Hasegawa 1/48th F-15A Eagle 'ASAT'

Peter W

I've had this kicking around for too long now and it's a perfect fit for this group build so, if all ok, I'll come along for the ride. I've got a Tornado to finish up first but then this one will come to the top of the pile.

tI2fLi8.jpg?1

tJ1ImgM.jpg?1

The aim is to do it as 76-084 'Celestial Eagle' which successfully took down a satellite on the 13th September 1985

Pete

• Like 8

Brilliant! I couldn't afford this kit when it sat on my LMS shelf and never seen it since so will be living vicariously through your project :thumbsup:

• Like 1

WOW. :analintruder:

This will be fun to watch. 

I got the same kit in the stash, I think it was the first one I bought in 1/48 for more than 25 years ago.

Perhaps your build will inspire me to build mine. 

Good luck with your build. 

/Bosse 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

this IS an interceptor!

great project!

Was about to say an 'out of this world' subject choice but that would be an astronomically bad pun :whistle:

• Haha 2

Tornado group build all complete for me, so this one has finally got some attention.

I spent a few hours getting the Eduard etch set folded up and in place. The Line Replacement Units are just resting in place for now and will get glued in later. I read recently that Kate Winslet said that she had learned to hold her breath for 7 minutes, for the filming of  the latest Avatar movie. Impressive but anyone who has ever used tiny photo-etch on their builds will know that we wouldn't even break sweat at 7 minutes. It does add some nice detail but why do we put ourselves through it, lol. All done now though and ready for some paint.

Gw0Xohj.jpg?1

hg8qdea.jpg?1

mNUFa7i.jpg?1

0dfhCqi.jpg?1

Lz29r6T.jpg?1

zQOT3oD.jpg?1

Back soon

Pete

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on this one. I've been gluing lots of the later build parts together but managed to do a bit on the cockpit too.

I haven't gone too crazy but did feel that it was worth making the pilots oxygen hose from a bit of round plastic and fuse wire.  A little bit fiddly but It's too obvious a part to ignore. Still got to get the ejection seat painted but thought I'd show something and get the build back where I can find it in the build posts.

SSVY8SV.jpg?1

Oys93P5.jpg?1

YcJUpwZ.jpg?1

Pete

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a long overdue update. I've been beavering away without stopping for photos, so time to put that right.

Nothing much to report on the assembly of this kit. I did take a different path to assembly the front end though, to try and avoid the usual misalignment problems, and awkward clean up, around the front end. Instead of gluing the hump behind the canopy to the top fuselage, I glued it to the front section first and this makes it so much easier to align. Next it was glued to the bottom fuselage section and lastly to the top. This worked so much better and will be the way forward on future  Hasegawa Eagles, of which there are a few in the stash. Just about ready for a wash and some paint now:

ShoMTKY.jpg?1

Kgor8mv.jpg?1

A fiddly but nice piece of photoetch was carefully added to the canopy:

VgwlISk.jpg?1

Next I thought that I'd try out one of my Christmas presents. Now, whilst it does what it says on the tin, I'm a bit disappointed with the poor small details of it. The really unclear instructions rival anything that we've had to deal with in our hobby and the thread on the adjustment screw is not the same as the stud that it goes on. I haven't measured it yet, but you can pass the stud through the nut without have to screw it, it just wiggles it's way through. This makes it pretty difficult to lock the thumbwheel, which then makes it unusable for it's purpose. I have managed to find a point where it locks though, so will use it for now until I can remedy it. Anyway, wheel masks all cut up and applied and now ready for paint too:

5QXPwBa.jpg?1

VP54SfE.jpg?1

Time to put on a thick coat and go out into the spray barn (AKA garage) for some airbrush time now.

Back soon

Pete

• Like 7

Just one little picture to show that progress is being made and I'm nearly at my favourite stage, adding the decals.

A few gloss coats, in the cold garage, to add now and then I can stay in the warm for a while.

AX2xX88.jpg?1

Pretty happy so far.

Pete

• Like 4

A bit of a bigger update and getting ever closer to the finishing line. Three gloss coats went on without much fuss and then came the decals. I always try to put the main markings on first, just in case it goes wrong whilst I can still change direction. These ones came from Two Bobs, so printed by Microscale, and went on without too many problems.

About an  hour in:

YBFT1xt.jpg?1

10-11 hours of decaling later, over a few days.

n4Xazvt.jpg?1

I always think, when I'm doing a model with lots of stencils, about the time that I first went into a Hannants Air Show tent. It would have been in the late 70's early 80's and the first time that I saw Microscale decals. I remember thinking how those stencil sheets would just add so much more to any models from here on in. Now, when several hours into a session, with dodgy eyesight I wonder why I got so excited. It really is a test of our sanity, especially as you can hardly see them without looking hard 😁. May be time to sell them F-4 sheets.

Whilst building this I kept thinking that something didn't look right but couldn't put my finger on it. Then I noticed that the blade aerial on the top fuselage was missing and thought that I'd missed a step in the instructions. I checked and the aerial was shown, on the part, in the instructions so had I broken it off. I went up into the stash and pulled another F-15 out to find:

qtGRlWf.jpg?1

It's obviously a common thing with Hasegawa Eagles to lose this aerial in transit. Luckily I found this one in the bag but had to craft one up for the current build. No biggie but glad I noticed before somebody else did.

Anyway, decals on - check, new aerial on - check, gloss sealing coat on - check, Flory wash on - check and here we are:

uD0N3Av.jpg?1

and a pile of bits left to add:

VyqZ6Gj.jpg?1

bLFOly9.jpg?1

Hopefully another good day or two of modelling will see this one ready for the gallery.

Back soon

Pete

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Your Eagle is looking really smart Pete.

Great, smooth paint job and the decals have gone on a treat. The gloss coat you achieved looked like glass, can I ask what you used for your gloss.

Hi modelling minion - I use an every decreasing bottle of future for the gloss coat. Sometime, in about 4-5 models I'm going to have to find something else, so who knows what it will be like after that. I've got several other concoctions but not been brave enough to try them yet.

Pete

• Like 1

I had a great days modelling yesterday and managed to squeeze an hour in this morning too. The result is this one is done and ready for some better pictures later on.

Last one before the gallery and the only question now is 'What next?'

thApZAm.jpg?1

Pete

• Like 6