Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

About the Thunderbird 2 kit, I really don't know if it fits or not. It is the work of a Brit and aired on British TV, but if I am remembering correctly the characters are mostly American (implying their vehicles are too). 

However, having watched the original version four decades after its original run, I do quite like it so I want to see the Thunderbird 2 build. By virtue of being created by a Brit, I'll make the call that it's allowed, just put an explanation of its British origins in the thread.

8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

About the Thunderbird 2 kit, I really don't know if it fits or not. It is the work of a Brit and aired on British TV, but if I am remembering correctly the characters are mostly American (implying their vehicles are too). 

However, having watched the original version four decades after its original run, I do quite like it so I want to see the Thunderbird 2 build. By virtue of being created by a Brit, I'll make the call that it's allowed, just put an explanation of its British origins in the thread.

Thanks Adam :) It should be a relatively short thread as I don't think the build will take long, so it wont clutter up too much of the page.  I'll be doing the old moulding Vulcan afterwords as atonement ;)

• Haha 1

Lots of builds on the go think it’s less likely now I’m going to be entering the Vulcan….:(  was optimistic to think I get the victor done by now though still plenty of time so hopefully I can enter the Vulcan 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

Whilst digging around in my stash I came across my Revell Gannet  - it's certainly British but is it big enough?

Pete

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Adam,

Whilst digging around in my stash I came across my Revell Gannet  - it's certainly British but is it big enough?

Pete

sort of medium sized, doesn't really count as big

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at my stash, my choices are either Lanc' or Shack' (AEW.2)
I'm tempted to try the shack but I doubt I'll finish on time due to exams.

The rest of my British models aren't very big but I'll let @Adam Poultney decide whether they're big enough to include:

Sea king

Merlin

Meteor (big jet for the time?? Technically)

Wellington (doubt I'll do this one as I already have one halfway done)

Gannet (Adam has already said too small but including anyway)

Tornado (probably too small)

Phantom

Lynx (too small for sure)

Lightnings (probably too small)

• 2 weeks later...

it is already a bit late but I am thinking on coming with Vickers Valentia. I have an incomplete kit from Contrail, from less then two years in my stash but  this GB could be a good accelerator of this build...A large discussion was on it in WW2 section 

So maybe it is the high time to start? 

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to join this GB from the start, but life got in the way and I had 3 other kits on the go and couldn't see where any bench time was coming from, so I said I would give it a miss. Now the 3 kits have been done and I appear to have a clear work bench once again :) 

I know there is only a few weeks to the finish, but I'll give it a go if this is acceptable. Definitely British, but does it count as big enough for this build as they're quite small compared to todays HGVs  @Adam Poultney 🤔

Looking at it it should go together fairly easily and there isn't that much detail painting, let me know your thoughts on eligibility and if ok I'll start a build thread, if not I'll just build it anyway without entering the GB

Many thanks

Ian :) 

20200818_143511_resized

• Like 1

Looking through some of the other posts it seems as it was a big lorry in it's day so should qualify, so I decided to go for it as I hadn't had a response from the hosts.

If they deem it's not big enough and want to delete the thread, I'm happy with that :) 

Well I've made a start building it and I'll start a thread with some pics soon.

It was new and unstarted and all I have done up to yet is glued the engine together and the main components of the chassis, I forgot to take a sprue in the box shot, so you'll have to believe me on that one :) 

Ian 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Looking through some of the other posts it seems as it was a big lorry in it's day so should qualify, so I decided to go for it as I hadn't had a response from the hosts.

If they deem it's not big enough and want to delete the thread, I'm happy with that :) 

Well I've made a start building it and I'll start a thread with some pics soon.

It was new and unstarted and all I have done up to yet is glued the engine together and the main components of the chassis, I forgot to take a sprue in the box shot, so you'll have to believe me on that one :) 

Ian 

Big in its day certainly qualifies it. I did see your post on here but got bogged down in uni revision and forgot to reply

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, some good news!

I noticed that a few builds would struggle to make it to the finishing line by the end of the alloted time, so I have had the deadline extended by two weeks to 10 July. 

• Like 3

That’s good news Adam. I’m struggling with painful hands and wrists at the moment. Preliminary diagnosis prior to blood test results is arthritis, possibly rheumatoid, which has come as a bit of a surprise to say the least. Progress on the build has slowed right down but I hope to post a few more pics tomorrow.

Well I was just about to say that having finished my matchbox build,  almost finished my Wolverine, and managing to get the Olympic back on the bench, that Challenger digital camouflage both withstanding I now should be able to concentrate in the two remaining builds for this GB and lo and behold an extension. So now I have no excuses for not getting them both over the line on time :) 

8937EFCD-2897-4509-BE05-5AACC15B894F.jpgWell the paintwork on the main hull of the Olympic is done.

EAF52995-B10F-40CC-B0CC-61E575568328.jpgAnd the green and green Challenger is now three quarters covered in little masking tape squares and rectangles and should be ready for its second camo colour by the weekend :) 

• Like 1

I'm thinking that I might be able to get the BOAC boxing of Roden's 1/144 Bristol Britannia in over a couple of weekends.  I hope that it wouldn't be disqualified by having the wing-halves already joined. 

As it's a related subject I might even pull one of my Welsh Models Belfasts from the stash, though I likely wouldn't have a snowball's hope of finishing that on time.

Edited by JosephLalor

• 4 weeks later...

Hadn’t realised the GB closes tomorrow. I’m afraid that although I got my Cromwell and my Challenger over the line my Olympic is still several hours shy of being completed and seeing as how my daughter came down with Covid yesterday the chances of me getting anywhere near the bench tomorrow are in the negative range. 

I may as well change my arm and ask for a modest extension of say a week and promise to focus on the Olympic and not my many other builds :) 

Edited by Marklo