Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Define 'British' please

Is it the commonly accepted all of the UK or only GB?

British includes anything from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, plus any of the little rocks in the sea which are British. 

British things in foreign markings... maybe? A Comet in foreign markings well that's still quite British, but an Air France Concorde seems more French than British. A Canadian Lancaster? Even though they built their Lancasters, we designed the aircraft so it's British.

Certainly not a British operated B17 or a BA 747 or something, that's American in British markings. 

So I guess if it's made or designed in Britain, it's British enough. 

14 hours ago, Rob S said:

So many choices. 

If Paper Planes are allowed what about Paper Ships. Can think of a fair few big and British ships that were designed but not built. 

Sign me up and I’ll think of something. 

I think a paper ship is probably a bad idea.... wouldn't it just sink? 

Big if you want to build one for the group build go for it, as long as it's big and British.

13 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday,  I don't know if this question has already been asked? Are whiffs allowed, provided they're of a British design and flavour? For example an enlarged fictitious version of a British warship. Regards, Jeff.

Yes what ifs are allowed, there are quite a lot of suitable contenders.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Define 'British' please

My understanding is the stuff inside the purple line. If the definition is the geographic British Isles (and this is the only circumstance I can think of where the island of Ireland is described as "British"), then it's the red line, but describing Northern Ireland as "British" is a touchy one.

spacer.png

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

spacer.png

So not a Venn Diagram a TotBI Diagram?  

Very educational. Now I know where the Isle of Man fits into the scheme of things and why they can still hold the TT in the age of OH&S!  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I think a paper ship is probably a bad idea.... wouldn't it just sink? 

Big if you want to build one for the group build go for it, as long as it's big and British.

Very good. 

I feel a (plastic) G3 or N3 in 1:600 may be steaming into view from over the horizon if this GB gets a Jersey/Guernsey. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see Northern Ireland included as part of the UK, as that would allow the inclusion of Short Bros and Harland and Woolf, big planes and big ships respectively! :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'd like to see Northern Ireland included as part of the UK, as that would allow the inclusion of Short Bros and Harland and Woolf, big planes and big ships respectively! :) 

Cheers,

Mark

N.I. definitely counts

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

as that would allow the inclusion of Short Bros and Harland and Woolf, big planes and big ships respectively!

Harland and Wolff built HMS Belfast and RMS Titanic I believe. Both rather big for their type and both somewhat British. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Harland and Wolff built HMS Belfast and RMS Titanic I believe. Both rather big for their type and both somewhat British. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

Absolutely, I believe there were two cruisers, Belfast being one of these, and six aircraft carriers, built during WW2, plus apparently artillery pieces and other equipment. They built monitors and cruisers in the Great War, and all three of the Olympic Class liners.

I notice I mis-spelled the company name, too. Whoops! It is of course Harland and Wolff - two 'f's, not two 'o's!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

N.I. definitely counts

That's good to hear, but it ain't British. Still, "Big and from the UK" doesn't have the same ring to it. 😉

Joking apart, I've spent a lot of time in Northern Ireland over the years, enough to know how sore a point this can be; not that I'd presume to speak for anyone born and raised there, my Irish catholic surname got me into one or two enlightening discussions.

It's a wonderful place to visit, when things are back to normal I'm going over with SWMBO, I plan to visit this iconic aircraft before heading up to Bushmills:

• Like 2

• Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! 25 members so far
  • 2 weeks later...

I would love to be counted in!

I have so many options in the stash that I have no idea which I would pick:

Challenger II, Vulcan, Lancaster, various battleships or aircraft carriers.

Or Maybe even HMS Victory, not exactly battleship size but she is still pretty flipping big!

• Like 1

On 10/06/2021 at 21:42, OutcastJoel said:

I would love to be counted in!

I have so many options in the stash that I have no idea which I would pick:

Challenger II, Vulcan, Lancaster, various battleships or aircraft carriers.

Or Maybe even HMS Victory, not exactly battleship size but she is still pretty flipping big!

Pick the Vulcan!

• Haha 2

On 6/10/2021 at 1:36 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Wait till @Enzo Matrix sees this, we are going to need to sedate him !

One of the Aitrfix Lanc's will be a 617 Sqn. machine, complete with Alleycat Tallboy conversion AND a Belcher Bits trolley for said Tallboy😁

Davey.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Victor in its refueling configuration and a Vulcan to go with it on my to do list (both 1/72), and a couple of the WW2 heavies in my stash, would love to enter with one of those when the time comes!

• Like 1

On 02/07/2021 at 22:08, Ravnos said:

I've got a Victor in its refueling configuration and a Vulcan to go with it on my to do list (both 1/72), and a couple of the WW2 heavies in my stash, would love to enter with one of those when the time comes!

Can't wait to see these!

• Thanks 1

• Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! 27 members so far
29 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Can't wait to see these!

Thanks! really looking forward to building them, I'll need to see if I can resist before the GB rolls around, if not I'm sure I can find something suitably big to enter with by then :P

26 minutes ago, Ravnos said:

Thanks! really looking forward to building them, I'll need to see if I can resist before the GB rolls around, if not I'm sure I can find something suitably big to enter with by then :P

I'd suggest building the Vulcan and Victor now, and buying another set of V Bombers

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

I'd suggest building the Vulcan and Victor now, and buying another set of V Bombers

Any excuse to buy some more kits 😆

When I do get round to building the Vulcan I might need to pick your brains on paint schemes at some point!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ravnos said:

Any excuse to buy some more kits 😆

When I do get round to building the Vulcan I might need to pick your brains on paint schemes at some point!

More than happy to help out with that 😂 is it the new kit?

• Thanks 1