A journey of optimism. Or utter foolishness. Three down, one to go!!

On 8/19/2022 at 7:26 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looking at the model, in some pictures it looks like the opening in the front of the cowling is very large - it might be worth doing some measuring of cowling inner opening vs outer diameter on both the model and photos of the real thing, and slipping in a ring of plastic strip if the kit one needs beefing up? Pictures like this one suggest there more of a lip to the cowling. It could on the other hand be a trick of the light in your photos, but I thought I’d mention it before you get the propellers on. I have an Airfix Blenheim (old one) that has not enough cowling lip, and it bugs me every time I look at it…

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I think you are right, the cowling on the kit does look too small in comparison to the photos of the real thing - you can see too much engine on the model.  Not quite sure how I can fix that at this stage, may be with a bit of toning down of the cylinders to make them slightly less visible (and more realistic).  But comparing the Harrow and the Welly engines (both Bristol Pegasus but different marks) the Welly nacelle does have a smaller opening and a larger front cowl.

52318958168_6a5512e863_b.jpg

But with the Harrow and Welly getting towards the final straight……

52319072170_c4f01a2ba4_b.jpg

52317829752_1254f143f9_b.jpg

…… time for some work on the O/400.  

Does anyone have any ideas what the interior colour of a military bomber should be?  Airfix suggests olive drab, but I’m not convinced they would have gone to the lengths of painting the interior in WW1 and all the pictures I can find, are, of course, B&W.  

For now I’ve gone for a natural-ish linen colour, which to my eye, looks reasonable.  

52318600881_d1abd9af02_b.jpg

Also been painting wood, but I may have gone a bit dark.  Again, not sure what type of wood, would have been used in construction, it maybe a pale pine or a medium oak, or a dark mahogany (latter a bit unlikely, I guess), but mine is quite brown, for now. A bit of a dark wash under the floorboards and I think that’s done.

52319087629_4467c10a18_b.jpg

Any suggestions greatly welcomed 

• Like 7

CDL is good. Shade of wooden floor depends on degree of tramping about by the crew. I'd say yours is okay. Longerons and other framework timber more likely a medium shade of reddish brown. Unless I have a photo to the contrary I use something like Humbrol sand, and overcoat it with something translucent and yellow/orange until I'm happy with it. A few minutes browsing the Wingnut Wings site pays dividends. Apart from downloadable manuals for all their kits they still have photos of real aircraft up, and some of those are reproductions from the Vintage Aviator stable. Normally I'd not recommend a repro as evisence of colour, but in these cases they followed original construction and finishing methods, and unless overpainted (like metal tubework on any Fokker) will look almost certainly  as the originals did. Ash and spruce were commonly used IIRC (the sort of thing you think you know until you come to type it, so don't just trust my memory).

Paul.

• Thanks 1

PS, you may want to add additional cross bracing - there's some all over the place, including diagonals crossed over the fuselage interior. Tape the panels together so you can peek in and figure out what's worth doing. And an addendum to your colour question, the nose area is plywood so I'd repaint that bit.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

CDL is good. Shade of wooden floor depends on degree of tramping about by the crew. I'd say yours is okay. Longerons and other framework timber more likely a medium shade of reddish brown. Unless I have a photo to the contrary I use something like Humbrol sand, and overcoat it with something translucent and yellow/orange until I'm happy with it. A few minutes browsing the Wingnut Wings site pays dividends. Apart from downloadable manuals for all their kits they still have photos of real aircraft up, and some of those are reproductions from the Vintage Aviator stable. Normally I'd not recommend a repro as evisence of colour, but in these cases they followed original construction and finishing methods, and unless overpainted (like metal tubework on any Fokker) will look almost certainly  as the originals did. Ash and spruce were commonly used IIRC (the sort of thing you think you know until you come to type it, so don't just trust my memory).

Paul.

Thanks for the tips Paul. I’ve just had a look at the Wingnut Wings website to see a great resource of photos.  A quick look at some of the WW1 aircraft (albeit fighters not bombers) show the colours I’ve picked as a reasonable starting point 😇

Thanks for the tip on the cockpit areas being plywood, I was wondering about the bomb bay areas too as I assume the plywood added a bit of strength to the construction.  I might add some additional framework to the fuselage, but only to keep the model square, nothing is going to be seen in there so it’ll be structural not realistic.

• Like 2

If I remember right it is plywood. I did a bit of research on my build.

Your colours do seem to match what I did.

35785338096_e07a7bd9bd_b.jpg

I did keep the struts and flooring a little lighter but the linen seems the same. 
Have a look at the WIP as I remember there being something about the bomb bay section too.  😇

Glad this one is back on its feet again. 🤩

Johnny.

• Like 2

The 0/400 is looking great and the colours look good to me. Do you have any thoughts yet on how you are going to deal with the wings?

Ian

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 8:29 AM, Roland Pulfrew said:

…… time for some work on the O/400. 

Does anyone have any ideas what the interior colour of a military bomber should be?  Airfix suggests olive drab, but I’m not convinced they would have gone to the lengths of painting the interior in WW1 and all the pictures I can find, are, of course, B&W. 

For now I’ve gone for a natural-ish linen colour, which to my eye, looks reasonable. 

Also been painting wood, but I may have gone a bit dark.  Again, not sure what type of wood, would have been used in construction, it maybe a pale pine or a medium oak, or a dark mahogany (latter a bit unlikely, I guess), but mine is quite brown, for now. A bit of a dark wash under the floorboards and I think that’s done.

Any suggestions greatly welcomed 

Spotted at Stow Maries recently, may be of some help?

52276128856_15a92ffb0c_c.jpg

Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome by Mike, on Flickr

52276391984_6b510d7f88_c.jpg

Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

If I remember right it is plywood. I did a bit of research on my build.

Your colours do seem to match what I did.

I did keep the struts and flooring a little lighter but the linen seems the same. 
Have a look at the WIP as I remember there being something about the bomb bay section too.  😇

Glad this one is back on its feet again. 🤩

Johnny.

Plywood is usually right for panels like the nose area on this one, and also large sections of DH4 fuselage, and similar (as well as entire fuselages for German aircraft like Albatrosses). 

That's a nice job - I bet you were pleased when you found out how much was invisible later (been there, done that).

Paul.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

May be of some help?  You’re not kidding, that’s an excellent bit of help!  Thank you

Even just the cockpit section is impressive, bravo to those invloved! I remembered I hadn't uploaded the details -

52324342361_cfa11c3145_c.jpg

The Paralyser Group by Mike, on Flickr

Look forward to following your progress Roland 👍

• Like 3

With @Quiet Mike’s excellent photos from Stow Maries to hand (thank you) I’ve changed a few of the colours and made some progress on the 0/400.   I think I’m at the stage where four hands are needed! 

52324072187_1c72633e7c_b.jpg

Quite pleased with how the plywood areas look, but could really do with knowing whether the upper gunner’s position was similarly reinforced if anyone knows.

52325195243_89e1d6bff7_b.jpg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

but could really do with knowing whether the upper gunner’s position was similarly reinforced if anyone knows.

I don’t think it was. I would have checked at the time. Your painting is superb. 👏👏👏

Johnny

• Thanks 1

This morning I think I made an important step forward with the realisation that both the Harrow and Wimpy now just need decals and a few aerials, so it was out with the Klear for a gloss coat and no more progress for the next 24 hours or so whilst this sets!  

52328595526_78f22a200e_b.jpg

Slightly concerned its back to work next week and these still might not be finished!!

• Like 6

Definitely on the final straight with the Harrow.  Lumpy bits and aerials now added. Decals all now on, but nearly had a disaster.  I probably should have let the Klear set for another day before using MicroSol and Set on it.  First couple of decals nearly stuck straight to the softened Klear and I almost had a disaster in moving them

52331621906_c9599e9f18_b.jpg

Still, lesson learned and I transferred all the rest from backing paper almost straight into position.  I have to say the decals are all lovely and have softened and settled to the body really nicely, sucking themselves down into the panel lines. 

52331858768_2daabecd6b_b.jpg

Final stage now in sight for this one.  Just the props, a coat of clear matt varnish, the removal of my nemesis (the taped up transparencies 🤞🏻) and a bit of light weathering and the first of the Journey of Optimism will be complete!!

52331858588_36483033ea_b.jpg

52331621901_0c2bb56df8_b.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks to the dog wanting his breakfast (at 6 AM!  On a Sunday!! 🤦🏻‍♂️) I decided to crack on with the Harrow.  Matt varnish sprayed.  Then my nemesis moment - unmasking the masked transparencies.  

52333160878_2f4d2a911e_b.jpg

Didn’t turn out too bad, just a little tidying up required.

52333349765_9566f72f18_b.jpg

Then it was on with the propellers and a little application of some Flory modelling wash to add a bit of depth and hey presto, one down and three to go!!

52333160883_5c074b9345_b.jpg

May just need to wipe a little more of the wash off, perhaps a little too obvious in this view.

52333220159_4360f5df87_b.jpg

52333349885_e42a7fa109_b.jpg

52333220119_f096454ab7_b.jpg

52332926996_2503cc8f00_b.jpg

Just noticed I’ve missed a bit of wash that needs cleaning up on the port rudder, but once that’s done I declare this one complete.

It’s been a long time in the construction, but I have enjoyed building this aircraft, one I knew very little about when I started.  The Valom kit has a few foibles, but it builds into a good representation of the aircraft.  The shape and fit of parts is good (stand fast the cockpit window which needed a little more work for a seamless fit).  The undercarriage is both surprisingly strong, but also fragile, so perhaps the sanded cocktail sticks or wire and tube might have been a good idea, but it seems ok for now.  Time to finish No 2.

• Like 11

Damn!  Whilst researching a completely different subject, I came across the Montex Mask website and....... they do masks for the Valom HP Harrow glazing!  :doh:  Why didn't I think about looking there earlier??  They also do a set for the Wellington :rage: Unfortunately, they don't do one for the B-29/Washington that is No 4 in this set of builds.  :boom:

• Haha 1

Tonight I ‘ave mainly being decalling. Into the final straight with the Welly. Aerials on, decals on (although some may have to come off again) and now waiting to see how the Sol/Set works on them.

52340509907_a69a860574_b.jpg

52341771159_ba378d7aac_b.jpg

52341469736_6b1f1f892b_b.jpg

Annoyingly, the wing roundels seem to have suffered from exposure to heat/light/cold/dark/something and have fractured.  They aren’t settling at all well where they have fractured

52341505191_9a0fe32b20_b.jpg

52340545792_40025c4333_b.jpg

If they don’t settle, I may have to add some roundel masks to my order for the B-29 transparency mask. Anyone got any top tips on spraying roundels and what the best paint/colour to use?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

For roundels I treated myself to a DSPIAE circle cutter and a roll of 50mm masking tape. I do also have some kabuki tape which works well but is a whole lot dearer than the masking tape.

12-F1-CAA5-E16-F-47-D5-9-DFB-DC8-EA0172-

And I’m now using it for the second time for the rounders on my F100. And by around the fourth project it will have paid for itself vs precut masks.

03452842-6-C64-4881-8-DCE-AB29-F5-D91-FA

For WW1/WW2 vintage RAF roundels I just use Tamiya X4 and X7. Inter war and post war roundels are both different shades, hope that helps. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

Tonight I ‘ave mainly being decalling. Into the final straight with the Welly. Aerials on, decals on (although some may have to come off again) and now waiting to see how the Sol/Set works on them.

52340509907_a69a860574_b.jpg

52341771159_ba378d7aac_b.jpg

52341469736_6b1f1f892b_b.jpg

Annoyingly, the wing roundels seem to have suffered from exposure to heat/light/cold/dark/something and have fractured.  They aren’t settling at all well where they have fractured

52341505191_9a0fe32b20_b.jpg

52340545792_40025c4333_b.jpg

If they don’t settle, I may have to add some roundel masks to my order for the B-29 transparency mask. Anyone got any top tips on spraying roundels and what the best paint/colour to use?

I have used a little bit of another roundel decal in the past. Works a treat. If not standard Tamiya blue works well if I remember correctly.  Xf-8. Might need to do a bit of a mix. 

Johnny

Great progress by the way.

• Thanks 1