Winsor & Newton Matt UV Varnish Canopy issue

Tramline222

I’m just about to complete my first model following my return to it for 30 years - I’ve learnt so much from this website, YouTube etc and it’s been a really enjoyable experience up to now, but my first coat of Winsor and Newton Matt UV Varnish has caused the previous clear canopy to become opaque. It was originally dipped in Lakeland’s Quickshine and then masked and painted - it was looking really good until the spraying of the Matt varnish coat.   I’m turning to more experienced modellers - can the canopy be saved?

Any advice would be gratefully received...

50 minutes ago, Tramline222 said:

but my first coat of Winsor and Newton Matt UV Varnish has caused the previous clear canopy to become opaque. It was originally dipped in Lakeland’s Quickshine and then masked and painted - it was looking really good until the spraying of the Matt varnish coat.  

why would you spray a matt finish on a clear canopy?  They are not matt..  Quickshine is used as it is a self levelling acrylic varnish, fills in small imperfections and self levels to give a smooth shiny surface.

50 minutes ago, Tramline222 said:

I’m turning to more experienced modellers - can the canopy be saved?

You need to give more detail. Is the canopy fixed on, it can be removed easily, you just want to strip and start again.  You might find another coat of Quickshine will restore the clarity, if it's opaque, then not much too lose.

Photos or more specfics might get a better answer

HTH

1 minute ago, Troy Smith said:

why would you spray a matt finish on a clear canopy?  They are not matt..  Quickshine is used as it is a self levelling acrylic varnish, fills in small imperfections and self levels to give a smooth shiny surface.

You need to give more detail. Is the canopy fixed on, it can be removed easily, you just want to strip and start again.  You might find another coat of Quickshine will restore the clarity, if it's opaque, then not much too lose.

Photos or more specfics might get a better answer

HTH

Hi Troy,  thanks for replying.  I was giving the model a final matt varnish coat, I assumed naively that it would dry clear and had unmasked the canopy - again this is due to my lack of knowledge since returning to the fold.  The canopy is fixed, but I will try another coat of Quickshine to see if that redeems my error, if not I'll look to removing the canopy and stripping it back to square one.    Would IPA be the best medium to strip the canopy back?

Many thanks for your advice

17 minutes ago, Tramline222 said:

I was giving the model a final matt varnish coat, I assumed naively that it would dry clear and had unmasked the canopy - again this is due to my lack of knowledge since returning to the fold. 

it should dry clear, but, again, canopies are shiny, not matt.

The canopy is fixed, but I will try another coat of Quickshine to see if that redeems my error,

it may just act as i described, self level glossy finish.  I've seen other members have problems with matt coats resolved by reglossing

if not I'll look to removing the canopy and stripping it back to square one.    Would IPA be the best medium to strip the canopy back?

Possibly.   I'd suggest proceeding with caution,  and if you can, use some scrap to test out. 

So, maybe worth getting a spare canopy, or just some clear plastic,  old CD case perhaps, quikshine and W&N UV,  and seeing if you can recreate the fogging, and if it strips off OK with IPA

Or if another coat of Quickshine will restore the clarity/gloss... 

Just way to not accidentally cause damage to what sounds like a mostly complete model. 

the classic Kleer could be stripped with Windex, or some kind of window cleaner with ammonia,  as Quickshine is for floor, see what the instructions say for removing it from floors.

HTH

Matt/flat varnishes have a flattening agent in them which is actually white. Hence why a heavy flat coat will give a white-ish appearance over painted surfaces. They don't dry crystal clear. 

If the canopy is fixed with a very mild adhesive (such as PVA or maybe Contacta Clear) you should be able to remove it with little to no damage to the fuselage paint. Followed by a dip in the appropriate solution to remove everything from the canopy.