So glad its over! Frog Lysander

Thanks, Its a bit of a mess Steve, no amount of plastic card and filler could hide the size issues with parts fit. Wings are held internally with staples, wheel spats and wing supports relocated and reshaped, canopy was so much wider than body. Of course being so old the decals were powder almost too, roundels replaced.

I dont airbrush, never mastered it, so brush painted over all that filler and card.painting guide on the header card didnt mention colours, and were so small, that I took some liberties.

It was my first try at thinned paint into surface lines, but it didnt show well, so used a fine point marker, also on engine slats, as they were invisible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Old_Scopie said:

Thanks, Its a bit of a mess Steve, no amount of plastic card and filler could hide the size issues with parts fit. Wings are held internally with staples, wheel spats and wing supports relocated and reshaped, canopy was so much wider than body. Of course being so old the decals were powder almost too, roundels replaced.

I'd have never picked it looking at it so well done, I've an Amt, relabelled Frog I think, one to do but without any clear bits so I'm going to need to adapt/make a vac canopy & somehow fasten the wing stubs to an internal frame which I'm going to need to build too. :( if the Dora wings was less spendy & without some of the issues it seems to have, I'd bin mine & go for that but seeing your's has given me hope. :) 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

For those that mentioned having one in their stash, a few hopefully more useful comments on the build. I spent a lot of time painting the interior, pilots, console etc, thinking a lot would show with that huge greenhouse canopy, but the clear part is very blurry, so it just adds colour. Do some test fitting of fuselage halfs with canopy before assembly. Also, the ammo shelves in the rear above the machine gun foul the canopy, stop it from sitting down squarely, so need thinning substantially before fitting.

The wings don't have much surface to grip in the canopy, i drilled and stapled them from the underside. The wing struts are too long to find locating holes in the wing, and the wheel spat end does not sit well and needs reshaping. The engine and cowling go together nicely, but the prop shaft hole needs widening, and the shaft is too short. I used a length of round sprue, and made a plastic washer to hold it, made it much easier to fit.

The poor mating surface of the wheel spats made for a lot of reshaping and filler. The fuselage slots they go into are useless, and the surrounding burr makes it worse, I cut them down, and just cut to fit amd filled.

Prop spinner was a bit deformed, needed filler and rescribing the ring around it.

Frog provided two passengers to stand by the plane, they are spindley and way out of scale to the pilots.

Good points? The rear wings fitted well, as did tail wheel, the main wheels are ok, but all but hidden. Engine detail is sufficient, interior build went ok, apart from shelves fouling canopy. Remarkably there was little flash or sink marks for a kit this old, and only a few areas where mould was short shot. One area that was short shot was the bombs for the stub wings, most had deformed or no fins.

I read some reviews of the various Lysander kits before buying this, and many said this was the best of the bunch (pre Dora kit although I hear that one is a swine to build), hate to think how bad the others were.

Edited by Old_Scopie
  • Thanks 1

For those that mentioned having one in their stash, a few hopefully more useful comments on the build. I spent a lot of time painting the interior, pilots, console etc, thinking a lot would show with that huge greenhouse canopy, but the clear part is very blurry, so it just adds colour. Do some test fitting of fuselage halfs with canopy before assembly. Also, the ammo shelves in the rear above the machine gun foul the canopy, stop it from sitting down squarely, so need thinning substantially before fitting.

The wings don't have much surface to grip in the canopy, i drilled and stapled them from the underside. The wing struts are too long to find locating holes in the wing, and the wheel spat end does not sit well and needs reshaping. The engine and cowling go together nicely, but the prop shaft hole needs widening, and the shaft is too short. I used a length of round sprue, and made a plastic washer to hold it, made it much easier to fit.

The poor mating surface of the wheel spats made for a lot of reshaping and filler. The fuselage slots they go into are useless, and the surrounding burr makes it worse, I cut them down, and just cut to fit amd filled.

Prop spinner was a bit deformed, needed filler and rescribing the ring around it.

Frog provded two passengers to stand by the plane, they are spindley and way out of scale to thw pilots.

Good points? The rear wings fitted well, as did tail wheel, the main wheels are ok, but all but hidden. Engine detail is sufficient, interior build went ok, apart from shelves fouling canopy. Remarkably there was little flash or sink marks for a kit this old, and only a few areas where mould was short shot. 

I read some reviews of the various Lysander kits before buying this, and many said this was the best of the bunch (pre Dora kit although I hear that one is a swine to build), hate to think how bad the others were.

14 minutes ago, Old_Scopie said:

So as a newbie to britmodeller, where do people put their pictures for uploading from url? It doesnt seem possible to copy them straight from your tablet or drive.

I use village.photos, always reliable and it is free.

regards, adey

On 12/1/2020 at 5:26 PM, Old_Scopie said:

So as a newbie to britmodeller, where do people put their pictures for uploading from url? It doesnt seem possible to copy them straight from your tablet or drive.

There are several topics covering this in the FAQ part of the site. Hope that points you in the right direction.

Q

Came in expecting a French Lysander..

(jk) ;)

Looks great. I would not dare built one of those old ones but my dad talks about Frogs "all the time". I even have one of his old catalogues from them somewhere..