HMS Enterprise a study in weathering

dolphin38

Here are some pictures of HMS Enterprise leaving Portsmouth Harbour back in October showing the effects of a 15 month deployment overseas, when the pictures were taken she was on her way unsurprisingly to go into refit.

50523419636_ca43e69c65_6k.jpgHMS Enterprise by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

50523593482_ee40017bed_5k.jpgHMS Enterprise by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

50523417811_5c0d10984d_5k.jpgHMS Enterprise by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

50522696028_d65b89b30a_5k.jpgHMS Enterprise Funnel Emblem by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Bloomin’ ‘eck.  I wonder whether the XO can show his face in public?

Perhaps he's a modeller, trying different weathering techniques? 🤣

Dave

• Haha 5

Looks in a bit of a sorry state, but some superb detail photos for anyone modelling such a ship (would have to be scratch I think?) and a great reference for general (severe) weathering of a modern surface vessel.

Terry

To be honest, I'm not surprised.  The amount of paint that ships are allowed to carry now is a tiny percentage of what we were used to in 1980s and any painting other than absolutely essential ship's husbandry while deployed is frowned upon, the Navy referring to pay contractors to do the job instead.  Unfortunately, although their quality can be excellent, they can also be, shall we say, less than excellent...

By way of example of the quality of some of those contractors, here is a true story.

HMS GLASGOW had recently come out of refit in Devonport and was 2-3 weeks into post refit trials.  We came back into Devonport for a few days for defect rectification and one of the defects was to repaint the flight deck because the camrex that had been applied only about 3-4 months earlier while in the covered dock was starting to lift.  We'd just had colours and both watches and because it was pouring with rain, I headed into the hanger and was chatting to someone about the days activities when one of the contractors arrived over the brow.  He started to swing a small cylindrical device around his head on a length of cordage, and curious, I went out to ask him what he was doing.  "Testing the humidity mate", was his reply, despite the fact that it was pouring with rain.  I pointed this out to him and his response was "doesn't matter, if this says its dry enough to paint, we can paint".  And lo and behold, his humidity meter said it was okay to paint so paint they did.  Needless to say, we came back in about 3 months later looking not dissimilar to ENTERPRISE above and this time the whole of the upperdeck was redone (and a fair bit of the ships side and upperworks)!

• Like 2

Nice photos showing a wealth of detail besides the rust.

I am reminded of a visit to Cherbourg on HMS Antrim prior to going into an 18-month refit in 1978. Despite the forthcoming refit, the embarked Admiral insisted that the starboard side was freshly painted to give a good impression to the French. The day before we entered Cherbourg, the poor seamen were over the side in freezing weather painting away. Needless to say, there were more than a few choice words aimed at the Admiral, especially when we ended up going alongside in a different location to that planned and with our unpainted side facing the dockside!

Dave

• Like 2