Big and British GB chat

Adam Poultney

Following the failure of my V Force group build to get through this year's bunfight for a 2021 slot, I decided to submit a new GB proposal that would encompass most of what was covered by the previous proposal and increase the appeal significantly. I think the V Force group build was a little too narrow in scope, and just couldn't get the support of some of the wider appeal ones on the list. So here's the new GB proposal:

Big and British

It's what it says on the tin, a group build of big British aircraft, land vehicles or ships. If it's big and it's British it will be allowed. I hope we will see plenty of interesting models, some classic types and some less famous subjects. A few V Bombers, some WW2 heavies, some British airliners. Maybe you could build a Vulcan, a Lancaster or a VC10, or you could build the Bristol Brabazon, a large ship or a Saunders Roe Princess if you want. It doesn't matter so long as it fits both the categories of big and British.

Rules and guidelines for the Big and British Group Build: 

What Counts as British?

British includes anything from England, Scotland, Wales plus any of the little rocks in the sea which are British, additionally Northern Ireland is included despite not being part of the Island of Great Britain as it is part of the British Isles and the UK.

Foreign derivatives of British aircraft are a grey area. Some such as an RB-57F seem quite far removed from their British origins, there seem to be more foreign bits than British bits, but an earlier variant like a B57B or something seems to be more British than American. I'll leave this up to the modeller's discretion so long as they can justify it. 

For aircraft which were jointly developed like Concorde, if possible go with British markings. An Air France Concorde feels more like a French aircraft whereas a British Airways one feels like a British aircraft. Airbus aircraft in British markings would qualify if we had a hand in development (eg A400M).

Entirely foreign aircraft in British markings do not count as British, so no RAF C17s or B17s, no BA 747s or BOAC 707s

What counts as big?

An aircraft or other vehicle which was big for its time and/or role, or even just enormous in general. I won't draw an absolute line, use your discretion so long as you can justify it. 

This is not about larger scales. A 1/24 Spitfire will not qualify but a 1/200 Vulcan will.

Other rules

25% rule applies as normal in addition to all other standard group build rules

What-if builds will be allowed if they meet all other criteria. If you want to make an Avro Atlantic or Vickers V1000 or something, go for it. 

• Like 1

Interested members:

1. @Adam Poultney - I will build a Vulcan of course

2. @helios16v - blue steel Victor

3. @dnl42- Pit Road Vulcan

4. @zebra

5. @CliffB - bus

6. @desert falcon - ship?

7. @Stefan Buysse- Victor and argosy

8. @Corsairfoxfouruncle -Victor or ww2 heavy

9. @rafalbert- matchbox Victor

10.@bigbadbadge-Shackleton or Nimrod

11. @klr- ww2 heavy, Nimrod, Shackleton, Victor or Vulcan

12. @Mig Eater- Vickers Type C

13. @JOCKNEY- a list of possible builds

14. @JeroenS

15. @At Sea - 1/32 Lancaster; very big, very British!

16. @Scargsy - 1/72 Halifax (I need to get one of those!)

17. @Ray S

18. @Timmas - V Bomber or a Nimrod

19. @fatfingers

20. @Mig Eater

21. @Redstaff

22. @wimbledon99

23. @2996 Victor

24. @DaveyGair

25. @Rafwaffe

26. @OutcastJoel

27. @Ravnos

28. @Bbdave

29. @ArnoldAmbrose

30. @Torbjorn

31. @DaveJL

32. @John Masters

33. @Black Knight

34. @TonyOD

etc....

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

Just now, dnl42 said:

A Pitroad 1/144 Vulcan is at the ready. 

very good, like that kit. I would source a spare blue steel from the Trumpeter kit though as it's a lot more accurate (once you scratch build the missing lower fin)

• Thanks 1

I'd be up for this so add me to the list. Not sure how to define big - to me it's big enough that I'd at least consider building it in 1/144 (but if it's the new Airfix Vulcan of course I'm going to build it!).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zebra said:

I'd be up for this so add me to the list. Not sure how to define big - to me it's big enough that I'd at least consider building it in 1/144 (but if it's the new Airfix Vulcan of course I'm going to build it!).

I'll add you

Hi Adam.  Have you thought about expanding the scope beyond aircraft?  That would probably further improve your chances.

I'm thinking about battleships, main battle tanks, express locos etc.etc.  Basically, anything that can be defined as being big (relative to others in its category).

I've got an Airfix Type B bus that I'd love to build ;)

1 minute ago, CliffB said:

Hi Adam.  Have you thought about expanding the scope beyond aircraft?  That would probably further improve your chances.

I'm thinking about battleships, main battle tanks, express locos etc.etc.  I've got an Airfix Type B bus that I'd love to build ;)

Is it big and is it British? If yes, it's included. I don't build much outside of aircraft so I just didn't think to put it on the original post

• Like 1

Just now, Adam Poultney said:

Is it big and is it British? If yes, it's included. I don't build much outside of aircraft so I just didn't think to put it on the original post

Count me in then please with the bus!

Cheers

6 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I'm thinking about battleships, main battle tanks, express locos etc.etc.  Basically, anything that can be defined as being big (relative to others in its category).

I've got an Airfix Type B bus that I'd love to build ;)

4 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

If this is the case, I could potentially see myself doing a British MBT or maybe my first battleship?

So feel free to add me to the list please! 

Hi, 

There is a staggering number  of subjects that I'd like to build that would fit into this GB.

I'll probably participate with the HP Victor. An Airfix one in 1/72 and one of those  GWH B.2's in 1/144 (modified by either removing the Küchemann carrots or by adding a Blue Steel missile). 

Possibly an Argosy as well.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hey @Adam Poultney, something I was thinking about.....  Since this GB concept is spawned from the V-Force GB that fell short in the polls, you could have a separate V-Force subset inside this build.  Be able to have separate galleries for the V-bombers, then all the other heavies can have their own moment in the spotlight.

Merely thinking aloud.  :hmmm:

16 hours ago, CliffB said:

Count me in then please with the bus!

Cheers

sounds good to me

16 hours ago, desert falcon said:

If this is the case, I could potentially see myself doing a British MBT or maybe my first battleship?

So feel free to add me to the list please! 

battleships certainly fall into the category of straight up big

14 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi, 

There is a staggering number  of subjects that I'd like to build that would fit into this GB.

I'll probably participate with the HP Victor. An Airfix one in 1/72 and one of those  GWH B.2's in 1/144 (modified by either removing the Küchemann carrots or by adding a Blue Steel missile). 

Possibly an Argosy as well.

Cheers, Stefan.

love the Victor, and a modded early one would certainly be interesting. I just picked up the 1/144 kit part built that I will probably mod to the early one (like I did with one of my Airfix ones).

Argosy sounds good also, huge aircraft. 

12 hours ago, helios16v said:

Hey @Adam Poultney, something I was thinking about.....  Since this GB concept is spawned from the V-Force GB that fell short in the polls, you could have a separate V-Force subset inside this build.  Be able to have separate galleries for the V-bombers, then all the other heavies can have their own moment in the spotlight.

Merely thinking aloud.  :hmmm:

Mmm yes that would be a possible idea but I'm also happy to run this with everything in together

5 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Hi Adam, count me in for this one, I may be brave and attempt to fit the resin intakes to the Matchbox Victor 🤔

Dave

Braver than me, I've not built the kit yet. I just build the Airfix one instead....

8 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Would be interested it this one if you will allow.  Have a Nimrod or a Shackleton that I could do.

Thanks

Chris

Both big and both british, certainly interesting subjects. I've added you to the list. 

Someone really needs to release a good 1/144 Nimrod....

• Thanks 1

Count me in.

I need a reason to build a Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling, Shackleton, Nimrod, Victor ... or even the HP.42/45 in 1/144. I also have a 1/200 Vulcan.

But if non-aircraft subjects are allowed, how big would (say) a ship have to be? I'm guessing battlecruiser, dreadnought, aircraft carrier ... or even a passenger liner/cruise ship.

1 minute ago, klr said:

Count me in.

I need a reason to build a Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling, Shackleton, Nimrod, Victor ... or even the HP.42/45 in 1/144. I also have a 1/200 Vulcan.

Build all of them! I may or may not have just bought my 9th 1/200 Vulcan..... Good kit just needs a little vulcan knowledge to get right.

1 minute ago, klr said:

But if non-aircraft subjects are allowed, how big would (say) a ship have to be? I'm guessing battlecruiser, dreadnought, aircraft carrier ... or even a passenger liner/cruise ship.

Well certainly not any little tug boats, pretty much what you've said here I would consider big. The line is a bit fuzzy really.

2 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Build all of them! I may or may not have just bought my 9th 1/200 Vulcan..... Good kit just needs a little vulcan knowledge to get right.

Well certainly not any little tug boats, pretty much what you've said here I would consider big. The line is a bit fuzzy really.

If there were a kit of the RRS David Attenborough (aka Boaty McBoat Face), that would probably count. But unfortunately there isn't. Someone (I'm looking at you Airfixx) missed a trick by not having a kit ready to release the same time the real thing goes into service.

boaty-667719.jpg

• Like 1

Contrail Blackburn Beverley 

Frog Shackleton 

Contrail Lincoln 

Roden Felixstowe 

Airfix HP 0/400

Matchbox Victor

Given the number of vacforms and biplanes it's going to potentially be a long build. Might be tempted to build the easy ones. :phew:

Cheers Pat 

Big & British you say... well cant get much bigger then this, the Vickers Type C heavy bomber...

spacer.png spacer.png

There is a 1/144 scale kit of this beast available which even at that small scale still has a wing span of 45cm. I want to go much, much bigger though & scratch build one in 1/72, at that scale it will have a wing span of about 1.8m (just small enough to fit on my 2m work bench 😁)

I was thinking of possibly building this in the "Anything but injection" GB next year but will have to see how that goes, it might be more at home here with some other big winged British brethren.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

Big & British you say... well cant get much bigger then this, the Vickers Type C heavy bomber...

spacer.png spacer.png

There is a 1/144 scale kit of this beast available which even at that small scale still has a wing span of 45cm. I want to go much, much bigger though & scratch build one in 1/72, at that scale it will have a wing span of about 1.8m (just small enough to fit on my 2m work bench 😁)

I was thinking of possibly building this in the "Anything but injection" GB next year but will have to see how that goes, it might be more at home here with some other big winged British brethren.

that will be a welcome addition

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Contrail Blackburn Beverley 

Frog Shackleton 

Contrail Lincoln 

Roden Felixstowe 

Airfix HP 0/400

Matchbox Victor

Given the number of vacforms and biplanes it's going to potentially be a long build. Might be tempted to build the easy ones. :phew:

Cheers Pat 

sounds like a good list