Canadian GB Chat

zebra

36 minutes ago, zebra said:

This has got me thinking - do Canadians use American spellings? ie do the northern neighbors have southern neighbours or neighbors?

My experience from living in Ontario for seven years, plus a couple of Canadian wives, was that generally a more English rather than American spelling was used. However, 'garbage' was used rather than 'rubbish' and in Alberta I think there was a tendency to use 'faucet' rather than 'tap'. Amusingly some of the Americanisms are more archaic than the terms used in England

• Like 2

Nice collection of Flight Colours decals. The only one I have remains or is the T-33 one of which bits of will be used on my build. My main collection of Canuckian decals are Leading Edge sets but I am selling most of them as I have done quite a lot and don't  really have any more room to store the built models. For some civvy ones I have some of those Whiskey Jack ones.

5 hours ago, zebra said:

This has got me thinking - do Canadians use American spellings? ie do the northern neighbors have southern neighbours or neighbors?

In that particular example we do use the British spelling.   It was a lot more strict when Canada was first created, and our first prime minister Sir John A. MacDonald ordered that the country  follow British spelling.  Today, I think government documents and schools at all levels still strictly adhere to this, but outside of this American spelling has trickled over the border.

There are some words that are not used at all, or at least not regularly.  British have lorry, tyre, spanner, and torch.   We have truck, wrench, tire, and flashlight, though torch is used for the simpler open flame on a stick - well the large one like when inside a cave.   It's also a verb of course.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zebra said:

We do use the British spelling, but mostly just to urine-off our southern neighbours.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

We do use the British spelling, but mostly just to urine-off our southern neighbours.

Chris

They get mad when we mention why the White House is white.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Stickler said:

A belated Happy Canada Day to all the Canucks in the GB!

I feel that I should do something typically Canadian.  Any suggestions?

Best regards 

Peter 

Hockey, Beer, swimming in a slough?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Stickler said:

A belated Happy Canada Day to all the Canucks in the GB!

I feel that I should do something typically Canadian.  Any suggestions?

Best regards 

Peter 

If you’re in Kanaduh I recommend a case of 24 monosyllabic beers such us 50, OV or Bud follwed by a plate full of suicide wings - never did me any harm…..🤪

8 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

If you’re in Kanaduh I recommend a case of 24 monosyllabic beers such us 50, OV or Bud follwed by a plate full of suicide wings - never did me any harm…..🤪

I like the sound of Canada.   Beer seems to feature heavily!

• Like 1

Hairy Tickler, you obviously haven’t been to Canada. At the end of parties you will see lots of half drunk beer bottles as it got warm and people could taste it! Mind you the Brick Brewery beer in Waterloo, Ontario wasn’t too bad 😊🇨🇦

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

At the end of parties you will see lots of half drunk beer bottles

Haven't they heard of minesweeping over there?  :shrug:

Mike

• Haha 2

On 7/1/2022 at 9:09 AM, Adrian Hills said:

Amusingly some of the Americanisms are more archaic than the terms used in England

Most of them are. The American spellings, and even the accent, have remained fairly constant since the seventeenth century. In Britain however it became fashionable in the eighteenth century to speak French and affect French manners and spellings. With that in mind, it always seems absurd to criticise 'Americanisms'

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

A couple of Canadian RCAF Rescue kits have just appeared on Kingkit,  if anyone is looking for a subject to build.  There's lots of other new and pre-owned subjects and scales that could be suitable,  some out of production etc.

Mike

|That looks like a good deal 🙂 And I believe Paul Janicki still has similar decals for a DC3 too

• Like 1

Did I already ask about the red Bristol FE.2 on skis used in the film 'Death Hunt' with Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin?  Can I build that?

It's flown by the RCMP...in a work of fiction...not sure if it is in the book...

Today is Independence Day in America, 4th of July and I believe it's important to remember what that means to our citizens. We celebrate by raising our flag, gathering with friends and family, watching fireworks, cooking hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill, and giving thanks to God.

Originally Independence Day was about the American Revolutionary War of 1775, but today it means much more. For those who love freedom independence means sacrifice and responsibility. You have heard it said that freedom is not free it will cost you everything you have. Those words are true, many have paid for our freedom with their life.

The picture below is a dedication of our Veteran's memorial performed by the local Scout troop. Most of the adult men and women in the photograph are combat veterans and their wives or husbands.

Harold

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, John Masters said:

Did I already ask about the red Bristol FE.2 on skis used in the film 'Death Hunt' with Charles Bronson and Lee Marvin?  Can I build that?

It's flown by the RCMP...in a work of fiction...not sure if it is in the book...

Can't remember if you've already asked but it fits the rules - Canadian subject from a published work of fiction (which would include films). So go for it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sergeant said:

Today is Independence Day in America, 4th of July and I believe it's important to remember what that means to our citizens. We celebrate by raising our flag, gathering with friends and family, watching fireworks, cooking hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill, and giving thanks to God.

For those of us who love freedom independence means sacrifice and responsibility. You have heard it said that freedom is not free it will cost you everything you have. Those words are true, many have paid for our freedom with their life.

The picture below is a dedication of our Veteran's memorial performed by the local Scout troop. Most of the adult men and women in the photograph are combat veterans and their wives or husbands.

Harold

spacer.png

Fine. But what does this have to do with this Canadian GB chat?

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 2:45 PM, Paul J said:

Fine. But what does this have to do with this Canadian GB chat?

Maybe everything, Paul.

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sergeant said:

Maybe everything, Paul. My understanding is the Canadian Group Build is about Canadians represented in what they built and operated. The scale model I chose to build is the first Canadian built Lancaster. My uncle was an American Royal Canadian Air Force Flying Officer who flew 11 RAF missions over Germany in the same kind of aircraft with his crew of British and Canadian airmen before they were killed. These brave young men and many others like them died for a cause that allows British, Canadian, Australia, American and all our allies the freedom we have today. This is what Independence Day has to do with my Canadian group built model.

By the way Paul my wife’s family is from Sussex, so if you know any Hoadley or Benson families in East or West Sussex they are probably relatives. I am an old Vietnam War veteran and enjoy this hobby we share on line, but for me it is inseparably from the history these scale models represent.

Harold

spacer.png

Sorry. I meant no malice but your story is very interesting nevertheless. 're your family in Sussex I haven't across that name.

• Like 2