Canadian GB Chat

zebra

10 hours ago, Hairy Stickler said:

Hi,

I've not taken part in a GB before (I'm relatively new to the forum).

Have I missed the boat/plane/tank for this one?

Thanks very much 

Peter 

Adding to what @helios16v said, there's a couple of nice GB's currently underway, you can hop on and start a build thread in any one of them if you feel like it. You don't have to be there right at the start, these things run for months so feel free to join in at any time. 

• Like 1

OK thanks all.

I would like to take part in the Canadian GB.  My proposed build is a Spitfire Vb of 401 sqn RCAF operating out of RAF Staplehurst in the summer of 1943.

I grew up in Staplehurst and had no idea that this airfield had ever existed despite the fact that the site was walking distance from my parents' house!

Hopefully this is OK. 

All the best 

Peter 

• Like 5

The new Airfix 1/48 F-86F-40 kit has arrived at Hannants.  To my knowlefdge, with a little conversion work this can be built as a Canadair Sabre Mk.6.   As far as I can see, the extended wingtips need to be removed and a couple of ventral intakes added.  

Any comments? 

• Like 2

I just heard about this from RC Boater Bill, a friend and clubmate in our local (Massachusetts, USA) chapter. I haven't taken part in a GB before, but would like to join this one. I've got a copy of the Kinetic 1/48 CF-188 and an amazing sheet of decals from TwoBobs for the "60 Years of NORAD" anniversary scheme in white and blue with red striping.

Cheers, Pip

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

I've got a copy of the Kinetic 1/48 CF-188 and an amazing sheet of decals from TwoBobs for the "60 Years of NORAD" anniversary scheme in white and blue with red striping.

That sounds really good!  :popcorn: 

:welcome: to groupbuilds.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:22 AM, RC Boater Bill said:

Sign me up!!

I just stumbled across this as well -  I saw the banner in someone’s signature in a reply to the P-40D thread in the WW2 section.

My club just happened to pick this same theme as our 2022 Theme build, so I had already started compiling a list and acquiring a few kits.   I am definitely going to do an Airfix 1/72 Sherman Firefly Mk.VC in Canadian 2nd Armored Brigade markings- I had ordered the decals from Black Lion Decals (in the Netherlands) a week ago.  ( They have decals for three different Canadian units, in both 1/72 and 1/35.) 

I will also be doing one or more of the following (all in 1/72):

Eduard Nieuport 17 in “Billy” Bishop’s markings. (If I can find the decals)

Roden Sopwith Camel, William Barker.

Revell Sopwith Camel, Lloyd Breadner.

Roden SE-5a, Bishop.  (I’ve got one I built 17 years ago, it could stand a replacement.)

Airfix Beaufort Mk.I, in either the 32 OTU or Torpedo Squadron 149, based in Victoria, BC.  (Here is a great site for info on Canadian Beauforts:    https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/post/canadian-warplanes-3-bristol-beaufort )

Academy F2H-3 Banshee, kit includes decals for two RCN aircraft.

That should be enough to pick from…!

-Bill

Welcome aboard Bill, I like the sound of the Banshee

On 5/12/2022 at 9:18 PM, Hairy Stickler said:

OK thanks all.

I would like to take part in the Canadian GB.  My proposed build is a Spitfire Vb of 401 sqn RCAF operating out of RAF Staplehurst in the summer of 1943.

I grew up in Staplehurst and had no idea that this airfield had ever existed despite the fact that the site was walking distance from my parents' house!

Hopefully this is OK. 

All the best 

Peter 

Welcome to the GB Peter. I had never heard of RAF Staplehurst either - or of Staplehurst itself, so I just looked it up, and found it's in the borough of Maidstone - I live in a quite different Maidstone on the other side of the world!

On 5/14/2022 at 8:14 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Zebra

Would a Twin cockpit Fairey Battle be acceptable for this GB ?

Cheers Pat

Acceptable? It'll be positively encouraged!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Seawinder said:

I just heard about this from RC Boater Bill, a friend and clubmate in our local (Massachusetts, USA) chapter. I haven't taken part in a GB before, but would like to join this one. I've got a copy of the Kinetic 1/48 CF-188 and an amazing sheet of decals from TwoBobs for the "60 Years of NORAD" anniversary scheme in white and blue with red striping.

Cheers, Pip

Welcome to the GB Pip. The CF-188 will look great in that scheme - I built it a year or so ago using Leading Edge decals and it's one of my all-time favourites.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zebra said:

Welcome to the GB Peter. I had never heard of RAF Staplehurst either - or of Staplehurst itself, so I just looked it up, and found it's in the borough of Maidstone - I live in a quite different Maidstone on the other side of the world!

Hi Zebra,

Just looked up your Maidstone (looks a very nice part of the World). Apparently it's named after our Maidstone (where I went to school)!

Thanks for the welcome to the GB.

Best regards 

Peter 

57 minutes ago, Hairy Stickler said:

Just looked up your Maidstone (looks a very nice part of the World). Apparently it's named after our Maidstone (where I went to school)!

It's not the only Kent connection round here either - Footscray, named after Foots Cray, is nearby, and I live opposite Medway golf club!

• Like 1

Ok so I’ve already got a Fairey, a Jug, and a potential superhero plane ready to build.

But I want to get another that nobody else will build.

I need the group prime minister to decide if it’s ok.

Hear me out.

There was a program in the 60’s involving some Soviet Migs being used in Canada.

Now vintage wings put out quite the information packet on this event surrounding the “RedHawks”.

It was a real article posted April.1st but I’m not sure it would technically qualify for the builds allowed…

2 hours ago, Beazer said:

Ok so I’ve already got a Fairey, a Jug, and a potential superhero plane ready to build.

But I want to get another that nobody else will build.

I need the group prime minister to decide if it’s ok.

Hear me out.

There was a program in the 60’s involving some Soviet Migs being used in Canada.

Now vintage wings put out quite the information packet on this event surrounding the “RedHawks”.

It was a real article posted April.1st but I’m not sure it would technically qualify for the builds allowed…

I think you mean this: https://www.abovebelow.ca/product/673-mig-cf-121-redhawk-441-sqn-1960-61-/419?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=95

This has got me thinking about adding another category for fictional Canadian things. I think we should allow anything Canadian from a published fictional work (including books, movies, TV and Canadian April fool articles) but no what-ifs. So on that basis, I'm going to say the CF-121 Redhawk qualifies.

2 hours ago, zebra said:

I think you mean this: https://www.abovebelow.ca/product/673-mig-cf-121-redhawk-441-sqn-1960-61-/419?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=95

This has got me thinking about adding another category for fictional Canadian things. I think we should allow anything Canadian from a published fictional work (including books, movies, TV and Canadian April fool articles) but no what-ifs. So on that basis, I'm going to say the CF-121 Redhawk qualifies.

I didn’t realize they had actual decals for it, but it’s pretty close to what-if.  The prank was a good one when they wrote that article so I’m pretty excited to build it and share that entire storyline.  We’re known for our practical jokes, so it’s aboot dam 🦫  time.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 6:44 AM, JackG said:

Another decal brand option, though more than double the price and only includes enough markings for one aircraft:

https://www.abovebelow.ca/s/search?q=voodoo

I've never tried them, but @Sergeant has a ordered a Lancaster set, so maybe he can give some opinion on quality? 

From what I've read in their FAQ they use a high end printer (worth $15K) and is able to print all colours and white in a single pass.  This should eliminate registration problems (unless there is some kind of internal calibration error in the machine itself).  Why I mention this, read on ...

Belcher Bits I have one set for their Seafires, and there was a colour registration problem with the red being off to one side.  The owner was kind enough to send a second sheet free, but it was still slightly off. 

regards,

Jack

Since December 2021 Jack and I have been working on a 1997 release of a 1/48 Monogram PBY-5 Catalina Flying Boat for RAAF service in 20 Squadron that had an original 1942 RAF Temperate Sea Scheme camouflage. Because the model was released with U.S. service decals, I ordered RAF decals from Above & Below Graphics in Victoria, British Columbia. This is the same company that supplied my Lancaster decals mentioned above.

As you can see the colours in my photograph makes the blue in the decals look a little off because of LED lighting, but I can confirm the colours look right when viewed in person and the registration is perfect. There is a little white showing at the top of the tail fin stripes. That is my fault for not cutting the decal closer.

Harold

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, JackG said:

For that tail marking on the PBY.  wonder if it could be just the thickness of the inks?   Maybe a double layer of white ink followed by the colours on top?

To be honest I would never have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out.  We are always our own worst critic.

What I did notice was the lovely smooth paint finish and the fact that there isn't a trace of carrier film around those decals.  What's your technique @Sergeant ?

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 12:06 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

To be honest I would never have noticed it if it hadn't been pointed out.  We are always our own worst critic.

What I did notice was the lovely smooth paint finish and the fact that there isn't a trace of carrier film around those decals.  What's your technique @Sergeant ?

Thank you, Enzo, for your positive comments regarding the paint finish and decals.

The paint finish is accomplished with a painfully slow process of thin layers of primer, paint, and varnish. In between each layer or coat, I use a dry 3000-grit sanding sponge to smooth out rough areas and remove lint and dust that may have settled on the paint. I give each coat 24-hours to dry in a warm room before sanding and then blow off the sanding dust with compressed air. By building up paint layers slowly I can preserve much of the original surface detail. On the final coat I use a plastic compound applicator cloth offered by Tamiya https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/finishing/compound-applicator/ to effectively burnish the surface. This is after the finish coat has had 24-hours to dry and harden. I give the painted or varnished surface a good rub down and use my air compressor to remove any lint left behind from the cloth.

The decal carrier film is a little more complicated. In practice I effectively dissolve the carrier film so all you see is the ink (image) on top of the film. This looks to the casual observer like the decal has been painted on the surface. To dissolve the carrier film without disturbing the paint or varnish is not a task for the faint of heart. The key to success is time "Make sure your paint coat is 7+ days old or varnish coat is 5+ days old." This is the product I use https://www.vms-supplies.com/vms-decal-soft-and-soften instructions are included.

Harold

Edited by Sergeant
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sergeant said:

This is the product I use. https://www.vms-supplies.com/vms-decal-soft-and-soften instructions are included.

I'd be very interested in trying that out.  However, I'm not sure I can afford the 10 million dollars postage...  :lol:  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:57 AM, zebra said:

This reminds me of the (in)famous Royal Canadian Navy Siebel Si-204 anti-submarine patrol aircraft! ;)

John

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'd be very interested in trying that out.  However, I'm not sure I can afford the 10 million dollars postage...  :lol:  

A bit of an exaggeration there they only quoted me $9.999m postage to the UK. Guess they don’t want us to try it. :sad:

Chris

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

A bit of an exaggeration there they only quoted me $9.999m postage to the UK. Guess they don’t want us to try it. :sad:

Chris

That’s $9 for the postage and $9,999,990 for the hazmat container.

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 5:53 PM, drdjp11 said:

That’s $9 for the postage and $9,999,990 for the hazmat container.

Before the recommendation of this product is lost in discussion about the postage and packaging, I will set the record straight. I live in Washington State, USA and we are a long way from Poznan, Poland. If anyone is really interested in trying VMS (Vantage Modeling Solutions) Products I would suggest you check out their list of Partners https://www.vms-supplies.com/buy-now. They have stores in Australia, United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Belgium & France, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Germany, Finland, Greece, Netherlands, Spain, and Switzerland.

My personal experience: I started ordering VMS products from Poland two years ago when the Covid-19 pandemic hit the United States. I have used 14 difference VMS products since then and a few of them I have reordered three times because I use them so often. Each shipment I have received from VMS was carefully packaged, and the box was completely enclosed in plastic, so if anything, accidentally leaked it would remain contained in the box. I have never had a single issue with VMS shipments.

As for the cost of postage, I created a screenshot this morning from VMS's website, as you can see shipping from Poznan, Poland to Washington State via Priority Airmail is $5.90. So, ask yourself is the product worth a try? That is an individual call that each of us make, but in my case, I wanted a decal product that virtually eliminates the carrier film so my decals appear to be painted on (please see example below). Caution, I can't stress this enough. To use any decal product that is capable of dissolving (softening) the carrier film your paint must be seven plus days old, or when applying over gloss varnish, the varnish must be five plus days old. This is what the manufacture recommends and if you get in a hurry like I do sometimes you will be disappointed.

Harold

spacer.png

Example of decals applied over bolt heads and rivets that look almost painted on.

spacer.png

Edited by Sergeant
  • Like 4