Canadian GB Chat

zebra

1 hour ago, Sergeant said:

Before the recommendation of this product is lost in discussion about the postage and packaging, I will set the record straight. I live in Washington State, USA and we are a long way from Poznan, Poland. If anyone is really interested in trying VMS (Vantage Modeling Solutions) Products I would suggest you check out their list of Partners https://www.vms-supplies.com/buy-now. They have stores in Australia, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Belgium & France, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Germany, Finland, Greece, Netherlands, Spain, and Switzerland.

My personal experience: I started ordering VMS products from Poland two years ago when the Covid-19 pandemic hit the United States. I have used 14 difference VMS products since then and a few of them I have reordered three times because I use them so often. Each shipment I have received from VMS was carefully packaged, and the box was completely enclosed in plastic, so if anything, accidentally leaked it would remain contained in the box. I have never had a single issue with VMS shipments.

As for the cost of postage, I created a screenshot this morning from VMS's website, as you can see shipping from Poznan, Poland to Washington State via Priority Airmail is $5.90. So, ask yourself is the product worth a try? That is an individual call that each of us make, but in my case, I wanted a decal product that virtually eliminates the carrier film so my decals appear to be painted on (please see example below). Caution, I can't stress this enough. To use any decal product that is capable of dissolving (softening) the carrier film your paint must be seven plus days old, or when applying over gloss varnish, the varnish must be five plus days old. This is what the manufactures recommends and if you get in a hurry like I do sometimes you will be disappointed.

Harold

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes, tongue in cheek comments aside, I'm also in WA state in the US and I was quoted $5.90 postage, so I'm not sure what the glitch is for the UK or elsewhere. 

It's an interesting product and I've had great experiences buying models and supplies from various eastern European countries (Poland, Lithuania, Czechia and Ukraine, even after they got invaded.) Nothing but great appreciation for their innovation and dedication to turning out interesting products.

• Like 1

To verify my comments I asked the owner of VMS to take a look at what I said about the products. Chris pointed out there is a special arrangement for UK customers that will save money, so UK members please take a look at the information below.

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sergeant said:

To verify my comments I asked the owner of VMS to take a look at what I said about his products. Chris pointed out there is a special arrangement for UK customers which I do not profess to understand, but I can see it will save you money, so UK members please take a look at the information below.

spacer.png

Ah, Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving...

• Haha 2

Hmmmm.... I thought I had signed on long ago.

Alas, it seems I did not - seems I am starting to forget things before I even think of them.

Please add me to the group - I am thinking  a Ram Tank with a wee bit of kitbashing to turn it into a Ram Tank ARV Mk. 1

cheers, Graham 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Alas, it seems I did not - seems I am starting to forget things before I even think of them.

Please add me to the group - I am thinking  a Ram Tank with a wee bit of kitbashing to turn it into a Ram Tank ARV Mk. 1

cheers, Graham 

Welcome aboard Graham. I don't know what a Ram Tank ARV Mk. 1 looks like, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

• Like 4

On 6/19/2022 at 2:38 PM, ColonelKrypton said:

cheers, Graham 

Good luck with Ram l will be following  your build , wellzy 

• Like 1

Like Graham @ColonelKrypton, I thought I'd signed up for this GB a while back, when I said I'd build a Canadian Leopard, but I cannot find myself on the list. Not to worry - I still intend to take part, if that's okay? However, I have changed my mind as to what I'm going to build. I'm now intending to make this:

52157734593_3232f090bb_b.jpg

I will build it as one of these two:

52157734558_f22a8d2745_b.jpg

I haven't decided which yet.

Jerry Billing, a Canadian pilot, flew the original aircraft in the RCAF during 1944.

I made the 1/48 version of this kit for the D-Day GB way back in 2014:

15145960260_03b754d0da_b.jpg

Looking forward to starting the 1/72nd version.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

due to personal reasons I do not know if I will get to start this build on time, however, I am confident I can get some work done on the Otter and join in, even if I don't get finished.... i will lurk anyway to watch the great builds unfold

• Like 2

My planned build(s) keeps growing (doing more than one) or changing.  Last week this image of the Globemaster was posted on facebook, and I thought it was so stunning  that I wanted to build one.   The Revell 1/144 kit appears to be long sold out, except for a few lurkers on evilbay at exuberant prices.  Maybe they will reissue it in the future in time for another group build,   The RCAF 100th anniversary is coming up in 2024.., :hmmm:

289285295-802124950964419-44454584317793

Edited by JackG
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

I thought I'd signed up for this GB a while back, when I said I'd build a Canadian Leopard, but I cannot find myself on the list. Not to worry - I still intend to take part, if that's okay?

It's quite possible that you did sign up but I forgot to add you to the list! You're on the list now, welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing your Spit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackG said:

My planned build(s) keeps growing (doing more than one) or changing.  Last week this image of the Globemaster was posted on facebook, and I thought it was so stunning  that I wanted to build one.   The Revell 1/144 kit appears to be long sold out, except for a few lurkers on evilbay at exuberant prices.  Maybe they will reissue it in the future in time for another group build,   The RCAF 100th anniversary is coming up in 2024.., :hmmm:

You could build it here, provided you find a kit ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robw_uk said:

due to personal reasons I do not know if I will get to start this build on time, however, I am confident I can get some work done on the Otter and join in, even if I don't get finished.... i will lurk anyway to watch the great builds unfold

That's the spirit - do as much or as little as you can or want to, but enjoy the GB!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackG said:

That's a stunning photo. Hope you manage to find a kit at a reasonable price. It reminds me that I've got a part-built (less than 25%) one in the stash that I could add to the list of possible builds, which doesn't make deciding what to build any easier!

• Like 3

There's probably the odd boxing of Revell's Globemaster in places like department stores or other vendors that are not connected to the internet.  I looked through ten pages of links through google, all sold out.  Another option would be the Hercules of which Canada has way more of in their inventory (29, compared to only 5 of the Globemaster).  Minicraft do them in 144 scale, but have read there are a number of detail issues, least of which is the wing.  Again, hopes are Zvezda will downscale their 72nd version.

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JackG said:

There's probably the odd boxing of Revell's Globemaster in places like department stores or other vendors that are not connected to the internet.  I looked through ten pages of links through google, all sold out.  Another option would be the Hercules of which Canada has way more of in their inventory (29, compared to only 5 of the Globemaster).  Minicraft do them in 144 scale, but have read there are a number of detail issues, least of which is the wing.  Again, hopes are Zvezda will downscale their 72nd version.

regards,

Jack

There is always the 1/200 Hasegawa kit ? Just dont know if decals would exist. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

I've  settled on building  my Heller T-33 as an all over dark green CAF example with a little seat set by True  Details and decals from my dedicated Canada decals box. 

As I am having a clear out of surplus stuff, I have  lot of Canadian decals not wanted. So if any one is after some, let me know .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mattp7999 said:

@zebra Hi there can I put my name down to join this Group Build please. Many regards Matt 🙂

Of course, welcome along! You don't really need to put your name down - just start a build thread and get going (when the start date arrives of course)

16 hours ago, Paul J said:

I've  settled on building  my Heller T-33 as an all over dark green CAF example with a little seat set by True  Details and decals from my dedicated Canada decals box. 

Nice choice Paul. I'm hoping to see a few CT-133s in the GB.

• Thanks 1

Looking forward  to this build , small problem  atm can't  download  any  pictures  so will sort  it out 

Wellzy 

Hey @zebra. Thanks for the promoting/hosting job on this very inclusive GB. We'll have a great variety of builds going on through the summer.

You know at the start of this thread where you give the Canadian motto in Latin and French (or Sicilian, as Google identified Canadian French)? How about adding an English version to save other obsessive people like me having to look it up. 😁  

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Hey @zebra. Thanks for the promoting/hosting job on this very inclusive GB. We'll have a great variety of builds going on through the summer.

You know at the start of this thread where you give the Canadian motto in Latin and French (or Sicilian, as Google identified Canadian French)? How about adding an English version to save other obsessive people like me having to look it up. 😁  

Thanks! My first time hosting a GB and I want it to be a good one so will be trying to get into everyone’s builds and be a pretty active host. Got a busy period at work soon so I hope I can keep it up! And I’m in the UK at the moment (actually sitting in the cafe at Cosford right now!) so no builds for me until I’m back down under, but I’ll get stuck on when I get back.

As for the motto - that wasn’t me - but Google tells me it means ‘from sea to sea’

18 minutes ago, zebra said:

Thanks! My first time hosting a GB and I want it to be a good one so will be trying to get into everyone’s builds and be a pretty active host. Got a busy period at work soon so I hope I can keep it up! And I’m in the UK at the moment (actually sitting in the cafe at Cosford right now!) so no builds for me until I’m back down under, but I’ll get stuck on when I get back.

As for the motto - that wasn’t me - but Google tells me it means ‘from sea to sea’

Oh I know what it means. And it’s a long way between them. 

I might be hosting a GB next year with a bit of luck and some votes so I’ll be watching what works for you. 

And Cosford? You’re just round the corner from this pub, in Aussie measure!

• Like 1

Mind is made  up , the Airfix  1/48 Canadian  Sabre F4 , not sure  which  Squadron  yet ,lm looking  forward  to the 1st July  

Wellzy  

• Like 1