Airfix Buccaneer S. Mk. 2

David H

21 hours ago, David H said:

Now having said that, i still like to mix Future 50-50 with water, and then tint it with Tamiya flat black. I slop this all over my gloss white landing gear struts, gear doors, weapons pylons, etc. You can see it in action on the Buccaneer undercarriage. It also shows up well on my Tomcat builds (yeah all 3 of them LOL).

We agree again! I have several bottles made up with Future washes tinted with a variety of colours, although the black one get most of the use. I follow Roy Sutherland's recipe, but I think that can be varied considerably and still get good results.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Another update from RNAS Fluffy Bunny...

There was no way i was going to be able to remove the Total Air Temperature (TAT) and Pitot probes from the sprue AND clean them up acceptably without destroying them.

So, i made new ones from scratch, using some Plastruct .015 diameter rod and two different witdhs of Evergreen .015 strip. I made three sets, just in case of accidents. The parts are held down on a piece of waxed paper while the liquid cement sets up.

IMG_3438

These were carefully trimmed to proper length and installed with MiG acrylic glue again. After a harrowing overnite wondering if the glue was gonna set up, i was pleasantly surprised...

IMG_3439

Once they were securely anchored i just slopped some of the Future/Water/Tamiya Flat Black wash on them.

IMG_3441

And in a fit of optimism, i finished and mounted the bombs...

IMG_3440

i think the ejection seats will be next...

Fly Navy!!

-d-

Edited by David H
  • Like 17

16 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nicely done!  I'd never used waxed paper before to prevent unchecked capillary action from the liquid cement.  It obviously worked well, and I should try it m'self.  

i *think* i got the idea from Roy Sutherland.

• Like 1

Nice work with the replacement probes. I've got two (fuel dump outlets maybe?) to redo on the Connie's trailing edges (for the Unarmed GB) and a dozen others to place on the fuselage.... I've the shakes already.

16 hours ago, PattheCat said:

Nice work with the replacement probes. I've got two (fuel dump outlets maybe?) to redo on the Connie's trailing edges (for the Unarmed GB) and a dozen others to place on the fuselage.... I've the shakes already.

I hate doing small parts like this.... all i can say it i get the shakes too, and if you use a white glue, you can recover if you screw up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update from the Admiralty.....

Nothing has gone wrong. I was just on an abbreviated 4 day down cycle and i only managed to get the intake covers done.

They turned out to be more complicated than i was expecting. So far, 7 pieces each. I still need to put a metal data plate on each one, then a gloss coat to seal them down, a bit of a wash job.....and then i'll turn to the ejection seats.

-d-

• Like 2

That is seriously great work, don't often see this scheme and the fact you have used Modeldecals , even better.... 

Often wonder how the Falklands war would have played out if the Old carrier had been in, guess it wouldn't have happened no doubt the Bucc's would have been streaking across the Argentine Airbases to deliver bad news !!!

Might want to check but I don't think RN Buccs had the nose landing light...... Ask me how I found out ........

6 hours ago, Paulaero said:

That is seriously great work, don't often see this scheme and the fact you have used Modeldecals , even better.... 

Often wonder how the Falklands war would have played out if the Old carrier had been in, guess it wouldn't have happened no doubt the Bucc's would have been streaking across the Argentine Airbases to deliver bad news !!!

Might want to check but I don't think RN Buccs had the nose landing light...... Ask me how I found out ........

Yeah, i know. i found out after the gear had been installed.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on the ejection seats now, but i cried uncle and installed the intake covers. Some microdots of Micro Liquitape hold them in place...

IMG_3510

Each intake plug consisted of 7 parts. Getting the shape established for the plug part (which acts as a locator) was the toughest part. The grab handles are HO Gauge grab irons.

IMG_3512

After the seats comes a little bit of clean up work, then the IFR probe and pitot boom.

IMG_3516

Bye for now.

-d-

• Like 10

Okay. Who doesn't like painting ejection seats?

ME.

I don't like painting ejection seats.

But, as Eric Brown would have said...there you have it.

IMG_3535 IMG_3533 IMG_3532 IMG_3536 IMG_3537 IMG_3538 IMG_3540 IMG_3541

I've done about all i can do on the seats for now, until my next order from Hannant's shows up. When i come home i'll turn to fixing some things on the canopy i'm not happy about and get the decals on it.

Until then- keep your knots up and your powder dry.

-d-

• Like 13

Those seats look exquisite, your lack of like notwithstanding. How did you do those belts? 

Cheers,

Andre (who just got two RAF S.2B boxings of this beastie)

Looks wonderful. I will be shamelessly nicking your method for building the probes for a P1127 that needs them - Airfix didn’t provide any in their 1960s baggie. And you might hate ejection seat painting but those belts are super.

A question though. There is a pylon behind the pilot’s seat which looks to have an ejector pin mark on it. When I was doing my rather more impressionistic FROG one last year in a similar scheme, I remember finding out that the pylon wasn’t there on the earlier S2A Buccaneers, thus solving the ejector pin issue rather neatly!

If you have a plan for that I apologise for bringing it up.

Regards,

Adrian

These seats look like larger scale. In fact, the whole model looks like that.

Congrats on everything from the global buid and painting to every detail.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 7:01 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looks wonderful. I will be shamelessly nicking your method for building the probes for a P1127 that needs them - Airfix didn’t provide any in their 1960s baggie. And you might hate ejection seat painting but those belts are super.

A question though. There is a pylon behind the pilot’s seat which looks to have an ejector pin mark on it. When I was doing my rather more impressionistic FROG one last year in a similar scheme, I remember finding out that the pylon wasn’t there on the earlier S2A Buccaneers, thus solving the ejector pin issue rather neatly!

If you have a plan for that I apologise for bringing it up.

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian, the thing you're talking about is some sort of post, which the navigator could attach his charts to. Believe it or not, that hole which looks like an ejector pin mark is actually prototypical and is supposed to be there. However, i've heard from some quarters that it's not on early Buccaneers and i'm sorely tempted to whack it off, since it looks kooky and everybody is gonna think its an ejector pin mark...

Maybe someone here can weigh in with a more definitive answer??

-d-

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 6:20 AM, Hook said:

Those seats look exquisite, your lack of like notwithstanding. How did you do those belts? 

Cheers,

Andre (who just got two RAF S.2B boxings of this beastie)

well, after priming the first thing i did was, i applied a wash of future, water and Tamiya flat black to the whole seat. In addition to creating false shadows, it delineates everything from everything else.

Then i went in with brushes and painted the seat frame rear first (flat black), then the seat cushions (green drab) next the seat belts and finally i painted the buckles using a drybrushing technique with Testors chrome silver.

I tried my best to do as neat a job as possible, but i still had to go back and do touchups here and there.

Next i went over the whole seat (again) with the wash of water, Future, and Tamiya flat black. When that was done, i drybrushed the belts, cushions and seat frames in slightly lighter colours and then finally i blasted the whole shebang with clear flat. Some minor wear was added to corners with a prismacolor silver artists pencil.

FWIW, i have the S Mk. 2 B boxing and i bought the CMK cockpit set as well as Eduard wheels, the NewWare canopy mask set, some more decals, and a Eduard photoetch set for some face curtain handles. One annoying thing is nobody makes a good, early Buccaneer seat. I have the Neomega ones and they're kind of rough.

HTH,

david

Edited by David H
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

FOD covers and seats look great!      👍 

Cheers,

Bill

i just installed the face curtain handles and canopy breaker blades. Film at 11.

-d-

Okay, here's where we are with the ejection seats. They're done for all effective purposes and installed in situ with AMMO glue again.

Seat 001

As you know, i was waiting for the Eduard set to arrive so i could install the face curtain handles, which i did. What i was NOT expecting were these handy dandy canopy breaker blades...which went onto the sides of the CMK frames just fine. Oh Happy Day!

Seat 002

The breakers were such a distinctive feature of the seats so i'm glad i installed these.

The stupid looking navigator's ironing board is GONE.

Seats 005

You will also notice i've tried to fake the canopy track slot with some flat black. Hopefully it will look "good enough" once the canopy is installed.

Not sure how well it shows up in photos, but i've tried to incorporate the starboard offset to the Navigators position. Also, while not visible in these pictures i went back and painted the Navigators radar display with Tamiya Clear Orange.

Seats 006 Seats 008

It doesn't look great in the photo, but i've attempted to repair a botched decaling job with a clear Butyrate disc punched from the CMK package, to depict the clear frangible disc used to blow the canopy off in emergencies. It looks worse in photos than it does with the naked eye.

Seats 001

The decals which go around the canopy frames will come next. After that, all we need to do is install the Pitot Boom and the IFR probe...then i can join the lemmings and start a Tamiya F-4B, LOL*

*If the Super VC10 doesn't mind.

Seats 003

Keep those letters and cards coming, and as always, FLY NAVY.

-d-

• Like 10

Stunned.  I am stunned at the stupendous work going on here.  The harness looks like real woven fibre material, and this in 1/72 scale.  Of course, the FOD covers are first-rate, too!  You're almost at the finish line with this one!

• Like 1

Ahoy there, Lads!

Stick a fork in it. i think she's done.

There will be an interval of introspection and self critique, to assess whether or not i can or should add anything to the build. My iPhone went bananas trying to upload the pics i took, so i view this as fate telling me to take a step back and re-photograph the model another day.

I know this thread was long, but i wanted to make it an instructional tool for anybody who comes after me to build a Buccaneer of their own.

And with that being said, here are the rushes...

IMG_3631 IMG_3635 IMG_3641 IMG_3642 IMG_3643 IMG_3644 2021-06-28 13.47.07 IMG_3645 IMG_3647

The left hand wheel kinda rotates on the brass axle, so there's a chance the flat spot on the tyre bottom is not properly oriented in a couple of these photos.

At some point, i'll do a proper RFI and a post mortem on the build. Right now however i just wanna relax a bit and decompress. I typically go thru a post completion burnout/recovery phase that lasts a couple of weeks anyway.

Keep your knots up and your powder dry.

Edited by David H
  • Like 7