1/35 Theodolite

AMC1965

Hi there,

Quick question - does anyone know of any company that makes a 1/35 scale theodolite? I am currently doing a LRDG diorama and need a theodolite.  Just me being lazy really, I can source tripods and guess I could scratchbuild the theodolite but if there is one out there then so much easier. 

Many thanks in advance.

Andy C

Didn't Tamiya once make a German Army accessory set that included a pair of those big binoculars on a tall tripod?  That would sort you out most of what you need - just take off one lens, hold on to any focusing gear, and adapt the mounting a little.

Hi Pigsty, you are of course correct, there is one set I have seen that does three types of tripod based rangefinders. As I said in my post  it is just sheer laziness. I have spent all this evening fiddling with minute Eduard PE straps so there is no reason why I shouldn't craft one. I have surfed the net and cannot find an actual theodolite so assume there probably isn't one. Many thanks for your response 🙂

If you're talking stowed rather than deployed, the theodolite head would be stored in a protective box.  As for the tripod, I suspect that there might have been several types and a German binocular periscope tripod is probably as good as any whether stowed or deployed.  Theodolites would normally have been an RE item, and it is entirely plausible that LRDG might have acquired commercial ones or RE types from Australian or NZ units (not necessarily same as UK).

That is a good point, I had considered both but my preference is deployed with a figure adapted to be using it. I have found a great close up of an LRDG member using one and it details the working end of the theodolite nicely. I have a spare sun compass in 1/35 so may try to adapt that with plastic rod etc. Its interesting to know that there would not have been a standard theodolite, many thanks for that as it means I can be allowed a bit of leeway in my interpretation of it (I.e. allow for dodgy scratch building) cheers for the info :-) 

My reading of things LRDG leads me to believe that initially at least, theodolites were scrounged from wherever they could be found, ie, Egyptian Survey Dept or similar so  likely to have been some variation in them.

Steve.

There would have been a British Army standard type.  That would not necessarily have been the same type used by Indian, SA, Oz or NZ forces, all of which might have chosen their own.  As noted, LRDG were renowned scroungers and "liberators" of kit.  They might also gave captured Italian or German items.  So almost anything probably goes.......

• Like 1

kk

I happen to have a Director No 7 dated 1941 which is just an artillery name for a theodolite.  Still in its box with tripod head and screw driver it was recovered from bottom of a lake used as an NZ Army dumping site.  Never know could have been used by the Kiwi LRDG 😜

50674721661_bd71eea984_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ab6 by tankienz, on Flickr

50673976848_8e7962dcc9_c.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ab7 by tankienz, on Flickr

The box is L 20.5 cm x W 13.5 cm x H 14.5 cm.  The director was originally painted grey/green. I can provide more detailed measurements of the director if required.

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 1

Oh wow, that is really useful. Would it be possible to have some photos from the other angles as well please. That is perfect for a scratch build. Thank you so much 🙂

Photos as requested.

50677531613_891e2a29e4_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ac0 by tankienz, on Flickr

50677531733_eab3374230_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ac4 by tankienz, on Flickr

Base still in stowage location

50677531818_2c01dca940_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ac3 by tankienz, on Flickr

50677531913_3660c2d97d_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ac2 by tankienz, on Flickr

50678361997_d0633b582e_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ab8 by tankienz, on Flickr

Before base screwed to director

50678362112_10b3fceff8_w.jpgIMG_4287 by tankienz, on Flickr

50678280486_046fa405c7_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ab9 by tankienz, on Flickr

50678280481_8ec5b00f0d_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1abc by tankienz, on Flickr

50678361392_41772354ec_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1abb by tankienz, on Flickr

50678280386_8b398f28f9_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1aba by tankienz, on Flickr

50677531398_27189004ec_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1abd by tankienz, on Flickr

50678280261_cb94dbdc08_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1abe by tankienz, on Flickr

50677531238_b338eaf53a_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1abf by tankienz, on Flickr

50678361047_2eb1549dbf_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ac1 by tankienz, on Flickr

Due to parallax the ruler may not be able to relate to the instrument so sitting on stand:

Height 190mm to top of viewing lens in the position shown in photos (which is missing a rubber eyepiece).

Diameter of round section in the middle of the director 100mm.  The top can rotate 360 degrees.

Top of ivory plate 75mm long.

Note the box would have been carried on a web strap attached to either side of the stowage box. 

Is this the photos you have?  From Bearded Brigands by Brendan O'Carroll

50677589823_caf429430a_w.jpgfullsizeoutput_1ac5 by tankienz, on Flickr

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 1

That is fantastic, thank you so much, I much appreciate it. If the build is any good I will send you a photo. Yes, that is the photo I have, its a really good one. Thank you again 🙂