Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

10 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

see if you get kicked off the team! 🤪

Well seeing as to how I managed to derail  another proposal recently by asking too many questions, anything is possible. 

But I’m now thinking Victor in green and grey camo, probably 1/144 but so far the only kit that isn’t silly money is the Lindberg 1/96 kit which I did build as a teenager which I remember buying from the gift shop at the RAF museum at Hendon.

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

You might know this but here’s an extraordinary fact. One woman ‘Violet Jessop’ was on board RMS Olympic when she was rammed by HMS Hawke. She was also on board the Titanic when it sank and the Britannic when it was sunk. She survived all three disasters.

Ive heard this before, makes you wonder why they kept letting her on the ships. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive heard this before, makes you wonder why they kept letting her on the ships. 

Maybe the thought if she survived everyone else would, I once worked with a guy who I started to refer to as a singularity, accidents happened to him with alarming frequency and severity, but if he was around nothing would ever  happen to you. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Adam, as an ex lecturer can I take it that you are hard at work with your course? 

On a more serious note, I have a Mach2 Argosy that I am seriously tempted by. By chance I walked past the Amory mode stand at SMW and they had a set of Argosy wheels. I consider that to be a sufficient omen to build the kit. 

resized_d99abc81-f811-4eb1-bff3-3da1b40cFound this in my local toy shop, it was so cheap I couldn’t not but it.

It’s definitely British ( it says it on the box) and I’m assuming a main battle tank is big, I mean notwithstanding the German Maus or the landkreuiser its probably one of the biggest tanks.

If we’re ok with the Challenger then there’s a 1/35 Cromwell in the stash that might get built alongside it :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2021 at 19:28, Mr T said:

Hi Adam, as an ex lecturer can I take it that you are hard at work with your course? 

On a more serious note, I have a Mach2 Argosy that I am seriously tempted by. By chance I walked past the Amory mode stand at SMW and they had a set of Argosy wheels. I consider that to be a sufficient omen to build the kit. 

Yes, very busy. Lots of early morning library sessions... problem is that's in the wrong end of the morning!

That's what my son used to complain about that on his geology/palaeontology degree! The more sciencey/engineering/health degrees always seem to have a higher taught workload compared to some others. My daughter did History and seemed to have a very light lecture load. I taught in nursing and so we were at the heavy end. 

Glad it seems to be working out. Got the Argosy out to look at. Not quite as bad as I remembered. Surface detail seems ok

On 11/27/2021 at 5:17 AM, Marklo said:

resized_d99abc81-f811-4eb1-bff3-3da1b40cFound this in my local toy shop, it was so cheap I couldn’t not but it.

It’s definitely British ( it says it on the box) and I’m assuming a main battle tank is big, I mean notwithstanding the German Maus or the landkreuiser its probably one of the biggest tanks.

If we’re ok with the Challenger then there’s a 1/35 Cromwell in the stash that might get built alongside it :) 

I was going to ask the same about a Chieftain tank! 

Was the verdict "yes"?

This question has already been asked, I am sure...  DH Sea Vixen?  How about a Phantom FGR.2 from 19 Squadron?  I suppose a Hunter is too small, regardless of its wide range of importance and numerous operators.  The thing is, if I could build the jets, then the HP Heyford could move over to the Matchbox GB...hmmm...

These were very large aircraft and had equally large roles.  Even in 1/72nd scale!  

51723286386_560d7698cc_o_d.jpg

51723286396_d8fcd1d453_o_d.jpg

--John

• Like 1

On 04/12/2021 at 10:30, John Masters said:

How about a Phantom FGR.2 from 19 Squadron?

Phantom is American built, therefore does not qualify.

I suppose a Hunter is too small, regardless of its wide range of importance and numerous operators.  

Nice aircraft, but it is far from big enough to qualify. 

DH Sea Vixen?

I would lean towards not quite big enough, it's only marginally longer than a Lightning or Scimitar. I think its twin boom configuration gives an impression that it is larger than it really is. However, it does have the wingspan to go with that length, making it one of the largest fighter aircraft of its time. It's a similar size to a Javelin, and I don't think anyone can deny that, for a fighter, the Javelin was enormous. So I'll say yes to a Sea Vixen as it is big for its role.

Speaking of Javelins, reading back through the thread I see that @TonyW asked about a Lightning and a Javelin. Lightning is no, Javelin is yes.

For anyone else, this size guidance would only apply to cold war fighters; these aircraft only qualify on being big for their role but not straight up big. If you want an idea for what is straight up big, a Canberra will do as a baseline for big, but since aircraft aren't nicely scaling versions of each other, coming in all sorts of shapes and odd configurations, use a bit of your own judgement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to 3D print all the parts for my build (Vickers Type C Heavy Bomber), first though I need to design the 3D models which could take months. So I'm going to make an early start on my build after new years, hopefully I'll have some of the parts printed & ready by the GB start date.

• Like 3

I don't know tanks well, I'll leave that to the judgment of someone with more knowledge on tanks....

On 24/12/2021 at 11:37, Mig Eater said:

I'm going to 3D print all the parts for my build (Vickers Type C Heavy Bomber), first though I need to design the 3D models which could take months. So I'm going to make an early start on my build after new years, hopefully I'll have some of the parts printed & ready by the GB start date.

That's fine, so long as actual construction is under 25% when you begin. I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

Take some screenshots of the design process to include in your build thread 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 12:55 AM, Adam Poultney said:

That's fine, so long as actual construction is under 25% when you begin. I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

With how slow I work I'm wondering if I can get 25% of the parts designed & printed in 2 months let alone built 😅

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2021 at 11:45 PM, MagpieFNQ said:

Is a Centurion tank "big" in the context of this GB ?

On 12/26/2021 at 8:41 AM, MagpieFNQ said:

Can it be done as it appeared in Australian service?

Ours were actually made in the UK

Hi MFNQ.  I'm not involved running this Group Build, but based on my understanding of the intent:

• Main Battle Tanks (like the Centurion), are at the 'large' end of tank designs and so qualify OK (unlike medium and light tanks etc.).
  • British built stuff in foreign service also qualifies OK.

Cheers

• Like 1