A Saharan Sparka – KP/Eduard MiG-21UM Mongol-B “TZ-358” Force Aérienne de la Republique du Mali 1/72

Hello!

First I want to say the model work and finish is absolutely first class. There is something purposeful in the MiG-21 doubles. They were lighter than fighter versions with the similar class of thrust from engine so the performance was there, too (at least BIS&UM)

"For any MiG-21 there is a need for the speed brakes to be open to varying degrees."

Here I disagree. I was trainee at Valmet which overhauled Finnish Air Force MiG-21BISes. The front speed brakes open only if someone has deliberately released hydraulic pressure from them using T-handle behind a hatch. Even then one had to pry the speed brake open. Accuracywise there is no need to open MiG-21 airbrakes if you don't want to for some reason. 

For the ventral air brake I have more hazy memory as I worked almost exclusively on the Finnish reconnaissance version which had it removed. But I would say the same for that, too. No need to open the air brakes.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio

Hi,

A lovely model and an interesting conversion!

I have been thinking to do the same but with a bit different path: Using Eduard wing and rear fuselage with UM nose and spine. Maybe I have still consider the alternatives?

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi, Martin!

Congratulations on this superb Mongol. And thank you for the detailed explanation about the conversion process.

I tried to build a Mali Air Force MiG-21 MF-75 in 2 x grey/2 x green but I gave up because I couldn't get the exact colors. I wasn't convinced by the shades I got. Finally, I’m building a Bulgarian subject.

I also have in mind to build an UM. Definively, yours will be a very good reference for me. I have KP UM and Eduard MF / PFM kits. Could you tell us the Aires and Pavla references you have used?  Pavla references is C72029 (MiG-21 UM + vacu canopy)? What about the Aires and air intake references?

As I said, many thanks for sharing this great work!

Miguel

11 hours ago, Kari Lumppio said:

"For any MiG-21 there is a need for the speed brakes to be open to varying degrees."

Here I disagree.

Thank you, Kari. I bow to your better knowledge. However, many images of MiG-21s at rest show brakes drooped, even if only a small amount. Whatever the reason it clearly was a feature. 

Many thanks too, Ryan @Ryan Hothersall

3 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

A lovely model and an interesting conversion!

Thank you AC :)

2 hours ago, Mihajlo said:

Hi, Martin!

Congratulations on this superb Mongol. And thank you for the detailed explanation about the conversion process.

I tried to build a Mali Air Force MiG-21 MF-75 in 2 x grey/2 x green but I gave up because I couldn't get the exact colors. I wasn't convinced by the shades I got. Finally, I’m building a Bulgarian subject.

I also have in mind to build an UM. Definively, yours will be a very good reference for me. I have KP UM and Eduard MF / PFM kits. Could you tell us the Aires and Pavla references you have used?  Pavla references is C72029 (MiG-21 UM + vacu canopy)? What about the Aires and air intake references?

As I said, many thanks for sharing this great work!

Miguel

Thanks a million Miguel. I will find the reference numbers for you. If I can help you with your build just ask - PM me or use the email address in my profile.

Martin

On 12/4/2020 at 9:33 PM, Mihajlo said:

Hola Miguel! @Mihajlo

These were:

Quickboost QB72 580 Air Scoops for the MF

Peewit M72153 Paint mask for MiG-21UM

Quickboost QB72 012 Nose intake and cone for the MiG-21F-13

Res-Im 7231 Wheels for the later MiGs

Pavla C72029 Cockpit set for the MiG-21UM

I do have a Master pitot set AM-72-047 but I didnt use it after losing a couple of fins to the hoover!

I hope this helps!

Martin

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hola Miguel! @Mihajlo

These were:

Quickboost QB72 580 Air Scoops for the MF

Peewit M72153 Paint mask for MiG-21UM

Quickboost QB72 012 Nose intake and cone for the MiG-21F-13

Res-Im 7231 Wheels for the later MiGs

Pavla C72029 Cockpit set for the MiG-21UM

I do have a Master pitot set AM-72-047 but I didnt use it after losing a couple of fins to the hoover!

I hope this helps!

Martin

Hi, Martin!

Many many thanks for the references. I will gather all aftermarkets you used. I can not wait until Eduard or other manufacturer decide to produce a Mongol...

He hoover... one of the worst enemies of modelers ... along with the black hole that every modeler has in their modeling room... 😉

I hope to do my Mongol half as well as yours 😉

Once again, thank you 👌👌👌

Cheers!

Miguel

13 hours ago, jefropas said:

That sir is an excellent conversion!!!

Jeff

Thanks a lot, Jeff.

Miguel @Mihajlo, don’t hold you breathe for an Eduard Mongol. I’ve been asking them for a while and it is not on their radar at all. Oddly, the MiG-21bis isn’t either! It doesn’t make sense to me :(. 

I’m sure you’ll be making the twin sister of mine ;). Good luck!

Martin