Hi all,

My local GW in Wellington was giving away witch elves (or aelves if you like) at the start of the month for a "paint club" activity. I built mine ASAP and then put off painting her until the last week. It turns out I missed the deadline for handing in because I didn't know when it was, but I did get her finished off at 11.36pm on November the 30th.

50666269311_2ff0f5a627_b.jpg

I think I was a bit embarrassed by all the skin and that put me off starting to be honest, but having got some basic colours on there I started enjoying myself and the whole thing took a pleasant week of evenings.

50666346507_ce780fa86e_b.jpg

I left the hair separate which made access a lot easier, but otherwise assembled and painted everything in one go including the base. There was some fiddly brush work required to reach the various areas occluded by the arms and legs, but it wasn't too bad. 

50666346212_c4b34352ec_b.jpg

I stuck to a cold palette and made her skin very pale (Pallid Wych Flesh!) shaded with red and turqoise. Even the slightly warm colours like the reds have purple in the shadows to cool them down. The base follows on from that and I considered adding snow but thought I wanted the skin and hair to be the lightest things.

50666346952_32ef2805b3_b.jpg

Unusually for me, I painted the face really early on because I was scared of getting it wrong. It's taken a while and I think there's still too much definition on the right cheek, and the eyes are a bit wide and surprised-looking, but mostly it works. The '80s make-up was fun but I might leave that off next time as an interim version with just skin shading made her look really strung out and a bit scarier.

She's painted with a relatively small selection of colours - mostly white primer with thin contrast paints over the top, Pallid Wych Flesh and white ink for highlighting and blending the skin, and lots of glazes of very thin contrast to shade it. The metals are mostly GW "fancy" metals which are a bit brighter and finer than their older colours. I admit I rushed those a bit to finish in time - painting metallics at night is hard because the artificial light makes them look better than they do in a light box. I need to get a turntable to show the highlights moving around really :)

I have built the Underworlds warband for the Daughters of Khaine (which has a half-snake Melusai, among other things) so I'll have to see about repeating this scheme across those at some point.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

A belated thanks! The best way to go is to pick something you like the look of that's not too complicated, and give it a go. Uniformed infantry are quite good to paint as you can drybrush most of the highlights and it'll look like cloth. Then just pick out the face and weapons. Don't worry about eyes, a wash to darken the crevices is fine and spend the effort on the base instead.

Once you've got the basics down and are getting a feel for brush control you can get more into details and things, but it's definitely not required!

Here's one of my earliest efforts. All dry-brushed apart from the handle and base I think, and that's genuine dyed sawdust standing in for grass :)

20251593058_a3825b606b_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1