What intake color of this U-2C do you see?

Rob de Bie

Thanks all for your posts, with some interesting links! Four 'votes' for zinc chromate then 🙂

I made a second version of the photo with increased color saturation. And I still see yellow, whereas the canopy cover remains white. But if you actually sample the intake area, it's brown. Hmm..

Also, I hadn't noticed the sweet Lockheed logo so far. It's the first time I've seen that on a U-2.

u2-61.jpg

Rob

There is a logic to plain zinc chromate as well - why top-coat paint an intake when all it does is add weight to what is designed as a very light airframe. That's 5 votes you have there now, Rob!

15 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It's yellow in deep shadow. What do you think yellow in deep shadow / near darkness looks like?

It was mostly my amazement how the eye sees yellow when the real colour is brown. And I measured the colour as much forward in the intake as possible, where it was the lightest.

Rob

7 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

It was mostly my amazement how the eye sees yellow when the real colour is brown. And I measured the colour as much forward in the intake as possible, where it was the lightest.

Rob

I was stationed at Beale AFB and got up close and personal with the U-2Rs and TR-1As, as they were then known, on a regular basis.  The intakes and E-bay (not the web site!) were definitely done in zinc-chromate yellow.  If you believe it is otherwise, please come up with a TO reference that states it is a brown.

Later,

Dave

5 hours ago, e8n2 said:

I was stationed at Beale AFB and got up close and personal with the U-2Rs and TR-1As, as they were then known, on a regular basis.  The intakes and E-bay (not the web site!) were definitely done in zinc-chromate yellow.  If you believe it is otherwise, please come up with a TO reference that states it is a brown.

Ah, no, misunderstanding! When I wrote 'the real color is brown' I meant the sampled color in the JPG! I was amazed that the eye still 'sees' a yellow.

Rob

18 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Ah, no, misunderstanding! When I wrote 'the real color is brown' I meant the sampled color in the JPG! I was amazed that the eye still 'sees' a yellow.

Rob

The eyes can play all kinds of tricks on you.  As others have mentioned, there are a lot of variables, especially when you are looking at something on your monitor.  Remember that thing going around about a year or two ago as to what color was the woman's dress in the picture?  I could have sworn it was white and then it turns out to be black or some other dark color.  Have a good day, or evening, whatever it is where you are at when you read this!

Later,

Dave