KP 1/72 SF-260 TP

This is the recent KP released 1/72 SF-260 TP. The kit is promising. However when I started building, it become apparent that it lacks the quality of the current injection mould standard. There are fit problems everywhere, some details are "soft" and lacking. You need to do some changes to certain areas as this really requires attention as some of the kit's part are unusable. There are currently no aftermarket parts to correct this but with a little effort things can look half descent. I like a bit of challenge and with this kit I wish I can cross the finish line and try my best to improve its short comings (scratchbuilding). The good side is its injection moulded and does not cost a lot compared to the resin model. I will back log my WIP's as I did this 1-2 weeks ago. So here it goes.....

First I cannot stand the look of the kit's prop spinner. To describe it, it looks like a dog chewed it and then spit it out and was then placed on the sprue for you to assemble into a propeller. So some head scratching, measurements and calculations I dig into my scraps and fired up the lathe. Here is the result....

This is manually turned and using the top slide achieved the correct spinner profile. Noticed the adjustment made to the engine cowling to correct fitting. I also opened the small square intake under the front end. 

vJqW06R.jpg

• Like 2

Some more lathe work...... fired up the Myford Super 7B PFX to turn the exhaust.

IJskAVY.jpg

Here is the result..... bang on 0.0800 of an inch

1mJCRxb.jpg

This is the completed exhaust, the final shape fine tuned with hydraulic vice and PE pliers.

uNry9VZ.jpg

eQN9gZh.jpg

Compared to the original parts.

1FgLTdW.jpg

XHdx1WG.jpg

Temporarily attached to the plane...

rypMIC0.jpg

2U21du4.jpg

rVHhhT7.jpg

t3qNzMR.jpg

Edited by Heart Failure
  • Like 3

Very impressive work so far I've ordered two of these kits from the big H to do in Irish colours, seems I should have waited for the Special Hobby kit ! Has this kit got any redeeming features ?

thanks for sharing

regards

Eamonn

44 minutes ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Very impressive work so far I've ordered two of these kits from the big H to do in Irish colours, seems I should have waited for the Special Hobby kit ! Has this kit got any redeeming features ?

thanks for sharing

regards

Eamonn

Hi Eamonn, I have compared notes with my friend who have the Special Hobby kit and it is a lot better in so many ways. Totally different tooling. However I'm doing the TP version and this is the only kit in injection mould for now. If you are doing the SF-260 piston version then SH is the kit to go. If you have the KP kit then expect some short comings although I personally think it can be addressed.

Does the Irish version uses the TP or the piston version?

Regard,

Raph

Edited by Heart Failure

48 minutes ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

thanks for sharing

regards

Eamonn

I just received the Special Hobbies SF260. Clearly from the photos here it's much better than KP kit The wing is particularly nicely moulded. Very sharp trailing edge. Nicely moulded clear canopy too. It also includes Air Corps specific antennae. However the rocket pods supplied, I believe are incorrect for the Air Corps. 

HF the Air Corps used the piston version. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I’m not sure about your exhausts... you show them lying along the fuselage bottom. The SF-260s I flew with at Air Combat USA had the exhausts exiting at an angle. 

28479190768_30713eda8b_b.jpg

40601261500_979d2308c4_b.jpg

- Bill

Hi Bill, Maybe you are confusing it with the piston SF 260 that you flew. If its not clear with you then let me show you the evidence. I'm doing the SF 260 Turbo Prop, the one you flew is not what im doing.

Here is some pictures taken from the net for discussion purpose only.  This is the SF-260 TP flown by the PAF. It is very clear that the exhaust I did was exactly what it showed. Hope this gives you some clarifications.

zEYVgwi.jpg

vW4jJ8E.jpg

pj9lE2f.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heart Failure said:

Hi Bill, Maybe you are confusing it with the piston SF 260 that you flew.... I'm doing the SF 260 Turbo Prop, the one you flew is not what I’m doing.

Thanks! That’s the difference. My bad.

- Bill

4 hours ago, billn53 said:

I’m not sure about your exhausts... you show them lying along the fuselage bottom. The SF-260s I flew with at Air Combat USA had the exhausts exiting at an angle. 

Those are non standard exhausts. Probably something to do with the smoke generators used to indicate you've shot down the 'enemy'. Did you get the kill? I'd love to have a go at that. 

21 minutes ago, noelh said:

Those are non standard exhausts. Probably something to do with the smoke generators used to indicate you've shot down the 'enemy'. Did you get the kill? I'd love to have a go at that. 

I did three sessions over the course of a week, scoring .500.

28537875658_dc208c091b.jpg

• Like 2