Airfix BF109E-7 Trop 1:48

Hi all,

This is my latest completion, finally off the bench and gotten some photos taken to share here :)

This is the newish mould Airfix kit, picked up for a bargain £8 a few years back after a stop in at a Toymaster shop I saw on a drive through Blackpool. Loved the box art and always wanted to have a go at a Jg.27 E-7 with desert blotchy camouflage.

There's nothing I can add about the kit that hasn't already been said here but it was a nice easy stress free build. I decided to correct a few of the weaker parts of the kit, replaced the gun barrels with some master ones I had in the stash, wheels with ultracast resin and the prop blades with Quickboost ones designed for the Eduard kit. The last item was a bit of a pain as i had to Dremel out the inside of the spinner a lot to get the hubs far enough through to allow it to sit against the back plate, retrospectively i would have gone for the complete Ultracast prop and spinner!

Did a little bit of scratch work to shorten the legs by a couple of mm on the oleos, hollowed the exhaust tips, added a spring to the canopy opening section, cut out the radiator flaps and replaced with some metal from a can of cider ( thatchers cloudy apple I believe :) ) and finally added a set of belts I had in the stash and smash moulded a couple of the conical (isolators?) at each end of the aerial wire.

Paint was mostly Tamiya though I had some humbrol 118 US tan which the instructions call out for the RLM79. I was too tight and impatient to order a Tamiya or Gunze equivalent so went with it but had forgotten what a pain Humbrol acrylics are to spray, they are so gritty and have to be thinned so much not to clog the airbrush immediately.

Decals weren't the best and couldn't manage to get them to settle down well despite lots of microsol/set and still ended up with a little silvering, funny as I didn't remember them being so bad when I built the Galland E-4 boxing of this kit a few years back?

Anyway, on with the pics, all C&CC appreciated as always,

Thanks, Stu

8YlG0Po.jpg

2ivwgyw.jpg

SRSTbU5.jpg

3pvwFoS.jpg

tFifWGl.jpg

YGIUVQa.jpg

3iYxgaV.jpg

moxiPMr.jpg

WVadfkN.jpg

12HWqFG.jpg

hMtjks8.jpg

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

A superb rendering of this well-known Emil (I always think of Matchbox' 1:72nd version of this particular individual).

I'm especially impressed by the front opening in the exhaust sheaths – a point that most modellers miss. But here's one that knows his '09:s!

Truly excellent work from all angles.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, glad I finally got it finished and posted :)

On 12/2/2020 at 8:52 PM, Spitfire31 said:

A superb rendering of this well-known Emil (I always think of Matchbox' 1:72nd version of this particular individual).

I'm especially impressed by the front opening in the exhaust sheaths – a point that most modellers miss. But here's one that knows his '09:s!

Truly excellent work from all angles.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim - I know the matchbox boxing.artwork you mention :) I'm glad you noticed the front opening on the exhaust sheaths, I completely forgot to add that to the list of tweaky bits in my main post!

Thanks again all and have a great weekend!

• Like 1