1/72nd Matchbox Lysander Mk.II, 4 Sqn, 4 Sqn, pre war 1939

Great-looking Matchbox! You really did a great job and that old model. My brother built one circa 1990 and I thought that one looked good.. Now this is sweet to see one of those old gems done so nicely now.

• Like 1

Looks great Tony.  An old kit which still scrubs up well.  I manged to get up close and personal with the HAC's aicraft at Goodwood last year. A beautiful restoration.  I'm surprised Xtradecal made so many errors with their sheet.  What paint did you use for the exhaust collector ring?  It has a very convincing metal look.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is rather lovely Tony, right up there with your best to my eye & I can give no greater praise than that. :)

Steve.

WOW,... thanks Steve,..... much appreciated mate, glad you like it. 

7 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hi Tony

You really made this Matchbox Lysander fine.

Patrick

Thank you very much Patrick.

4 hours ago, Homer said:

I remember building this kit when it first came on sale ,back in the day.You have done a great job she looks fantastic 👏 

Thanks very much,..... yeah it is an olden goldie but goodie kit. 

4 hours ago, Kentavros76 said:

Beautiful built!!!:clap:

With the right attention, all those old and outdated kits can become real stars and you just made one!👍

Thank you,.... yes Matchbox made some good clean kits in the day which provide the bare bones for a decent model. .... glad you like this one, cheers.

4 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Hi Tony, yet another great model, the fact that is an old Matchbox model shows you can create a really good model from these old birds.  Well done!!

Thanks Colin,..... yes Matchbox made some nice old kits, the Lizzie was one of their best.

4 hours ago, invidia said:

Fantastic looking model, hard to believe its an old matchbox kit. 

Thanks mate,..... yeah Matchbox did some nice kits which provide the bare bones for a bit of fettling and titillation!

4 hours ago, Viking said:

Great to see these 'oldie' kits still being built. Your brush painting skill are awesome Tony!

Cheers

John

Thanks John,.... very kind of you cheers,...... just lots of practice! 

3 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Lovely.

Thank Eric.

1 hour ago, Paramedic said:

Great-looking Matchbox! You really did a great job and that old model. My brother built one circa 1990 and I thought that one looked good.. Now this is sweet to see one of those old gems done so nicely now.

Thanks mate,.... yeah it is a lovely old kit. 

53 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Looks great Tony.  An old kit which still scrubs up well.  I manged to get up close and personal with the HAC's aicraft at Goodwood last year. A beautiful restoration.  I'm surprised Xtradecal made so many errors with their sheet.  What paint did you use for the exhaust collector ring?  It has a very convincing metal look.

Cheers Bud,.... yeah I saw that lizzie at Duxford in the summer,...... beautifully done isn`t it,..... and you can buy flights in it too! I got the impression that Xtradecal might have used a colour side view artwork or something,..... strange isn`t it? The collector ring was painted using Humbrol metalcote Polished Steel,.... which was polished up by dry brushing over it and then finished off using an old rag.

Thanks again everybody,..... you are all very kind,

Cheers

Tony

2 hours ago, Natter said:

The models come off your bench at a rate akin to SF Gimpy fire, they're painted with brushes and they're still amazing, every one.  How do you do it?

LOL,.... cheers Dave! SF Gimpies,.... happy days eh?!!  I just rattle them off mate,...... I usually build in batches of aircraft in the same basic scheme,.... sort of paint them like a production line,..... plus the elves help too!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bangor Lad said:

Great work!

I really think that Matchbox kits are a great basis for detailing. They invariably reward the investment of time.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers Dave,.... yeah fully agree mate.

3 hours ago, Beard said:

To repeat what other have said, she looks rather splendid. I recently made the same kit and, although I'm happy with the result, it don't look as nice as yours.

Cheers Beard,..... I`m sure yours was  corker mate,.... I remember you were looking into doing one,..... did you post the finished model?

• Like 1

Remember the Lysander was Matchbox PK7. One of the first batch in '72 or' 73. 

The fact that it still holds up so well says something for those early Matchbox kits. Yes a lot of them had trenches to match the Western front in WW1 but they were buildable and looked the part. Particularly their biplanes.

I bought every Matchbox kit I could lay my hands on. Even the obscure. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Beard,..... I`m sure yours was  corker mate,.... I remember you were looking into doing one,..... did you post the finished model?

In my eyes it was. I was planning to do a MkI/III, after getting some Blenheim cowlings from Heather K,  but I got distracted by Hurricanes. One day I'll get round to doing it.

I stopped posting photos on here because I lost interest. Covid has got me modelling again and I'm trying to work my way through my ever-expanding stash. Maybe I'll post some photos, when I finished the 7 or 8 kits I've got on the go.

• Like 1

Lovely work Tony. What metallic paint did you use for the cowling, if you don't mind me asking? It looks great...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 7:11 AM, Beard said:

In my eyes it was. I was planning to do a MkI/III, after getting some Blenheim cowlings from Heather K,  but I got distracted by Hurricanes. One day I'll get round to doing it.

I stopped posting photos on here because I lost interest. Covid has got me modelling again and I'm trying to work my way through my ever-expanding stash. Maybe I'll post some photos, when I finished the 7 or 8 kits I've got on the go.

I look forward to seeing it,..... I`ve often thought of adding a Blenheim engine/cowling to do  Mk.I or III,.... still some filling and sanding but easy enough for you mate,.... I`ll look forward to seeing it when it is finished,..... don`t forget to cut out those rear windows and drill out the landing lights on the spats too,..... it adds a lot for little output. 

On 12/4/2020 at 1:03 PM, keith in the uk said:

Lovely work again Tony . :like: 

Thanks Keith,.... very kind mate. 

17 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Tony. What metallic paint did you use for the cowling, if you don't mind me asking? It looks great...

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,..... I used Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium,.... after the first coat I dry brushed on a few more and polished it up like that,..... finishing with a rag. Glad you like it,..... I often dry brush a few other colours in like blue or bronze.

All the best

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1