1/48th Airfix Blenheim Mk.If, 219 Sqn, RAF Catterick 1940.

Hiya Folks,

I enjoyed my two postings to the Army Garrison in North Yorkshire at Catterick and at the time RAF Catterick was still an active RAF airfield, Depot of the RAF Regiment and was almost like a  time capsule, looking much as it would have done back in 1940,...... unfortunately that has now changed since the Army got their mitts onto it, as anybody travelling along the adjacent A1 will know!  

I wanted to build the new Airfix 1/48th Blenheim Mk.If as a Catterick based aircraft from 1940, with the addition of fin flashes and the yellow outline to the fuselage roundel but still with the black and white undersides sported until just before the Battle of Britain and with only a few reference photos go go with, I opted for L8685, FK-N of 219 Sqn. The model was brush painted apart from the white on the underside which was rattle can and although I represented the painted out and modified roundels on the upper wing, the colours seem to have blended better than expected after a coat of varnish,..... ah well! I`ve also noted that the pitot on the side of the nose fell off while carrying the model to be photographed,..... and once I`ve found it (hopefully!) it will be stuck back on!

Here is a radar equipped Blenheim Mk.If of B Flight, 219 Sqn based at RAF Catterick in 1940;

219-B-flight-opt.jpg

The Model,.... L8685, FK-N, doe not appear to have been fitted with radar during the summer of 1940;

DSCF9046-NEW.jpg

DSCF9045-NEW.jpg

DSCF9043-NEW.jpg

DSCF9044-NEW.jpg

DSCF9041-NEW.jpg

DSCF9059-NEW.jpg

DSCF9048-NEW.jpg

DSCF9051-NEW.jpg

DSCF9054-NEW.jpg

DSCF9055.jpg

DSCF9056-NEW.jpg

I was impressed by this new Airfix kit and will certainly be building another,...... I`d like to built a couple of bombers,.... one based in Greece (the next boxing will feature one of these!) and also an Indian based pre war aircraft,....  space allowing!

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 67
  • Thanks 1

Your usual very pleasing build of what is obviously a nice kit. 

Looking at the photo of the aircrew lined up. You have to wonder how many of those smiling young men survived the war, indeed survived into the following year. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Funny, just been thinking about my 48th Airfix Blenheim.  One probably silly question: how can you tell that the first photo's aircraft is radar equipped?

It looks as though she’s got the early AI “bow and arrow” antenna on the nose.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Excellent build! I like the subtle weathering.

Thanks very much,.... glad you like it mate.

7 hours ago, noelh said:

Your usual very pleasing build of what is obviously a nice kit. 

Looking at the photo of the aircrew lined up. You have to wonder how many of those smiling young men survived the war, indeed survived into the following year. 

Thanks Noel,... very nice of you to say so, yes it is a lovely kit. Like you I often look st those young faces staring out from old photos and wonder what they had already seen and how they fared.

7 hours ago, swralph said:

Looks brilliant Tony.😀

Cheers mate,...... and looking at the bottom of your post,..... I think my be too! 

6 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice Blenheim there Tony, great job

Cheers Russ,... glad you like it mate. 

6 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Another beauty you've done a great job on the weathering very impressive

thanks for sharing

regards

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn,.... very kind of you. 

6 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

This is a remarkable Blenheim. Perfect build!👍

Thanks mate,.... I woouldn`t say that,... but very glad you like it, cheers. 

5 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very nicely done, that really looks good

Cheers mate,... glad you like it. 

4 hours ago, Jeff G said:

You certainly did this one justice, excellent work!

Cheers Jeff,.... glad you like it mate.

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

A cracking Blenheim Tony, great work as usual.  Got one of these in the stash to do.   You can just make out the paint differences around the upper wing roundels,  great job on this. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... and thanks for saying you noticed the painted out roundels,..... kind of you too as I`m struggling to see them! You must get you`re from the stash,..... so glad I dug mine out. 

2 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

Splendid work! I also have my eye on their next release, the Mediterranean Blenheim, and your model sure is inspirational for it

Thank you,.... nice of you to say that and hope you enjoy the next boxing.

1 hour ago, Michael51 said:

It looks great and all the more so for a good, context-rich story,

Michael

Thanks Michael,..... glad you enjoyed my waffle too LOL

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

Funny, just been thinking about my 48th Airfix Blenheim.  One probably silly question: how can you tell that the first photo's aircraft is radar equipped?

You won`t be disappointed mate,.... it is a nice kit. As already stated,.... yeah it is the nose antennae,..... you can just make out the antennae on the side of the engine nacelles too. 

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

It looks as though she’s got the early AI “bow and arrow” antenna on the nose.

Cheers Steve,.... correct. 

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Great job Tony!

Thanks Steve,.... glad you like it mate. 

Thanks for all the kind comments,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Chris,..... and thanks for saying you noticed the painted out roundels,..... kind of you too as I`m struggling to see them! You must get you`re from the stash,..... so glad I dug mine out. 

No worries fella, it does look fantastic, it is not too far from the top just gotta finish the Spitfire Vb and then I will start on some twins oooeerrr.  Two very yellow aircraft, the FAA Anson and a RCAF Ventura.  I have wanted to do both for so long now.  

I will dig it out soonish and figure out what scheme to do.  It will have a large fin flash.

Great work on yours fella.

Chris

23 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

Fantastic build Tony - what's not to like about a Blenheim - especially one that's been completed to the standard of yours.  Loving your camo work :thumbsup: 

Kris

Thanks Kris,..... glad you like it mate, it is a superb kit mind you. 

18 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Thanks mate. 

17 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Man, that's just fabulous.  I especially love that it's been brush painted.  That's really something - I aspire to be as good as this.

Thanks Jack,..... yeah I`m a bit old school and prefer to muddle on with a hairy stick,...... it just takes a bit of practice!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

No worries fella, it does look fantastic, it is not too far from the top just gotta finish the Spitfire Vb and then I will start on some twins oooeerrr.  Two very yellow aircraft, the FAA Anson and a RCAF Ventura.  I have wanted to do both for so long now.  

I will dig it out soonish and figure out what scheme to do.  It will have a large fin flash.

Great work on yours fella.

Chris

It HAS to have a large fin flash!!! 

Looking forward to the Anson and Ventura mate,..... I do like both types and know the schemes you have in mind I think,..... black and yellow stripey Ventura? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonyot said:

It HAS to have a large fin flash!!! 

Looking forward to the Anson and Ventura mate,..... I do like both types and know the schemes you have in mind I think,..... black and yellow stripey Ventura? 

Yes that's the one 

• Like 1