X-15 A2 external fuel tanks

-Ian-

Hi everyone

I've decided my next build will be a 1/72 MPM X-15 A2, complete with the garish white and dayglow red/orange external fuel tanks as per the pic below. Question is what paint to use for the tanks?

The instruction call for Gunze Aqueous H98 Fluorescent Orange, but to my eyes this looks too orange, the real thing seems redder, also nowhere in the UK seems to stock it anyway so possibly discontinued. What IS the correct shade to use and who produces a paint of that  colour or a close approximation of it? My preference is for Vallejo or Mr Hobby/Gunze paints but happy to consider other brands.

Thanks

151002-F-IO108-005.JPG

1 hour ago, scotthldr said:

Xtracolor do X253 Leuchtorange, it's the colour that'll you see on Luftwaffe F-104's and GR-91's in the 70/80's. Although most photos show it faded after a few months/years, when factory fresh it looks pretty close to the above.

Thanks but I think that's pretty much the same shade as Gunze H98. I agree that would probably work well for the dayglow orange used on Luftwaffe and RAF aircraft but it doesn't look right for the X-15, might work if I sprayed it over a red undercoat though.

I also agree with scotthldr  that FS28915 would come close to the fluorescent red used on the external tanks; Modelmaster stock number is 1775 for enamel and 4703 in acrylic, but the enamel paint is more red and the acrylic more orange. I have seen photos of the tanks that are more dayglo orange and some that are more fluorescent red. You can do a search for Modelmaster  FS28915 to find places that have both colors for sale.  hobbylinc.com is a good source for discontinued Modelnaster enamels and acrylics.

Mike

Here's a link to a photo collection of the X-15 with the external tanks on display at the Air Forced Museum

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/195761/north-american-x-15a-2/

https://www.americanspacecraft.com/pages/x15/x-15-2a.html

• Like 1