Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

More than happy to help out with that ๐Ÿ˜‚ is it the new kit?

Thanks! No its Airfix's old kit, I picked it up a year or so ago in a local charity shop for 14 quid, (from memory I think its the 25th Falklands anniversary re-boxing form 2007)

Edited by Ravnos
typo

Just now, Ravnos said:

Thanks! No its Airfix's old kit, I picked it up a year or so ago in a local charity shop for 14 quid, (from memory I think its the 25th anniversary re-boxing form 2007)

Wow! That's a good buy. Even with the new tool out now I would find it hard to resist one at that price, the idea of making a B1 or B1a from one sounds very tempting.

6 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Wow! That's a good buy. Even with the new tool out now I would find it hard to resist one at that price, the idea of making a B1 or B1a from one sounds very tempting.

Yeh I couldn't resist lol, at the time I had no idea there was a new one coming, and now that I think about it finding that kit is a big part of what got me back into modeling this year.

• 3 months later...
  • Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! 29 members so far
  • Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! In the Bunfight!

Great to see this one I the bunfight although allocating my 5 votes just got a bit more complicated!

ย 

Thinking about my options, plenty of them have come up in this thread already (Lanc, Victor etc), how about a Canberra - do we think itโ€™s big? Which leads to another question, is the RB-57F (which is definitely big, itโ€™s got a bigger wingspan than a Victor) British enough?

• Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! Doing well in the Bunfight! Vote!
On 19/10/2021 at 23:30, zebra said:

Thinking about my options, plenty of them have come up in this thread already (Lanc, Victor etc), how about a Canberra - do we think itโ€™s big? Which leads to another question, is the RB-57F (which is definitely big, itโ€™s got a bigger wingspan than a Victor) British enough?

ย 

ย 

British includes anything from England, Scotland, Wales plus any of the little rocks in the sea which are British, additionally Northern Ireland is included despite not being part of the Island of Great Britain as it is part of the British Isles and the UK.

ย 

Foreign derivatives of British aircraft are a grey area. Some such as an RB-57F seem quite far removed from their British origins, there seem to be more foreign bits than British bits, but an earlier variant like a B57B or something seems to be more British than American. I'll leave this up to the modeller's discretion so long as they can justify it.ย 

ย 

For aircraft which were jointly developed like Concorde, if possible go with British markings. An Air France Concorde feels more like a French aircraft whereas a British Airways one feels like a British aircraft. Airbus aircraft in British markings would qualify if we had a hand in development (eg A400M).

ย 

Entirely foreign aircraft in British markings are not British enough for this, so no RAF C17s or B17s, no BA 747s or BOAC 707s

• Like 1

I'm up for this.ย  GWH 1/144 Vulcan to startย  with and who knows what else may come along. For other inspirationsย  how about those passengerย  liners like thQE1,2and QM2. Just remembered I have got a Revell AEW Shack to do.

• Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! Any more signups? Doing well in the Bunfight! Vote!