Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

4 hours ago, Prenton said:

Would that be eligible?

Or do they need to be in a larger scale to qualify?

On 02/12/2020 at 16:38, Adam Poultney said:

Rules and guidelines for the Big and British Group Build: 

What Counts as British?

British includes anything from England, Scotland, Wales plus any of the little rocks in the sea which are British, additionally Northern Ireland is included despite not being part of the Island of Great Britain as it is part of the British Isles and the UK.

Foreign derivatives of British aircraft are a grey area. Some such as an RB-57F seem quite far removed from their British origins, there seem to be more foreign bits than British bits, but an earlier variant like a B57B or something seems to be more British than American. I'll leave this up to the modeller's discretion so long as they can justify it. 

For aircraft which were jointly developed like Concorde, if possible go with British markings. An Air France Concorde feels more like a French aircraft whereas a British Airways one feels like a British aircraft. Airbus aircraft in British markings would qualify if we had a hand in development (eg A400M).

Entirely foreign aircraft in British markings do not count as British, so no RAF C17s or B17s, no BA 747s or BOAC 707s

What counts as big?

An aircraft or other vehicle which was big for its time and role, or even just enormous in general. I won't draw an absolute line, use your discretion so long as you can justify it. 

This is not about larger scales. A 1/24 Spitfire will not qualify but a 1/200 Vulcan will.

Other rules

25% rule applies as normal in addition to all other standard group build rules

What-if builds will be allowed if they meet all other criteria. If you want to make an Avro Atlantic or Vickers V1000 or something, go for it. 

Edited by Adam Poultney

15 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @bianfuxia, I've got one of those too, although not done yet. I'll look forward to seeing yours come together. No pressure, mind. 😁 Regards, Jeff.

I even have the PE set for it - formerly WEM now....some other guys. 

This was a kit I used to see in the catalogue as a kid and could never get - partly price and mainly that I don't think I ever even saw it in the shop.

When they re-popped it I snapped it up - buy when you see, not when you need!

On 16/11/2021 at 08:32, Enzo Matrix said:

Considering a Conqueror tank for this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conqueror_(tank)

In 1/35 scale, even the model will be big.  And, considering it will be resin, heavy

Some photos,,,

spacer.png

spacer.png

Quite frankly, this one is scaring me.  There is so much resin!  There are three bags like this as well as a bag of resin track links.  :door: 

spacer.png

• Like 5

On 5/23/2021 at 2:09 AM, Rob S said:

Very good. 

I feel a (plastic) G3 or N3 in 1:600 may be steaming into view from over the horizon if this GB gets a Jersey/Guernsey. 

Ya missed me off the List!  Ah well one less GB to participate in. 

About those blurred edges regarding what is big or not: Would the EE Lightning or Gloster Javelin fit the bill? Both big old lumps, but are they big enough?

Seeing my first Javelin in the flesh, at Bungay, I though it was more like a block of flats than a fighter.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if they won't fit, but I do have the Airfix 1.48 jobbies sat here.

They are keeping a Matchbox Victor and Airfix Valiant company, so it's not like I'm stuck for a subject. 

Either way, count me in.

Tony.

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Ya missed me off the List!  Ah well one less GB to participate in.

Gidday Rob, I hope you're still going to do the G3 or N3. I'm considering an enlarged Airfix 'Nelson' kit for this, but with a more traditional disposition of turrets. Hope to see you there.

Regards, Jeff.

9 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Was struggling with this a bit until I realised I'd asked for a kit of the Titanic for Christmas,  now that has to qualify for this GB :)

Nice .. though technically isn't she Irish ? Well I guess that still means shes a British subject since its Northern Ireland. 

12 hours ago, Marklo said:

Was struggling with this a bit until I realised I'd asked for a kit of the Titanic for Christmas,  now that has to qualify for this GB :)

May I make a suggestion….

Don’t build it as Titanic - everyone does Titanic. Build RMS Olympic instead! She’s near identical and apart from one night’s misadventure had a much more interesting (and certainly more useful) life than Titanic. And you can paint her in dazzle camouflage!

Just saying…

Of course Olympic’s no match for Aquitania. But we all know that! 👍

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:
13 hours ago, Marklo said:

Nice .. though technically isn't she Irish ?

She was built at Harland and Wolff but at the time(1912) Ireland was part of the union, and even after it the free state comprised twenty six counties so Belfast is still part of the UK.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

And you can paint her in dazzle camouflage!

Ok now you’ve really got me. Done and done !

1a6f4940-2f94-47dc-851f-19300db132cd.jpe
Olympic in Dazzle camo

4f6a3b94-4c60-4827-8890-480e1e04f71e.jpeBrittanic as a hospital ship. The Germans still torpedoed her in 1916.

It does of course have to be the Olympic in dazzle camouflage. Couldn’t resist that.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

Soooo cool! 

She was also accidentally rammed by the Royal Navy (in peace-time immediately prior to WW1) and is believed to have been hit a dud torpedo as maintenance  crews found a dent in her hull during a post-war refit.

• Like 1

You might know this but here’s an extraordinary fact. One woman ‘Violet Jessop’ was on board RMS Olympic when she was rammed by HMS Hawke. She was also on board the Titanic when it sank and the Britannic when it was sunk. She survived all three disasters.

• Like 6