P-47, 1944.

Wafu

Hi all,

A quick question for all the P-47 experts out there, I’d like to build either a 1/48 or 1/32 P-47 flown by Cptn Quentin Aanenson, USAF in Northern France, 1944.

Does or did any of the decal manufacturers print the decals for his machine, I think it’s Topsy, or at least this one was the one he crashed.

Thanks in advance.

389th FS, 366th FG, 9th AF, which would make the squadron code A6, and it looks like the aircraft letter is J This is all I could find- sorry! It would make a neat tribute model, if you can find the serial.

Mike

Here is a website with photos of some 366th FG Jugs based at Thruxton.

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/T-V/Thruxton.htm

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

389th FS, 366th FG, 9th AF, which would make the squadron code A6, and it looks like the aircraft letter is J This is all I could find- sorry! It would make a neat tribute model, if you can find the serial.

Mike

Here is a website with photos of some 366th FG Jugs based at Thruxton.

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/T-V/Thruxton.htm

391st FS according to Wikipedia and a couple of other sites. One has the plane named "Topsy Turvy." Maybe the "Turvy" is on the other side? One site has the code as A8-J, which makes sense if it was 391st FS rather than 389th.

Aanenson's 'own' machine was a 'razorback', named "Rebel Jack / Annie's Orphan" and coded "A8*Z" (although I can't recall the serial just now).  This one was lost 25.Dec. 1944 while being flown by another pilot.  'Rebel Jack' referred to his then-girlfriend, later wife Jacqueline Greer (they had met while he was training in Louisiana, hence the 'rebel').  The nose was white (then standard for ETO P-47s as a recognition feature, to - hopefully - distinguish them from Fw 190s).  The 'Z' on the nose was in yellow.  Aanenson died in late Dec. 2008

Good luck with your project, GRM

s-p47-aanenson.jpg

Thanks for all the positive responses, the only other photos I could find were from the Ken Burns DVD ‘War”.

I might have to do more scratching around and then get some pictures together. My plan would be to approach decal manufacturers to see if they would extend their range to include this subject. Seeing as it’s featured in a DVD they might be more willing?

Thanks for all your input.

13 hours ago, Seawinder said:

391st FS according to Wikipedia and a couple of other sites.

Sorry- thanks for the correction! That's what I get for taking the photo caption at face value. Guess I need to add to Troy Smith;s famous caveat "Never trust a photo caption without checking more than one source!" :sorry: From looking at the posted photo and examining my two AJ Press P-47 monographs and my MBI P-47 monograph, I think the Jug is either a P-47D-15 or  D-16, as  later blocks were without camouflage paint, and the earlier blocks did not have the wing stores/fuel tank pylons. (Although I did read that some of the earlier blocks could have had the wing pylons fitted as a field mod, but it took a lot of work and time installing the plumbing and wiring, so not very commonly done.) Tons of possible serial number blocks, too! (I feel for @Wafu, as I always seem to fall in love with a modeling project for which there are no decals or references!)

Mike

"Topsy" was 42-76150

bkeUlu2.jpg

yaEvPfU.jpg

Some sources give 03 August 1944 as the date of the crash, while 26 August is also given elsewhere.

Regarding "Rebel Jack", this article reports that Quentin Aanenson loaned it to Lt Hilding Roy Johnson on Chritmas day, 1944, sadly shot down that day

https://www.stripes.com/news/dig-for-wwii-remains-might-prove-bittersweet-for-archaeologist-1.148070

However, records shows that the only 366th FG P-47 missing that day was 42-29324, a bubble top. Most probably a newer "Rebel Jack" then.

Laurent

• Like 1

@silberpferd,

Laurent,

Wow! I am impressed- you are da man! The people on this website never cease to amaze me with the collective knowledge they share on history, aircraft, and modeling! From the serial you supplied, Topsy is a P-47D-20 RE, and at some point in production of the -20 block, camouflage paint was discontinued, so everything in the photo fits. Not clear what the mission markers ahead of the cockpit looked like, but most likely were yellow, as was the 'Topsy' aft of the cowl flaps. It appears that the wing pylon has been replaced at some point, as it is in bare metal. Not sure if the other one was painted or bare metal. (Because this block came from the factory with wing pylons, I'm leaning towards it being a replacement.) Note that the individual aircraft letter 'J' appears to have been painted over the national insignia, maybe due to the star and bar replacing the plain circular cocarde? A very interesting Jug!

@Wafu

Since all of the markings on this P-47 are basic, the only markings you would need to make would be the mission markers and the name. I might suggest that you could do the name using a yellow paint pen or drafting pen on a section of  decal stock painted olive drab that was the same size as the panel on which the name  was applied on the real airplane. Paint  the name on the decal, apply the decal, and then when you spray the model with the clear finish of your choice, it will be sealed! Use the cowl flaps on the model you choose for your build to gauge how tall the letters need to be. Hope this helps!

Mike

3 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

absence of D-Day markings in any form argue against a crash date in August 1944

Chuck,

Is it just me or can you see evidence of a white invasion stripe at the wingroot in the first photo Silverpferd posted above, and either overpainted or more likely removed stripes from the fuselage in the second photo?

Mike

I think I see the white IFF stripe inboard of the main landing gear, but if it were August 1944, the D-Day stripes should still have been present at least on the lower fuselage. The second photo looks to have a darker stripe forward of the star, and I think the wing blocks that part of the fuselage in the first photo, this could be evidence of a repaint. What bothers me about it being August is that not only is there no evidence of the lower fuselage D-Day stripes but the wavy OD/NG border is as though it came from the factory. Possible repaint but if so, why is the leading edge of the port wing scuffed up?

Two different reports show the crash date in the same month 20 some days apart. It may be hard to think both are wrong, but if true, there appear to some marking anomalies. 

One can see the over painted fuselage stripes on A8-J and the under wing ones are clearly there (with the wing pylon fitted on top of one, thus likely a replacement as postulated). Thus an August date seems correct.

Lack of under fuselage ones are unusual, but would not be unique.

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Sorry- thanks for the correction! That's what I get for taking the photo caption at face value. Guess I need to add to Troy Smith;s famous caveat "Never trust a photo caption without checking more than one source!" :sorry: From looking at the posted photo and examining my two AJ Press P-47 monographs and my MBI P-47 monograph, I think the Jug is either a P-47D-15 or  D-16, as  later blocks were without camouflage paint, and the earlier blocks did not have the wing stores/fuel tank pylons. (Although I did read that some of the earlier blocks could have had the wing pylons fitted as a field mod, but it took a lot of work and time installing the plumbing and wiring, so not very commonly done.) Tons of possible serial number blocks, too! (I feel for @Wafu, as I always seem to fall in love with a modeling project for which there are no decals or references!)

Mike

42-76150 is a D-15 as the serial number is the only way to be sure as like you say earlier aircraft could have the wing pylon mod done and the cut back cowl flaps which came in on the D-15 were modded on many earlier D's. I know what you mean about wanting to do subjects there's no decals for, at least with the P-47 there is plenty to choose from.

10 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

The presence of the 1943 era white IFF stripes on the nose, wings and tail as well as the absence of D-Day markings in any form argue against a crash date in August 1944

Are you looking at the pictures on a very old phone with a tiny low res screen? 😛

• Like 1

Guys, this is all starting to slot into place. There is a photo of Quentin Aanenson in a painting stood in from of an all metal bubble top P-47, maybe just maybe a replacement Rebel Jack?

I’ll also throw this out for educational thought, was Topsy and Turvey in the same font do you think? 

With regards to Rebel Jack, I’m just now missing the nose art for the starboard side, Orphan Annie, any takers for solving that?

Thanks again for all the input and help, I do plan to collate this and present a case to decal manufacturers for a sheet with both aircraft in, a common link of Cptn Quentin Aanenson would be a very nice tribute to all who flew and maintained these beasts.

Keep the info coming.

1 hour ago, Wafu said:

I’ll also throw this out for educational thought, was Topsy and Turvey in the same font do you think? 

That's entirely possible, as many times there was one person in a squadron or group that did the lettering/art for their outfit's aircraft, so the lettering would most likely be in  the same style. Don Allen, one of the 4th FG non-coms, was famous for all of the 4th FG Mustangs he did, as well as  a ground crewman named Bartigan, who did incredible murals on PTO B-24's like the famous Dragon and His tail.

Mike

<slinks away into a corner>
in my defense I still don’t see overpainted stripes on the fuselage in the first photo, but I certainly missed the stripe beneath the pylon. And yes, I’m viewing these on an older iPhone 😳