Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

9 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Hi MFNQ.  I'm not involved running this Group Build, but based on my understanding of the intent:

• Main Battle Tanks (like the Centurion), are at the 'large' end of tank designs and so qualify OK (unlike medium and light tanks etc.).
  • British built stuff in foreign service also qualifies OK.

Cheers

Cheers! 

"Hi MFNQ" - let's hope Samuel L Jackson doesn't get ahold of that 😉

• Haha 3

resized_b63d401c-4ca0-4046-86a9-ebd64e14
The last of my Christmas presents. Doesn’t get much bigger. 

Now to figure out how to make the Olympic from it. Doing some basic research and there are a lot of differences. The Brittanic would be easier but I can’t resist that dazzle scheme.

bd294396-050e-46da-93ec-897d9800efbf.pngThe most obvious difference is the A deck promenade which has windows on the titanic. The Olympic is also slightly wider and longer, but we’re not going there and has a lot more lifeboats. There are also a lot of other small differences.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, John Masters said:

OK...I caved in and bought the Airfix Vulcan B2...Good thing I moved house.  I'll need the space even in 1/72nd scale.  HUGE!

Brilliant I look forward to seeing it

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

I have just spent a couple of hours pouring over my reference and the internet and have decided to go with the Airfix Short Sunderland.  I seem to say this a lot but she's a long, long term stash resident.  I've also had a good look at @LDSModeller's extensive study of the corrections and detailing of the Airfix kit and will try to incorporate some of those as well as some of my own improvements with some 3D modelling and printing.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkSH said:

I've also had a good look at @LDSModeller's extensive study of the corrections and detailing of the Airfix kit and will try to incorporate some of those as well as some of my own improvements with some 3D modelling and printing.

Hi Mark,

That sounds like a really awesome build.

I would love to know what you will do with the 3D modelling & printing?

If you need any photos or technical info, just sing out, (I have  a copy of the Mk III Sunderland M&E Manual)

Looking forward to your build, the Airfix Sunderland whilst long in the tooth, can turn out to be a really nice model

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

I would love to know what you will do with the 3D modelling & printing?

Hi Alan,

I'm new to 3D printing having only just got a printer in the middle of last year, not new to 3D modelling so the learning curve hasn't been too steep.  I'm currently taking part in the Matchbox group build and am incorporating some 3D stuff into my build of the Stranraer, so far it's working out well but early days yet.  I think the most useful part will be the engines as I have already modelled and printed those reasonably successfully and will be a vast improvement on the kit offerings:

jbFXs8J.jpg

I could buy some upgrades but I can re-purpose and even upscale my own versions as required.

The Sunderland flight deck will most likely get some attention as well:

5doGqYK.jpg

The Stranraer seat and the steering/rudder pedal assembly were only first test prints but worked quite well.

Thanks for the offer of info, I may well take you up on that when the GB gets going.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

I think the most useful part will be the engines as I have already modelled and printed those reasonably successfully and will be a vast improvement on the kit offerings:

Hi Mark,

That's really cool :thumbsup:

The whole 3D printing thing has really it me thinking ( I have another Airfix Sunderland needing some TLC)

The Airfix engines and cowlings being integral are a pain (removing the engine faces)

to sort, be interested in your approach to this when you get there

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

Speaking of 3D printing :P I started designing the 3D model for my entry into the GB, a Vickers Type C heavy bomber in 1/72 scale. I've only made the basic shape of the fuselage nose & front wing so far. Still have to refine the rear of the fuselage & the make the tail, main wing & engines. Then add some interior detail for the cockpit, wheel wells & bomb bay etc... I doubt I'll be able to get all the 3D modeling done before the GB starts next month, maybe a week before it ends 😅  

BTW does anyone know of any aircraft with similar 6 wheeled landing gear from the 1940/50's? The plans just show the wheels & not the gear so I'm looking for some references/inspiration to help fill in the gap.

vick_typc_3d_01.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 4:57 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

Hi @Adam Poultney, if you are keeping the list on the front page up to date you can add me with the 1/32 HKM Lancaster, just the nose though, probably as a museum style cutaway.

I'm sorry Adam but I can't manage to build this at the same time as the M3/4 GB. I have a very complicated tank to do in that one and something had to go. Since I can build the Nose Art Lanc as a RCAF aircraft, I've decided to slip it into the Canadian GB instead.

On 2/3/2022 at 7:23 AM, Mig Eater said:

I'm intrigued now, are you going to build an M3 or M4 with full interior, or something more unusual..?

I only saw this by coincidence because you didn't quote or mention @Bertie Psmith, but while I'm here...

Yes the MiniArt Australian Lee interior kit. I'll build it either as a cutaway museum exhibit or on the assembly line.

• Like 2

I have made a decision

IMG-20220211-181817.jpg

Meaning I will be doing both Maia and one of C-Class in parallel. Chances that I will finish both on time are pretty slim but recently the number of unfinished models on the shelve of doom has dropped significantly so I need to fix this

• Like 9

Just over two weeks to go until the 5th March (15 days) when we can make a start!

So a reminder to get your kits ready, and clear some space on your workbench because you’re going to need it for this one! 

I’ve just bought not one but SIX more Vulcan kits in smaller scales to build, so I should have plenty to do even though I’m currently at uni away from my main modelling bench. Just waiting on those being delivered then I’ll figure out exactly what I’m going to do. 

Also another reminder that this is about large aircraft/ships/whatever else, not about large scales, so no 1/24 spitfires!

• Like 3

On 21/01/2022 at 07:18, Mig Eater said:

Speaking of 3D printing :P I started designing the 3D model for my entry into the GB, a Vickers Type C heavy bomber in 1/72 scale. I've only made the basic shape of the fuselage nose & front wing so far. Still have to refine the rear of the fuselage & the make the tail, main wing & engines. Then add some interior detail for the cockpit, wheel wells & bomb bay etc... I doubt I'll be able to get all the 3D modeling done before the GB starts next month, maybe a week before it ends 😅  

BTW does anyone know of any aircraft with similar 6 wheeled landing gear from the 1940/50's? The plans just show the wheels & not the gear so I'm looking for some references/inspiration to help fill in the gap.

vick_typc_3d_01.jpg

Well a thread documenting the design process would be more than welcome even if the actual build comes at a later date. 

On 11/02/2022 at 18:31, Pin said:

I have made a decision

IMG-20220211-181817.jpg

Meaning I will be doing both Maia and one of C-Class in parallel. Chances that I will finish both on time are pretty slim but recently the number of unfinished models on the shelve of doom has dropped significantly so I need to fix this

Looking forward to seeing these! Is the C Class related to the Sunderland? Looks quite similar

On 2/18/2022 at 9:18 AM, Adam Poultney said:

Just over two weeks to go until the 5th March (15 days) when we can make a start!

Enzo's GB Calendar shows the start date as 26th February?  Have I missed something?

Cheers