Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

One week to go now! 

So hopefully Enzo will find time to make it live this weekend - the waiting is nearly over!

Pete

• Like 1

Hello

Id like to throw in my hat on this one, not sure what yet but will likely be 1/72 Armour and a ww2 Tank or post war MBT or SPG :hmmm:.

Possible choices, a Chieftain, one of several Centurions, a Challenger 1 or 2 or even the old A30. Or maybe the AS-90. Its about time I built some post war British armour...

Cheers

Hi all, this one has me intrigued. I’ve never done a GB before, heck I’ve never even done a WIP before for BM, but there’s this darned big red Revell London Bus staring at me from the stash shelf saying “build me” and I wonder if it’d fit the criteria (on the basis it was somewhat higher capacity than the RTs it replaced). Guidance would be appreciated as I really need to pull my finger out and get some etch ordered PDQ if I’m going to make a proper go of it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skymonster said:

Hi all, this one has me intrigued. I’ve never done a GB before, heck I’ve never even done a WIP before for BM, but there’s this darned big red Revell London Bus staring at me from the stash shelf saying “build me” and I wonder if it’d fit the criteria (on the basis it was somewhat higher capacity than the RTs it replaced). Guidance would be appreciated as I really need to pull my finger out and get some etch ordered PDQ if I’m going to make a proper go of it.

Well it most definitely qualifies as big, I'd say any double decker bus would qualify as big. And I assume it's a Routemaster kit you have? Those were built in Britain so it ticks both necessary boxes to qualify.

It would be great to have you join the GB for your first BM WIP 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Well it most definitely qualifies as big, I'd say any double decker bus would qualify as big. And I assume it's a Routemaster kit you have? Those were built in Britain so it ticks both necessary boxes to qualify.

It would be great to have you join the GB for your first BM WIP 

Excellent, thanks @Adam Poultney - it is indeed the Revell Routemaster, so I’ll clear the bench and pull the box from the stash in anticipation of getting started proper at the weekend.

• Like 2

On 01/03/2022 at 22:55, Enzo Matrix said:

The Challenger certainly qualifies as big.

I think I will go for a challenger 2 in 1/72, its a shame there is no Scammell commander kit to place it on. I imagine the Oshkosh doesn't qualify. I have a soft spot for tank and transporter sets.

• Like 1

Would an RAF Regiment Rolls Royce Armoured Car qualify as big? They were certainly British and when introduced were pretty chunky. Don't worry if not, I think I have an alternative although I am hankering to build a RR with a difference. 

Sorry guys, but looks like I'm going to have to skip this as work's gone mad and I'm getting no bench time whatsoever at the minute. I'm struggling with the simple builds in the matchbox gb at the minute plus one on another group I haven't even started.

Hope it goes well and I'll keep dropping in to see what's happening.

Cheers

Ian 

• Sad 2

On top of my filing cabinet, are two large boxes containing 1:72 scale kits from Airfix: the Valiant BK.Mk.I and the Victor B.Mk.2(BS). I should build these sometime - maybe now is a good time for at least one of them. Besides, I always liked crescent wings.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

On top of my filing cabinet, are two large boxes containing 1:72 scale kits from Airfix: the Valiant BK.Mk.I and the Victor B.Mk.2(BS). I should build these sometime - maybe now is a good time for at least one of them. Besides, I always liked crescent wings.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

I vote for the Valiant! Or even better, both!

You know I completely forgot I had an Airfix Heracles sitting in the stash, I’ll see how everything else goes,  but I might dust it off for this one. Or maybe keep it in reserve as it also fits the bill for several 2023 proposals, hmmm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightningBoy said:

Not sure if I am too late to join in, would a Sword 1: 48 EE Lightning T5 qualify?

LightningBoy

I don't think a lightning is quite big enough

Finally managed to finish off my KUTA build so going to be jumping into this one next (probably going to take a break for a week or so though to get my workbench cleared down), I've got a couple of contenders but after the marathon that was the Sunderland I think I'll go with something OTB rather than trying anything fancy :P see you all soon!

• Like 1

Cleared my workbench down this afternoon which was wonderfully thereputic after having it covered in the debris of my last build for 8 months, and pulled all of the kits that qualify for this GB down from the shelf. What do you guys think :P

2kypl7aWpLwwmB4P5wE4dAOUDt2TLinEZKzg1e_v

The original plan for this was to do either the Vulcan or the Victor and do the other one in the Falklands GB later in the year, I've basically ruled out the Victor as I want to do something more or less out the box this time and when I bought it the guy included some nice resin air intakes which need some work to use.

The Lanc kit is Airfixes shiney new moulding which looks amazing, and I'm looking forward to doing that one.... but the instructions resemble a phonebook, and I was hoping for something a little more straight forwards for my next one.

The Titanic kit I hadn't really considered but I pulled it down as it fit the rules.

The Vulcan is still a front runner as it was what I was originally thinking of, I want to do it as XM607 in its Black Buck configureation, which the kit allows for out of the box with no modification (I'm sure Adam is going to disagree with this 🤣). It is the old moulding not the shiney new one but it still looks pretty good honestly.

And then theres the curve ball.... a friend gave me the Thunderbird 2 kit and after a quick google to confirm, Gerry Anderson (the creator of the show) is brittish and it originally aired on ITV, so @Adam Poultney can I have a ruling on whether its allowed? :P. It's a nice simple kit with nice moulding and decals but looks like I could have some fun with the painting. happy to disqualify it though if you don't think it should be allowed 😁.

My plan for the Matchbox Victor has gone out of the window as due to everything else going on at the moment (including getting married next week) time is somewhat scarce. I still want to participate but am looking to build something reasonably straight forward. Does a Mosquito qualify for this or is it not big enough?

Dave

I just got this today in the post.

A 3D printed 1/72 Conqueror.

AVvXsEj1W5kj2BS6xLabWyGcJg6Hagzo3G1ypkRo

I'm wondering if it is worth trying to up detail it and see what I can make out of it, I also have a few other 3d printed British heavies on the way that are unavailable in 1/72 in plastic so I may do them as a single entry.

As is typical it is the tracks that let it down a bit.

• Like 4

I have a Revell 1 72 AEW Shack and GWH 1 144 Vulcan. But due to lack of space for finished builds I think I will go for the Vul an. So please count me in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I have a Revell 1 72 AEW Shack and GWH 1 144 Vulcan. But due to lack of space for finished builds I think I will go for the Vul an. So please count me in.

Very good I look forward to seeing it. 

Despite a few shape issues and a bit of poor research from the designers of the kit, it's actually pretty good. It's just a shame it's become a little hard to find at a good price now, otherwise I'd have a lot more of them. 

Here are a few of mine:

IMG_20220311_192320320_HDR

IMG_20210915_144643748_HDR

• Like 1

Think I'm gonna do the TB2 kit as a bit of a palate clenser then dive into the Vulcan for the GB. I'll take pictures in case it turns out the TB kit is allowed so I can throw up a build thread for it after the fact.