Request help in identifying the origin of this Britannia model

wallyinoz

50667626637_2ad45d6a61_h.jpg20201201_132316 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr

50667546766_73e399c5f6_h.jpg20201201_132310 by wallycacsabre, on Flickr

Hi chaps, I have come across this very nice little resin / plastic model molded in one piece. it measures about 20.5 cm wingspan which makes it around 1/200 scale, it has badly faded / worn BOAC markings and a rather large hole for the size of the model where it would have taken a stand, there is no manufactures mark or mark of the kind...anyone have any idea where this would have come from?

I'd say it is too small to have found much use in a travel agent setting.  More likely sold as a memento, or handed out to office managers and so forth in places that were likely to book lots of travel, to keep BOAC at the front of their minds.

3 hours ago, Britman said:

I'm going for a promotional product. It looks like something we modellers would have accepted with glee thirty or so years ago.

Keith

I tend to agree I wonder who made them and who was handing them out. I am an a quandary..Do I leave it as is, restore it with new BOAC livery or do I scale down my home made 1/72 Monarch decals that I designed for my AVF vacuform

• Like 1

It sure as heck ain't no Mach 2 kit, as what you are holding in your hand actually resembles a Britannia! (It was either going to be me or @corsaircorp- it had to be said!) :giggle:

Mike

(BTW, this social distancing in the Naughty Corner is pants! But the mask does come in handy when airbrushing!)

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

It sure as heck ain't no Mach 2 kit, as what you are holding in your hand actually resembles a Britannia! (It was either going to be me or @corsaircorp- it had to be said!) :giggle:

Mike

(BTW, this social distancing in the Naughty Corner is pants! But the mask does come in handy when airbrushing!)

Not a fonderie miniature kit either !!

What social distancing or mask on Venus ?? 

No virus can survive... In fact we only survive thanks to the rocket fuel !! :rofl2:

I'll go for a promotional model too...

C'm'on Mike look what I receive from my old today !!

IMG_20201202_153946

Promotional too :cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

The model looks like a small promo commissioned by Bristol Aviation perhaps or maybe by the airline.

Travel agents promos tended to be much bigger. I can remember many years ago repairing and making an RAF VC10 from a travel agents promo as a commission that was quite a big model

I have a feeling that Frog may have kitted a Britannia way back in the sixties. Do not know what scale but probably bigger than the promo model featured.

• 5 months later...

We had one of these, albeit with the blue tail BOAC livery. My Dad worked for the Bristol Aeroplane Co at Filton and I'm pretty sure that's where it came from. These appear on eBay from time to time, by the way.

Edited by ViscountMpika