1/72nd Matchbox Lysander Mk.II, 4 Sqn, 4 Sqn, pre war 1939

Hiya Folks,

Another one finished,..... the old Matchbox Lysander is still a nice kit although the interior is a little basic, so I added a few extras from the spares box here including an instrument panel, a decent pilots seat and control column, a fuel tank behind the pilot and behind that a small circular seat for the gunner plus a bit of side wall detail,.... and you probably cannot see any of it despite the large greenhouse canopy!! The front of the wheel spats was also drilled out and glazed using crystal clear to represent the landing lights and the windows on the rear fuselage were also cut out and glazed in the same way.

The model was brush painted and finished as a pre war aircraft of 4 Sqn using Xtradecal sheet 72148,... but the instructions are not very good and represent the right side of the aircraft incorrectly,....with the code letters arranged the wrong way around,..... while the B Type roundels seem over large too when compared to a photo of the real aircraft found in an old issue of Aviation News.  I also added underwing roundels and serials as non were provided on the sheet;

DSCF9079-NEW.jpg

DSCF9083-NEW.jpg

DSCF9077-NEW.jpg

DSCF9064-NEW.jpg

DSCF9062-NEW.jpg

DSCF9061-NEW.jpg

DSCF9065-NEW.jpg

DSCF9071-NEW.jpg

DSCF9067-NEW.jpg

DSCF9078-NEW.jpg

DSCF9080-NEW.jpg

DSCF9082.jpg

DSCF9084-NEW.jpg

DSCF9085-NEW.jpg

DSCF9066-NEW.jpg

EDIT; I built one in the Matchbox GB a few years ago too if anybody i interested or wants to see some of the extras that I added;

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 66
  • Thanks 2

An amazing Lysander. I really like the old Matchbox Kits since they can be converted into nice models with skill and a few add-ons as one can see when looking at this beautiful little plane.👏 

• Like 1

That is one good looking Lizzie there.

You've more than done it justice.

I remember building this many, many years ago when Matchbox first released it.

Needless to say it was not one of my finer moments... of course I blame the equipment and paints I had back then.  :whistle: . Nothing to do with the wielder.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

Nice job Tony.  The Matchbox Lizzie is still one of my favorite kits.  I have one in the Drawer of Doom I should finish.

Jim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swralph said:

Lovely modelling Tony.😀

Thanks Ralph. 

7 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Absolutely superb! The old Matchbox Lizzie is one of their best i think. Lovely job. Paintwork as ever is cracking. 👍

Cheers mate,.... yeah one of their best,..... thanks re the paintwork too. 

7 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely Lysander, great job on the old Matchbox !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman,.... much appreciated. 

7 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

An amazing Lysander. I really like the old Matchbox Kits since they can be converted into nice models with skill and a few add-ons as one can see when looking at this beautiful little plane.👏 

Thanks mate,.... yeah one of their better kits, ...... pity you can see how bad the canopy fits and other things when it is blown up on a screen! My eyes are shocking these days and 1/72nd is getting to be too small!

7 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Hey, that is a cracker Tony....

Thanks mate. 

7 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

That's a real beauty Tony takes me right back building the Matchbox kit as a kid, you've done a great job 

thanks for sharing

regards

Eamonn

Cheers Eamonn,..... yeah I bet we`ve built a few between us over the years eh? 

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

That is one good looking Lizzie there.

You've more than done it justice.

I remember building this many, many years ago when Matchbox first released it.

Needless to say it was not one of my finer moments... of course I blame the equipment and paints I had back then.  :whistle: . Nothing to do with the wielder.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,.... much appreciated. I`ve noticed a few problems since posting it at such high magnification on screen.... I eally need to get some stronger glasses,..... didn`t have those problems back in the day when we used to stick our fingers to Matchbox kits eh?

3 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Great one, Tony -

These old Matchbox kits were my pocket buys when I was a kid - great memories!

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave,...... yeah same with me,...... straight down to the papershop on a Saturday morning!  

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo what a lovely Lizzie Tony, it looks wonderful in this scheme with the yellow stripes on the wheel spats.  

I remember building this as a youngster and  could only wish for something this nice.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... yeah I me too mate,.... I`ve left some crappy Lizzies lying by the wayside over the years mind you! Iwas drawn to the scheme because of the yellow stripes too,..... I`ve noticed a few gaffs on the model now that it is `on the big screen' so to speak,...... these 1/72nd kits are getting to be a bit small for my tired eyes these days! 

2 hours ago, John_W said:

Very nice build. The yellow stripes on the spats make it very distinctive.

Thanks John,.... yeah a nice spalsh of colour indeed. 

2 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Fine work - the framing on the cockpit is impressive,

Michael

Cheers Michael,...... I`ve noticed a few gaffs on the canopy framing which I missed with Mk.1 eyeball,..... all brush painted and tidied up with a wooden cocktail stick.

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

That's a beautiful build Tony,always a pleasure seeing a Matchbox kit at it's best.

Thanks Steve,... there is something quite cathartic about revisiting Matchbox with a fresh eye after all of these years.

1 hour ago, airjiml2 said:

Nice job Tony.  The Matchbox Lizzie is still one of my favorite kits.  I have one in the Drawer of Doom I should finish.

Jim

Thanks Jim,..... yeah the Matchbox Lizzie is a little gem,..... imagine it as an RCAF yellow and black taget tug? 

Thanks for the kind comments folks, they are very much appreciated,

Cheers,

Tony   

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2