Canadian GB Chat

zebra

5 hours ago, JeroenS said:

@zebra @drdjp11 What Chris said. 

Hosts are called upon to decide eligibilty for a certain build. Give a warm welcome to any new builds. Follow the builds and cheer on the sidelines or provide some gentle encouragement (:whip: and/or :fight:). In general just making sure everybody is having fun and gets their build(s) over the line. And also make sure the GB doesn't get too serious :whistle:

What most people like to see as well are some GB stats (how many builds, how many completions, what types of builds etc). I'll be on top of that!

That's awesome - I'll be happy to engage participants and help out with other parts as needed and look forward to learning the ropes. I've certainly appreciated the GB hosts in the two I've been involved in so far (with several more due in the first half of next year).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

Wondering if @Enzo Matrix can point us to a summary of GB host duties?

That's a good question.  I must admit that the GB FAQs are a little out of dat.  I should update them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JeroenS said:

@zebra @drdjp11 What Chris said. 

Hosts are called upon to decide eligibilty for a certain build. Give a warm welcome to any new builds. Follow the builds and cheer on the sidelines or provide some gentle encouragement (:whip: and/or :fight:). In general just making sure everybody is having fun and gets their build(s) over the line. And also make sure the GB doesn't get too serious :whistle:

What most people like to see as well are some GB stats (how many builds, how many completions, what types of builds etc). I'll be on top of that!

@drdjp11 & @zebra … Don't forget that hosts also have the whole wrangling of cats aspect. We also play impartial judge to any issues and disputes that arise. 

• Like 1

I'm in a Canadian mood as I've been watching these 2 guys, father and son, build a log cabin somewhere in Canada's wildernis. Awesome. If you have a couple of hours to kill I'd recommend it. I mean the GB hasn't started yet but we might as well get in a building mood 🙂 

• Like 1

Thanks Enzo and Dennis for the info on hosting duties. @Corsairfoxfouruncle I hope we don't end up with disputes to deal with, hopefully everyone will live up to the Canadian stereotype and be very nice to each other (and say sorry if they're not!).

I can't help thinking of Canadian things to build in the other GBs as well as this. There are obvious options for the F-18 and F-5 STGBs. Big and British could well be a Canadian Lancaster. Bombers could be a CF-104 in the strike role. Century Fighters could obviously be a CF-104 too. And Prototypes etc could be the B-47 testbed for the Orenda Iroquois engine. Could be quite a Canadian-themed year for me!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, zebra said:

Thanks Enzo and Dennis for the info on hosting duties. @Corsairfoxfouruncle I hope we don't end up with disputes to deal with, hopefully everyone will live up to the Canadian stereotype and be very nice to each other (and say sorry if they're not!).

I can't help thinking of Canadian things to build in the other GBs as well as this. There are obvious options for the F-18 and F-5 STGBs. Big and British could well be a Canadian Lancaster. Bombers could be a CF-104 in the strike role. Century Fighters could obviously be a CF-104 too. And Prototypes etc could be the B-47 testbed for the Orenda Iroquois engine. Could be quite a Canadian-themed year for me!

I will help if I can with advice or what not when it cones time. Sadly Ive committed to a full time hosting thing next year and cant promise much. I have several F-18’s and Hornet decal sheets including a few for Canadian bugs. Though Im planning on a Growler for the Bug STGB, and an F-104 here for the Canadian. 

• Like 1

Hello, my name is Harold, I would like to join your Canadian Group Build when the time comes. I have relatives in Nova Scotia and my Uncle Harold was a World War II RCAF pilot who flew Spitfires for the RAF and then Lancaster bombers over Germany until December 1944. I am a veteran of the Vietnam War and member of 153 Squadron Association In Lincolnshire, England. https://www.facebook.com/153-Squadron-Association-379546518887869/

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sergeant said:

Hello, my name is Harold, I would like to join your Canadian Group Build when the time comes. I have relatives in Nova Scotia and my Uncle Harold was a World War II RCAF pilot who flew Spitfires for the RAF and then Lancaster bombers over Germany until December 1944. I am a veteran of the Vietnam War and member of 153 Squadron Association In Lincolnshire, England. https://www.facebook.com/153-Squadron-Association-379546518887869/

Hello Harold, welcome to the forums and to the Canadian GB as well! Do you have a subject in mind for the group build?

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 10:07 PM, JeroenS said:

Hello Harold, welcome to the forums and to the Canadian GB as well! Do you have a subject in mind for the group build?

Thank you Jeroen, yes I would like to build a 1/48 scale Mk. II Spitfire, serial number P7923 or P7926 from 411 RCAF Squadron located at RAF Digby, Great Britain in July 1941. I also have a 1/48 scale Avro Lancaster and I understand Mk. 10 versions were built by Victory Aircraft Ltd. in Malton, Ontario during the Second World War, but I need to do more research before I confirm this project.

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sergeant said:

Thank you Jeroen, yes I would like to build a 1/48 scale Mk. II Spitfire, serial number P7923 or P7926 from 411 RCAF Squadron located at RAF Digby, Great Britain in July 1941. I also have a 1/48 scale AVRO Lancaster and I understand Mk. 10 versions were built by Victory Aircraft Ltd. in Malton, Ontario during the Second World War, but I need to do more research before I confirm this project.

Sounds great, we'll see you then and enjoy your time on the forums. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 11:20 PM, JeroenS said:

Sounds great, we'll see you then and enjoy your time on the forums. 

I have the information I was looking for on the Avro Lancaster bombers built in Canada thanks to my friend Jack Geratic. As it happens I also have HK Models new 1/48 scale Avro Lancaster B Mk.1 which according to the information below was the version used as a pattern for the Lancaster's built in Malton, Ontario. I will need custom decals, but this is the subject I would like to submit during the Canadian Group Build in July 2022 instead of the Spitfire.

spacer.png

(CFJIC-DND Photo, PL-1170 via Don Smith)

Avro Lancaster B Mk. I (Serial No. R5727), built in the UK and flown to Victory Aircraft in Malton, Ontario, in August 1942 to serve as a pattern for the other Lancasters to be built in Canada.  The fabrication drawings had been delivered in January, 1942.  R5727 became the first of the type to conduct a transatlantic crossing.  The first Canadian-built Lancaster was a Mk. X (Serial No. KB700), aka “The Ruhr Express” coming off the line a year after R5727 arrived in Canada.

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 7

Welcome aboard the GB Harold @Sergeant and welcome to Britmodeller. I'm looking forward to seeing your Lancaster - I might build one myself, but in 1/72 and possibly the postwar drone controller, although that might happen in the Big and British group build first - and keen to see what the HKM 1/48 kit is like. It's one of those kits that my heart wants and my head says I don't have space for, but it's kind of in the balance (of course there's also the 1/32 kit, better still the Border 1/32 kit, which my heart really wants, my head says I really don't have space for, and my wallet just laughs at).

10 hours ago, John Masters said:

CF-100 in Belgian markings?

Bring it on, definitely Canadian, definitely qualifies, looking forward to seeing it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:15 AM, Sergeant said:

I found the decals for my Avro Lancaster Mk. X (Serial No. KB700), aka “The Ruhr Express” and they shipped today from Above & Below Scale Graphics in Canada. https://www.abovebelow.ca/product/674-avro-lancaster-mk-x-kb700-ruhr-express/420 

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend 1/72 decals for Canadian CF-101 VooDoo’s ? I received a Revell kit today for Christmas and its either USAF ANG, Active USAF, or RCAF ? If I can find decals it might get built here along with one or two other builds. If not will be in the Century Series build. 

55 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can anyone recommend 1/72 decals for Canadian CF-101 VooDoo’s ? I received a Revell kit today for Christmas and its either USAF ANG, Active USAF, or RCAF ? If I can find decals it might get built here along with one or two other builds. If not will be in the Century Series build. 

You could try Belcher Bits - have a look here. Never used any of his sets but have a couple in the stash and they look pretty nice.

• Thanks 2

Hello @zebra and @Enzo Matrix.

I know I cant sell or trade here in the group build section. However can I let people know that I will have something in the for sale area soon that would be good for this or another build ? If the answer is No I'm fine with that. It just seems a bit of a grey area and looking for clarification. I have items that are surplus and would be helpful to people in a couple of group builds.  

Dennis

46 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @zebra and @Enzo Matrix.

I know I cant sell or trade here in the group build section. However can I let people know that I will have something in the for sale area soon that would be good for this or another build ? If the answer is No I'm fine with that. It just seems a bit of a grey area and looking for clarification. I have items that are surplus and would be helpful to people in a couple of group builds.  

Dennis

I don't have a problem with it, as long as @Enzo Matrix doesn't object.

• Like 1

Another decal brand option, though more than double the price and only includes enough markings for one aircraft:

https://www.abovebelow.ca/s/search?q=voodoo

I've never tried them, but @Sergeant has a ordered a Lancaster set, so maybe he can give some opinion on quality? 

From what I've read in their FAQ they use a high end printer (worth $15K) and is able to print all colours and white in a single pass.  This should eliminate registration problems (unless there is some kind of internal calibration error in the machine itself).  Why I mention this, read on ...

Belcher Bits I have one set for their Seafires, and there was a colour registration problem with the red being off to one side.  The owner was kind enough to send a second sheet free, but it was still slightly off. 

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JackG said:

Another decal brand option, though more than double the price and only includes enough markings for one aircraft:

https://www.abovebelow.ca/s/search?q=voodoo

I've never tried them, but @Sergeant has a ordered a Lancaster set, so maybe he can give some opinion on quality? 

From what I've read in their FAQ they use a high end printer (worth $15K) and is able to print all colours and white in a single pass.  This should eliminate registration problems (unless there is some kind of internal calibration error in the machine itself).  Why I mention this, read on ...

Belcher Bits I have one set for their Seafires, and there was a colour registration problem with the red being off to one side.  The owner was kind enough to send a second sheet free, but it was still slightly off. 

regards,

Jack

Good morning, Jack and Dennis. Below are some photographs of the decals I received from Above & Below Graphics. I have not used them yet, but I can tell you the paper looks like the same quality as Eduard decals. They were shipped the day after I ordered them and arrived within a week from Victoria, British Columbia to Vancouver, Washington. The registration and color look perfect to me, so until I try them on a model, I would say they look like very high-quality decals and the customer service was great.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, DeepSea said:

Is it too late to enter into this? I've acquired a 1/72 C2 Mexas conversion kit that I'd like an excuse to build (first conversion kit so mildly nervous about it.

Cheers

David

Hi David - not too late at all - anyone with a suitable build is welcome to join any time up until the end of the GB. I have to say I have no idea what a C2 Mexas is so I'm looking forward to finding out! Don't be too nervous about the conversion - you'll find plenty of supportive people on here, this will be a great place to give it a go.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DeepSea said:

Is it too late to enter into this?

Definitely not David! Welcome aboard. In fact, you can join a group build at any time, even when it has already started. 

• Thanks 1