1/48 Hobbyboss McDonnell F3H-2M Demon

1/48 Hobbyboss McDonnell F3H-2M Demon VF-14 Tophatters.  OOB apart from Pavla resin seat.

50799218821_5df758439f_c.jpgDemon 1 by stuart burn, on Flickr

50799220156_8fdbbbbaca_c.jpgDemon 2 by stuart burn, on Flickr

50799334877_0f6c0a3f05_c.jpgDemon 3 by stuart burn, on Flickr

50799220141_6a0f2d46ae_c.jpgDemon 4 by stuart burn, on Flickr

50799336267_9d68b1a851_c.jpgDemon 5 by stuart burn, on Flickr

50799218801_226d402fbc_c.jpgDemon 6 by stuart burn, on Flickr

50798472743_f9cf9c598c_c.jpgDemon 7 by stuart burn, on Flickr

Edited by Blade2009
  • Like 41

Excellent model. Congrats.

How did it build? Had read some reviews that say is ok, but in others say is not so. After looking what you have achieved, I think you are more than qualified to give an educated opinion.

Please, keep them coming.

While I haven't built the kit, the one significant complaint I've seen in reviews is that the kit wings don't have the proper anhedral. Other than that, I don't remember reading of any other real concerns. I suspect plastic card acting as shims could resolve the anhedral problem.

Edited by SAT69
Punctuation error

It's easy to see the McDonnell family trait shared be the Demon and then Voodoo and finally seen in the F-4 Phantom II along the rear fuselage/engine area.   It is interesting to watch the development of that characteristic throughout those designs, all quite large aircraft as well.    Blade, I have this very kit in the stash and your beauty might be the push needed to move it closer to the front of the queue!  😀

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jfgred1 said:

Excellent model. Congrats.

How did it build? Had read some reviews that say is ok, but in others say is not so. After looking what you have achieved, I think you are more than qualified to give an educated opinion.

Please, keep them coming.

Thanks, it built really well i can't remember having an problems with it at all just needs a fair amount of weight in the nose to stop it tail sitting and i think it definitely benefits from using the resin seat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SAT69 said:

While I haven't built the kit, the one significant complaint I've seen in reviews is that the kit wings don't have the proper anhedral. Other than that, I don't remember reading of any other real concerns. I suspect plastic card acting as shims could resolve the anhedral problem.

Demon anhedral done to death. Short answer, it is zero.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vulcanicity said:

Superb model! Love the Demon, it always reminds me of the Scimitar, both in looks and its short, undistinguished career...

?!? The F3H deployed 44 times over 7+ years. The F2H-3/4 38 times/6years and the F4D, only 18 times/5 years. The only transonic Navy jet to do better up until the F8U and F4H was the Cougar (F9F-6/7/8) 48 times but only 5 years. It was the first all-weather-missile armed carrier-based fighter (the F2H-3/4 was all-weather but its Sidewinder wasn’t; the F4D was all-weather but again armed with Sidewinders that weren’t - the less said about the accuracy of its unguided rockets the better; the F7U-3M didn’t have a visual-assist radar so it wasn’t really all-weather; the F3D-2M didn’t deploy...) and arguably was a major and significant technical/operational milestone on the way to the development/deployment of the F4H.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
Added F4D exception