Canadian GB Chat

zebra

28 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Definitely not David! Welcome aboard. In fact, you can join a group build at any time, even when it has already started. 

Thanks Jeroen!

29 minutes ago, zebra said:

Hi David - not too late at all - anyone with a suitable build is welcome to join any time up until the end of the GB. I have to say I have no idea what a C2 Mexas is so I'm looking forward to finding out! Don't be too nervous about the conversion - you'll find plenty of supportive people on here, this will be a great place to give it a go.

Thank you - it's an uparmoured version of the Leopard 1 - this is the conversion kit I have... https://www.scalemates.com/kits/modell-trans-modellbau-mt72166-leopard-c2a1-mexas-isaf--224097

David

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Oh! Nice to bump into this one! I'm having so fun building my first Hornet ever that by summer, I may be seen slipping into this one too... but no promises yet 😇

That's fine VP, we'll see you when you get there 🙂 

On 24/11/2021 at 02:20, LorenSharp said:

Depending on How the future holds I'm going to try fro one or both of these

51701695184_f3358e47a8_h.jpg

51701695199_c2fe3a166b_b.jpg

I have a feeling 2022 is going to be a busy building year.

Nice choice. I have done a Lanc using the same decals built some years ago now. You can see pics of it here on  under 'Show us your  Lancasters" 

Meanwhile I have lots to choose from seeing as I have been building mainly Canadian subjects.  Also will have lots of spare decals if anyone should need anything.

• Like 2

The Kinetic CF-104 is out and highly likely to be added to my stash. And I can’t be the only one here thinking about shortening the wingtips of the upcoming Airfix F-86F-40 to turn it into a Sabre Mk.6. Choosing what to build is going to get even harder!

• Like 2

Evening all, may I join with a 1/72 Spitfire T9, MJ627, currently operated by Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar but of RCAF heritage during WW2 albeit as a single seater back then? It still flies with the 9G-Q serial from 441sqn and has a Maple Leaf by the cockpit!

looking forward to July

Graham

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Graham77 said:

Evening all, may I join with a 1/72 Spitfire T9, MJ627, currently operated by Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar but of RCAF heritage during WW2 albeit as a single seater back then? It still flies with the 9G-Q serial from 441sqn and has a Maple Leaf by the cockpit!

looking forward to July

Graham

Warbird with Canadian heritage with Canadian markings - sounds Canadian enough to me. Welcome aboard!

5 hours ago, wellzy said:

Hi Zebra

Are you allowing  the 25 % rule on this Build  ? 

Cheers Wellzy 

Hi Wellzy

I think we should have a 25% rule but I intend to be a pretty lenient GB host. What have you got in mind?

I'd like to join in but need to start by asking for a bit of advice/confirmation on RCAF Sabres.

My father was on 416 Squadron in Grostenquin France in 1953/54 flying the Sabre II and Sabre V. (He is still with us , turning 90 years old this year!)

I have a Hasegawa Sabre V with markings for 416, although it is in camouflage rather than natural metal, No problem, I can deal with that.

box.jpg

There are plenty to choose from, I.e.

log2.jpg

I'd quite like to do Sabre 19250 as it appears in my fathers log book being flown down to Rabat, and also memorably into Manchester Ringway. He was delivering it from France for refurbishment on onward sale to the Turkish airforce, but it makes a connection with my local airport!

log1.jpg

There is a good picture of 19250 on the silverhawkauthor website scroll down or open it directly Here 

My questions are:

1) That the photo is captioned as a Sabre V, but the logbook entries show it as a Sabre II. I assume the caption is wrong?

2) Then I need a a kit of a Sabre II, which I have always thought was the Canadair equivalent of the F-86E, am I correct?

3) Finally, the only currently available kit in 1/48 is the Italeri F-86E. Is it any good?

I probably won't make 2 Sabres for the GB, but I'd quite like to do 19250 if I can get a suitable kit, in preference to the Mk.V. 

Any comments much appreciated,

John

• Like 1

It does seem the Silverhawkauthor site is contradicting itself.  At the very top of their page, they list the various marks and serials of the Sabre, and there it does place 19250 as a Mk II.

This site also list it as such:

http://www.rwrwalker.ca/RCAF_19201_19250_detailed.html

A site dedicated to 416 Squadron again reaffirms this, though they only give some sample serials:

https://www.rcafassociation.ca/heritage/history/post-second-world-war-rcaf/416-squadron/

---------------------------

Lastly, though nothing on Canadian Sabres, this publisher on Canadian aircraft might have some handy reference material, and the option to purchase downloadable pdf versions is a nice cheaper alternative:

https://www.kestrelpublications.com/shop-online

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

Hello John @Viking you are welcome.

Found this overview about the Canadian built Sabres as quoted 'the Mk 2 was essentially an F‑86E with an “all flying” tail plane to provide better flying characteristics, as well as a flat windscreen.'

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/aircraft-historical/f-86-sabre.page

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

So yesterday Airfix promised us a 1/48 Chipmunk.  And I've got a 1/72 as well - I'm in.   BOTH still in stash, but might be used in other GBs

And adding this Canadair Sabre.

00-Airfix-Sabre.jpg

To build as a metal finish RAF Sabre Ferry Flight - to compliment a camo aircraft I've already modelled.

Seems that all Sabres were ferried to the UK, unpainted, and camo applied on arrival.  Photos show just RAF insignias.

• Like 2

Hello chaps

Just to confirm as I continue to round up my build options. Canadair Sabres in RAF markings are ok for this GB? It’s either one of these or an RCAF Starfighter at the moment. 

Thanks

James

• Like 1

If I can get back into modelling again by the start date I'm sure I will have decided what to build by then. Still have several decals, more than I need and kits to choose from.  Maybe the CL415 lurking in my stash...

• Like 2

On 23/02/2021 at 14:45, Robert Stuart said:

Been enjoying an ex-CAF two-seat CF-116 (aka licence built F-5) in the Africa GB - and just ordered some overpriced decals for a CAF 419 squadron single-seater.

OK zebra, you've got me, I'm in.  Hope the decals will get here ...

The decals arrived soon after that post - and I'm still planning to build that CAF 419 squadron CF-5 in this build*.

Question.
What colour is a good match for the red Maple leaf on Canadian aircraft in (say) the late 1980's?

*The F-5 STGB starts mid-July, yours truly is host.

There is a list of colour charts from IMPS Canada here:

http://hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/Colour_Guide/

For the question about the red maple leaf on aircraft, I would go with a paint matching FS 31136 as found on this chart:

http://hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/Colour_Guide/aircraft_clr.html

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, franky boy said:

Just to confirm as I continue to round up my build options. Canadair Sabres in RAF markings are ok for this GB?

It's mentioned as a specific example on the first post of this thread.

I'm counting on no exception appearing on page 6, 'cos I can't be bothered to read any chat thread in its entirety for every edge case.

• Like 1

Thanks @JackG, looking at the chart, I think the decals need the second (lower) 509-101, "as applied to CT-134 Musketeers ... a Dupont automotive paint, mixed locally to match the proper colour".

Mixed locally?  OK, think I've got a little wiggle room for colour, will try to match the decal's colour.

• Like 2