Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

10 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

If it is later in the year I could do my Contrail Short Mayo composite.

Not sure how I have already voted or if I can change my vote. Any ideas ? 😊

Press view vote options in the Bunfight thread and put your votes in

• Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! We made it with 60 votes! In the 2022 GB calendar!
23 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Now get your Vulcans, Vulcans, Vulcans and Vulcans out of the stash because we have secured a slot for 2022! Vulcans 

Accurately predicting most of my builds most likely.... although I did buy an ancient 1/148 Kader Valiant today which should arrive in the next few days hopefully. I'll probably save that one for this, so there may be something else beginning with V in there. Maybe I'll even do a full set of Vs

• Haha 1

How much participation depends on when it gets scheduled. but I don't lack for possible content (all three V-bombers in both 1/72 and 1/144, Lancaster, A350, DH 106 Comet, VC10 and much, much more...)

Congratulations Adam, I'm really looking forward to this.

My only problem now is to decide what to do...will it be one of my V Bombers (you can never have enough V Bombers imo) or should I attempt the Airfix Nimrod? There were some absolutely stunning examples of these at SMW at the weekend.

I did briefly consider tackling the Airfix Bentley Blower as fings don't come much 'bigger' than Birkin's beautiful brute. But if I'm going to lob out more cash on myself (again) I'll have to do some smooth talking on the domestic front.  :guitar::kissing2:

Nope, common sense has prevailed...I'll do something from the stash :nodding:

On 06/11/2021 at 22:50, psdavidson said:

This is British, but is it "Big" enough

264910-12155-13-pristine.jpg

Since it looks like the rail GB isn't going to make the cut, I may be looking for a new home for some builds.

I would say no.  The Schools class were the most powerful 4-4-0 locomotives in Britain, but they were not exactly big.  They were designed for the restricted loading gauges of the Southern Railway.

However, if you want to build a Dapol (ex-Kitmaster) kit, try the BR Standard 9F Evening Star.  Now those things were huge!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gidday, me being a WW2 warship modeler this limits me pretty much to battleships. I've been thinking about doing an 'R' class battleship, possibly HMS Revenge. They were big (but not the biggest) when they were new but by WW2 they has been left behind in size. But to me they still looked big, solid and purposeful looking.

Other alternatives are whiffs, I've got ideas for three from Airfix's HMS Nelson kits. These would be big, and I'd limit the style to definitely British. I'll wait until dates are set.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Accurately predicting most of my builds most likely.... although I did buy an ancient 1/148 Kader Valiant today which should arrive in the next few days hopefully. I'll probably save that one for this, so there may be something else beginning with V in there. Maybe I'll even do a full set of Vs

To be fair there’s 100% chance my build ado begins with V, was going to be the Vulcan o. The assumption this would be later in the year after going a victor in the matchbox GB . Now they overlap not so sure maybe if I don’t win the current kit I’m high bidder on I’ll do the Airfix Victor for this. 

18 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Hi @Adam Poultney, if you are keeping the list on the front page up to date you can add me with the 1/32 HKM Lancaster, just the nose though, probably as a museum style cutaway.

...just in case you might find it useful... 

• Thanks 1

I have just received my copy of Spencer Pollard's new book - RAF Radials - and one of the models is a Radial Engined Lancaster B. II, based on the Airfix kit (kit no A08001) in 1/72.   Would that qualify for the group build?

Alternatively, I have a Revell Halifax B Mk III (kit no. 04936), in 1/72.  Would that be eligible?

Or do they need to be in a larger scale to qualify?

Thanks,

Philip