Canadian GB Chat

zebra

13 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

And adding this Canadair Sabre.

Airfix-Sabre.jpg

To build as a metal finish RAF Sabre Ferry Flight - to compliment a camo aircraft I've already modelled.

Seems that all Sabres were ferried to the UK, unpainted, and camo applied on arrival.  Photos show just RAF insignias.

Nice choice, it’ll look great in that scheme

12 hours ago, franky boy said:

Hello chaps

Just to confirm as I continue to round up my build options. Canadair Sabres in RAF markings are ok for this GB? It’s either one of these or an RCAF Starfighter at the moment. 

Thanks

James

Definitely eligible, I’m thinking about building a Canadair Sabre in non-Canadian (but probably not RAF) markings myself.

7 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

It's mentioned as a specific example on the first post of this thread.

I'm counting on no exception appearing on page 6, 'cos I can't be bothered to read any chat thread in its entirety for every edge case.

No need to read page 6, it’s in! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paul J said:

If I can get back into modelling again by the start date I'm sure I will have decided what to build by then. Still have several decals, more than I need and kits to choose from.  Maybe the CL415 lurking in my stash...

I hope you can join, but no pressure of course. A CL-415 would be great!

Time for your host to ask a question - can anyone tell me what, if any, external differences there are between a British-built Lancaster and a Lancaster X? 

I’ve read that some of them had a different mid-upper turret but that’s not an issue for me as the one I’m planning didn’t have one anyway. Otherwise I think it’s externally identical to a B.III unless there’s something I’m missing?

There is a different turret. It was a Martin designed one   something along the lines of the top turret on B-24 25,  etc. They were also 6 feet further forward.

• Thanks 1

On 23/04/2022 at 22:13, zebra said:

I hope you can join, but no pressure of course. A CL-415 would be great!

I have 15 possible candidates. Just found a Heller T-33 among them that I could do .

• Like 1

125-C5-C03-22-E0-4-D97-BDB7-CDFAF70-AE91Wasn’t sure if I’d participate but I’ve finally found the perfect fit for me, a Fokker DVII, some 50 of which were  flown by number 1 squadron CAF  alongside their Sopwith Dolphins, hmm I  do have a Dolphin in the stash too, would be a nice double build.

Ok so that’s a plan. DVII and a Dolphin both in no 1 Squadron markings.

• Like 8

On 4/28/2022 at 4:47 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

Okay, I have a serious demand for you lot.  Stop showing me pictures of Canadair Sabres!   Just stoppit, okay!      :nono:

We might need a separate gallery for all the Sabres!

On 4/28/2022 at 6:43 PM, Marklo said:

125-C5-C03-22-E0-4-D97-BDB7-CDFAF70-AE91Wasn’t sure if I’d participate but I’ve finally found the perfect fit for me, a Fokker DVII, some 50 of which were  flown by number 1 squadron CAF  alongside their Sopwith Dolphins, hmm I  do have a Dolphin in the stash too, would be a nice double build.

Ok so that’s a plan. DVII and a Dolphin both in no 1 Squadron markings.

That's a really cool choice - not at all what I was expecting

• Thanks 1

Another interesting  Fokker was this one flown by Canadian Ace William Barker for Toronto-New York Air Race of August 1919  It was emblazoned with the number 50, which coincidentally is also his tally of aircraft shot down during WWI. 

60f85ae67a08a3452cbb83c3_Fokker-D-VII--M

2039-2.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 4

I was wondering if I could add my name to the Group build. I have the Platz T33 with some rather nice Belcher Bits decals for Canadian T33s. It looks a nice kit and a bit of an antidote to the Mach2 Argosy that is in the factory at the moment.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 2:20 AM, LorenSharp said:

Depending on How the future holds I'm going to try fro one or both of these

51701695184_f3358e47a8_h.jpg

51701695199_c2fe3a166b_b.jpg

I have a feeling 2022 is going to be a busy building year.

Yes, Yes, Yes - A real big Canadian Lanc.

Doo it

Canadrian 🙂

• Like 4

Hi People,

I have a Junkers 52/1M (ie single engine Ju 52) and a Junkers UW34 all ready to go with conversion parts and decals.

However, as a third model I'd love to do the Fleet Fort. Don't have a kit of this - I bought one a few years ago but when it arrived the vac-form crumbled. So if anyone has a kit ?

Cheers

CanAdrian 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 3:15 PM, Adrian Hills said:

Yes, Yes, Yes - A real big Canadian Lanc.

Doo it

Canadrian 🙂

Hello Adrian, I see you are from East Sussex, my wife’s family is from East Hoathly. I am looking forward to this Canadian Group Build especially if you are doing a 1/48 Lancaster too. My uncle was an RCAF pilot and flew Lancaster's in 153 Squadron for RAF Bomber Command during the war. His last aircraft was serial number PB633 P4-J.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 12:01 AM, Mr T said:

I was wondering if I could add my name to the Group build. I have the Platz T33 with some rather nice Belcher Bits decals for Canadian T33s. It looks a nice kit and a bit of an antidote to the Mach2 Argosy that is in the factory at the moment.

Welcome aboard! A T-33 (or CT-133) would be a great addition to the GB!

On 4/30/2022 at 8:25 AM, Adrian Hills said:

Hi People,

I have a Junkers 52/1M (ie single engine Ju 52) and a Junkers UW34 all ready to go with conversion parts and decals.

However, as a third model I'd love to do the Fleet Fort. Don't have a kit of this - I bought one a few years ago but when it arrived the vac-form crumbled. So if anyone has a kit ?

Cheers

CanAdrian 🙂

I can't help with a kit but I really hope you find one. The unusual design and overall yellow scheme would really stand out in the gallery so I'd love to see it in the GB.

• Like 1

“In Canadian aviation, one of those touchstones is the story of the Ruhr Express, the first Lancaster bomber built here, part of an ambitious program that not only helped win the Second World War but contributed to the formation of a modern aviation industry that is among the best in the world.“ Article by Ben Forrest, May 26, 2017.

https://skiesmag.com/news/remembering-ruhr-express/

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

Hi Harold,

i was commenting on you doing the 1/48 Lanc. Have made about ten Lanc models in the past including a 1/144 VRA - in honour of my Canadian friend Bill Christie who once got a flight in it and made a 1/33 Guillows kit and covered it in plastic to look like VRA. The model used to hang in the Canadian Warplane Heritage museum cafe

My main builds will be a Ju 52/1m and Ju W34.If I have time I might do the Canadian Mailplane Lanc in 1/152 converted from the Kader kit.

I live in Eastbourne and in the summer race on a bicycle up and down the A22 from East Hoathly to Boship roundabout twice a week. If you are down this way sometime we must have a pint in the King’s Head.

The Hailsham & District Scale Model Club are having a show on July 2nd in Eastbourne next to the hospital. Please come if you can make it 😊

Cheers

Adrian. (Aka CanAdrian)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Hi Harold,

i was commenting on you doing the 1/48 Lanc. Have made about ten Lanc models in the past including a 1/144 VRA - in honour of my Canadian friend Bill Christie who once got a flight in it and made a 1/33 Guillows kit and covered it in plastic to look like VRA. The model used to hang in the Canadian Warplane Heritage museum cafe

My main builds will be a Ju 52/1m and Ju W34.If I have time I might do the Canadian Mailplane Lanc in 1/152 converted from the Kader kit.

I live in Eastbourne and in the summer race on a bicycle up and down the A22 from East Hoathly to Boship roundabout twice a week. If you are down this way sometime we must have a pint in the King’s Head.

The Hailsham & District Scale Model Club are having a show on July 2nd in Eastbourne next to the hospital. Please come if you can make it 😊

Cheers

Adrian. (Aka CanAdrian)

It would be a great vacation; my wife would love to visit her family and I would definitely like a pint with you. 👍

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

My Kinetic CF-104 arrived in this morning's mail! 😁

Not too bad... all the way from the UK to Montreal in just 10 days. 

What's all this talk about the supply chain breaking down? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

My Kinetic CF-104 arrived in this morning's mail! 😁

Not too bad... all the way from the UK to Montreal in just 10 days. 

What's all this talk about the supply chain breaking down? 

It is a 104 - they tend to go a tad faster 😉😇

• Haha 3

Sign me up!!

I just stumbled across this as well -  I saw the banner in someone’s signature in a reply to the P-40D thread in the WW2 section.

My club just happened to pick this same theme as our 2022 Theme build, so I had already started compiling a list and acquiring a few kits.   I am definitely going to do an Airfix 1/72 Sherman Firefly Mk.VC in Canadian 2nd Armored Brigade markings- I had ordered the decals from Black Lion Decals (in the Netherlands) a week ago.  ( They have decals for three different Canadian units, in both 1/72 and 1/35.) 

I will also be doing one or more of the following (all in 1/72):

Eduard Nieuport 17 in “Billy” Bishop’s markings. (If I can find the decals)

Roden Sopwith Camel, William Barker.

Revell Sopwith Camel, Lloyd Breadner.

Roden SE-5a, Bishop.  (I’ve got one I built 17 years ago, it could stand a replacement.)

Airfix Beaufort Mk.I, in either the 32 OTU or Torpedo Squadron 149, based in Victoria, BC.  (Here is a great site for info on Canadian Beauforts:    https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/post/canadian-warplanes-3-bristol-beaufort )

Academy F2H-3 Banshee, kit includes decals for two RCN aircraft.

That should be enough to pick from…!

-Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Stickler said:

Hi,

I've not taken part in a GB before (I'm relatively new to the forum).

Have I missed the boat/plane/tank for this one?

Thanks very much 

Peter 

Still a month and a half before this one kicks off, so you've not missed anything yet.  The sign-up list is just to get the subject proposal into the bunfight, it's by no means a a list of who can & can't participate.  A few days before July 1st this thread will be moved into the "Current GB" area and people will begin populating their build threads.  Then July 1st the green flag drops and everyone is off to the races.

• Like 1