Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

There were a couple of postings early on in the thread about railway locomotives. As the proposed Railway GB does not look like it's going to materialize I am looking for alternative GB's for railway builds. The opening post is not too clear about railways being allowed. A positive reply could bring about another vote for this GB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

There were a couple of postings early on in the thread about railway locomotives. As the proposed Railway GB does not look like it's going to materialize I am looking for alternative GB's for railway builds. The opening post is not too clear about railways being allowed. A positive reply could bring about another vote for this GB.

There are two criteria that must be met to qualify. Is it big and is it British (meaning designed in Britain, check the first post for further guidance)? If yes and yes, then it is allowed. You can build any subject that fits the criteria. Planes, ships, tanks, trains, even buildings, it doesn't matter what it is.

I don't know nearly enough about trains to make a judgement on what is considered big, but if it's generally a large train then I'll leave it up to you to make that call.

Can i ask a question here regarding the big and British theme.

What about a large scale subject of a smaller British aircraft, does that count or does the subject have to be massive in real life?

20 minutes ago, thepureness said:

Can i ask a question here regarding the big and British theme.

What about a large scale subject of a smaller British aircraft, does that count or does the subject have to be massive in real life?

The intention is large aircraft (or other subject) not large scales

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

Ideal for this GB, a rebox of Mikromir's recent Handley Page Hastings as the T5 variant just announced

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007298-1144-handley-page-hastings-cmk1mk2-by-mikromir-released-new-t5-boxing/

23 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

This is British, but is it "Big" enough

264910-12155-13-pristine.jpg

Since it looks like the rail GB isn't going to make the cut, I may be looking for a new home for some builds.

your call, I don't know enough about trains to give a judgement. If it's fairly large for a train of its era and/or role then it will qualify

Edited by Adam Poultney

28 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

This is British, but is it "Big" enough

264910-12155-13-pristine.jpg

Since it looks like the rail GB isn't going to make the cut, I may be looking for a new home for some builds.

25 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

your call, I don't know enough about trains to give a judgement. If it's fairly large for a train of its era and role then it will qualify

Ok from what I remember going back 30+ years. It was classed on the wheel numbers, layout of the drive wheels, and tonnage. From this. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_V_Schools_class

these are a 4-4-0 layout and 105 tonnes. Its also based on its power classification.

BR adopted a slightly modified version of the LMS classification system, itself based on the Midland Railway's system. Each locomotive class was given a number 0–9 that signified its power, 0 for the least powerful and 9 for the most, with a suffix of F or P, indicating freight and passenger roles respectively. Freight power ranged from 0–9, passenger from 0–8. Many locomotives were used for both roles, in which case they were given two class numbers, the P-rating first e.g. 3P4F or 6P5F. A slight change from the LMS system saw those where the freight classification (x) equalled the passenger classification (also x) reclassified as xMT, MT standing for mixed traffic, e.g. for the LMS Black Five locomotives, LMS 5P5F became BR 5MT. Mixed traffic locomotives had power in the range of classes 2–6.”

This is from this link, under “Classification”. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_locomotives_of_British_Railways

Now looking through this I think this falls in the mid to high range at 5P. But not sure where it falls in length and weight ? You’d have to compare it to a few other large locomotives ? 

• Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! Slipping in the polls! Get your votes in!
3 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

If it makes it I’d be up for a Revell A350-900 (every Airbus has wings designed and built at Filton, so clearly qualifies)

I would say this qualifies under the same guidance as Concorde

6 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Hoping this one makes it as I've just bought a load of aftermarket for my 1/72 Nimrod and still looking for a few more bits :lol:

I'm hopeful now! We just need a few more votes to really be in the clear but we are in at the moment