Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

I think I'll be doing some armour builds in 2022 so please put me on the list and I'll start to have a look around. Or maybe a big lorry... oh I know: a Scammel! :idea:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

now this is what I set up this group build for! Very big! Very British! 

I am doing lots to the house, once finished I am having one of those oak framed timber car ports...

I quite like the idea of a giant Lancaster hanging from the rafters with a suitably British GT car underneath.   As the shopping list for the next 18 months includes a new kitchen, timber bi-fold doors, a garage and a DB9 I think I can sneak the HK Lancaster in as part of the renovation budget...  

I may have to invoke the 25% rule and get some sub assembly out the way in advance!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scargsy said:

Count me in, I've been looking for an excuse to build my 1/72 Halifax for some time, thought there needs to be a bomber GB at some point, this fits the bill nicely!

Well I did think about a bomber GB but this seems to be basically the same thing with more added on 

• Like 1

• Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! 16 members so far
Just now, Marklo said:

I’ve been toying with scratchbuilding a Bolton and Paul overstrand or a sidestrand butbin 1/144, would they count?

certainly, they were big for their time. Scale has no bearing on this. The overstrand is interesting, I think there's a replica cockpit somewhere- should have a full replica built to go with it!

On 04/12/2020 at 10:01, Mig Eater said:

scratch build one in 1/72, at that scale it will have a wing span of about 1.8m (just small enough to fit on my 2m work bench 😁)

1.8m wingspan ~= 6ft * 72 = 432 ft 😲. I think maybe 0.9m, which would be 200 ft or so. Now you can build two side-by-side :)

Sorry! Now I've been a maths killjoy, I suppose I'd better register an interest! I would love an excuse to build a Short Stirling, Short Sunderland or Avro Manchester.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Sign me up please!

I have a few battleships (Dreadnought, Iron Duke, KGV), and a few big British aircraft (HP42/45, Argosy (I have a diorama idea for that), Shackleton(s),, Lancaster BII, Fairey Rotodyne.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! 18 members so far

Aye up @Adam Poultney

I'm up for this one with either a Churchill, Centurion or a Conqueror (will give me an excuse to buy the Amusing Hobby kit) I see that Amusing Hobby have also announced a Caernarvon so that may also be an option 😉

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

As the only stipulation now is big and British, I'll add to the variation with a Dapol 9f Evening Star loco if I may 😁

Seems a good enough excuse to finally build it 😁

• 4 months later...
  • Adam Poultney changed the title to Big and British! 22 members so far

Can you put me down for this please Adam. It'd be something Coastal Command. I hope that Whitley we were talking about will be done by then so it'd be a Shackleton, a Wellington (big enough?) or a Halifax.

EDIT: Just picked up an Airfix Shackleton MR.2 for a decent price, would prob'ly go with that.

Edited by TonyOD

Please put me down for this, Adam.

Round the Horne, Armpit Theatre, "Moby Duck":

Williams: "Avast! avast!"

Horne: "A vast what?"

Williams: "I dunno, but its pretty big."

Alan

• Haha 5

Hi Adam,

I'd like to be included in this GB, if I may? I've got absolutely nothing in my stash that's suitable, but it's a good reason to find something!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

So many choices. 

If Paper Planes are allowed what about Paper Ships. Can think of a fair few big and British ships that were designed but not built. 

Sign me up and I’ll think of something. 

• Like 1

Gidday,  I don't know if this question has already been asked? Are whiffs allowed, provided they're of a British design and flavour? For example an enlarged fictitious version of a British warship. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 1:43 PM, fatfingers said:

I see that Amusing Hobby have also announced a Caernarvon so that may also be an option

I've never heard of this brand before. I love it. After all, I can't help chuckling to myself as I crawl around the carpet looking for a dropped piece for the fourth time in a given evening. Most amusing.

• Haha 4