is just not there even with the now cooler days allowing time in the shed. Also I have around a dozen suitable kits to make for thid GB , I am finding it hard to decide on one.

They are:

CL-415, Norseman, Otter, Twin Otter, CF-5A, CF-5B, F-86 Sabre, Mustang, Beaver, I/144 DC-4 as PWA, CF-18, CF-105  and a couple others I can't think of. But all of these I have already in my collection except the CF-105 and CF-5s , the latter two could also go in the F-5 GB....

Paul, going out and smelling the slightly cooler air will do you wonders. Am sure you can pop another one off - I particularly like the Norseman!

I need to leap back into my Junkers. My family has been away for a week so I have been sorting the house out. I should have spent a bit of time modelling- am I stupid or what ?

Hope to see you in the not too distant future 😊

On 29/08/2022 at 20:59, Adrian Hills said:

Paul, going out and smelling the slightly cooler air will do you wonders. 

Hi Ade and all. I have been out in the open air a lot. Especially since joining the gliding club!!! The Norseman may happen with a civilian set of decals planned for it. Found another few kits I could do. CMR resin 1/144 Martin Mars to go with the other one I already have built. Then there are a couple slightly diff versions of the Beech C-45 again with civvy schemes earmarked for them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Might have time to do one other from those I list above somewhere or one of  these: Sword Grumman Goose as a TPA all in yellow, 1/144 Catalina as an all white RCAF one, A couple Tamiya Mossies for survey schemes, or CL-415 if nobody wants to buy it.

• Like 2

Paul, 1/144 Catalina! Do it 😊

Just got back to my W34, wings on and fuselage together. Not far from a black Alclad undercoat before silver to topcoat.

Water lining the floats was a real task. Either my Dremel saw was melting and reforming the plastic or my razor saw is worn out after ‘just’ 31 years.        Maybe a new saw.

tomorrow I will look at my Ju 52/1m

😊

On 9/29/2022 at 5:00 AM, Paul J said:

Might have time to do one other from those I list above somewhere or one of  these: Sword Grumman Goose as a TPA all in yellow, 1/144 Catalina as an all white RCAF one, A couple Tamiya Mossies for survey schemes, or CL-415 if nobody wants to buy it.

Another vote for the Catalina here!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, this is a bit of a cheeky one, because I'm not in the build.

Are there any decals that show the Canada wordmark, the one with a flag near the last 'a'?
Preferably with word 'Canada' in red, and the flag behind that last 'a'.

I'm asking because I've messed up a decal like that, from a now out of print decal sheet.

On 10/15/2022 at 6:26 AM, Robert Stuart said:

Guys, this is a bit of a cheeky one, because I'm not in the build.

Are there any decals that show the Canada wordmark, the one with a flag near the last 'a'?
Preferably with word 'Canada' in red, and the flag behind that last 'a'.

I'm asking because I've messed up a decal like that, from a now out of print decal sheet.

Just used - check if you are modelling the 'one ocean' or 'two ocean' wordmark first.  Different sizes for different types.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

Just used - check if you are modelling the 'one ocean' or 'two ocean' wordmark first.  Different sizes for different types.

Thanks Patrick.
Tried googling, but didn't find any reference to the one or two ocean wordmarks.

I'm modelling an F-5A, 116703 in ceremonial colours (link), the wordmark on the nearest wing tank.
There are/were (at least) three airframes with similar, but different, schemes, 116703 is the one of interest.

10 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks Patrick.
Tried googling, but didn't find any reference to the one or two ocean wordmarks.

I'm modelling an F-5A, 116703 in ceremonial colours (link), the wordmark on the nearest wing tank.
There are/were (at least) three airframes with similar, but different, schemes, 116703 is the one of interest.

Try Above and Below. They have that scheme listed. They print on demand. 

https://www.abovebelow.ca/product/396-canadair-cf-5-cf-116-419-sqn-1989-special-bruce-the-moose-/690?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=101

They took over the artwork from Canmilair. I recently bought the Silver Star Mako shark decal sheet from them and although I haven't used them yet they look to be nicely printed. 

Carl

• Thanks 1

Very close to the end now! I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's builds in this GB. How many more will make it into the gallery before it closes - just under 25 hours to go? One of mine - the Buffalo - probably won't make it as there's just a bit too much to do, but I'm hopeful of getting the Dash 7 done. Best of luck to everyone who's trying to get builds finished!

• Like 4

Good day all,

I never did quite finish my Bronco Ram Tank build, close but not quite.  I just posted my last update to my WIP.

A thoroughly enjoyable Group Build.

Thank you to @zebra as our host and a well done to all participants.

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

We’ll we’re at the end of the GB and it seems like it started yesterday! Many thanks to everyone who’s taken part. I’ve really enjoyed all your builds and learned a few new things along the way.

many, many thanks everyone 

Julian

• Like 8

This was the first GB in which I participated as well as the first WIP thread. I really enjoyed taking the WIP photos and writing the descriptions. Thanks, Julian, for putting it together. I'll look forward to taking part in another one sometime.

Cheers, Pip

• Like 2

My first GB too and I really enjoyed it (funny how the time creeps up on you though). Some really superb entries so congratulations to all involved.  Many thanks, of course, to Julian for herding the cats!

Best regards 

Peter 

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Julian, for having a Canadian GB. I did not really get started on my Lancaster because my vision was impaired. I have wanted to build a 1/48 Lancaster for several years and decided in August it can wait until I have eye surgery. I kept plugging along all year on a 1/48 Catalina I started last December, but it's hard to do a quality build with poor vision.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:22 PM, zebra said:

We’ll we’re at the end of the GB and it seems like it started yesterday! Many thanks to everyone who’s taken part. I’ve really enjoyed all your builds and learned a few new things along the way.

many, many thanks everyone 

Julian

Thanks for this superb group build Julian. It wasn't possible for me to complete my Canadian Starfighter in time. It's still in the masking stage for its tiger stripes but will get finished at least in the next few weeks. Would it be possible to move my build thread to the Work in progress - Aircraft section or can I just carry on with the build thread?

Martin

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Thanks for this superb group build Julian. It wasn't possible for me to complete my Canadian Starfighter in time. It's still in the masking stage for its tiger stripes but will get finished at least in the next few weeks. Would it be possible to move my build thread to the Work in progress - Aircraft section or can I just carry on with the build thread?

Martin

Thanks! You're free to carry on with the build thread in the GB section - I'll be doing that with the Buffalo that I couldn't get finished before the GB ended. If you want to move it to work in progress, not sure if I'm able to do that, but let us know and I'll see if I can, otherwise I assume Enzo would be able to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zebra said:

Thanks! You're free to carry on with the build thread in the GB section - I'll be doing that with the Buffalo that I couldn't get finished before the GB ended. If you want to move it to work in progress, not sure if I'm able to do that, but let us know and I'll see if I can, otherwise I assume Enzo would be able to.

Thanks mate, I'll keep it going here then & when it's done it will go in the main RFI. Cheers

Martin