Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Finished 03/02.

DaveJL

11 hours ago, Jabba said:

Nice work in the cockpit. The small stabilisers are the ILS aerials and on most RAF Phantoms were fitted when the RWR was fitted. There were a few exceptions though.

Thanks mate. I had no clue what the stabilisers were for!

Made a good bit of progress today. It's very pleasant indeed to build a kit that doesn't fight you at every bit of plastic, cough Revell Tornado, cough. I digress. The wings were fitted last night so this morning I was able to tidy up the seam lines. Some filler here and there but nothing drastic.

50825714357_33ba5e0a3c_b.jpg

50824876243_9ce864686f_b.jpg

50825713927_3a3d80a5a0_b.jpg

50825619676_fe46146156_b.jpg

Some of the Eduard etch was added to the wheel wells. Not really sure if this adds much but they were easy to fit so no harm done.  I also added some scrap etch and wiring/tubing behind the WSO's instrument panel, just to busy it up a bit. Note also the repositioned HUD frame:

50824876368_623ed1e1c5_b.jpg

A very nice kit this and who doesn't love the Spey engined Phantom!

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 11

• DaveJL changed the title to Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Update 11/01.
33 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Blimey Dave you'll have this finished by the end of the week at this rate!

She's gone together very well with only a small amount of filler in the usual Hasegawa Phantom places.

Well maybe next week :lol:

It's a nice kit to build despite its age. Just need to smooth over some of the sanded areas and the main airframe is pretty much done!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another question that perhaps @Phone Phixer, @Retired Bob or @Jabba could answer. The Hasegawa instructions suggest that the periscope (part C21) is fitted to the centre canopy section (part F3). I can't find many images of XV571 in the Green/Grey camouflage from the left hand side of the jet, so I do not know if it was fitted early on.

I have found a few images of it in later life with it fitted (pretty much in line with the centre of the intake splitter between the two canopies):

50240897153_7521ab8d5e_b.jpg

And not fitted:

0000074931.jpg

So was the periscope (if indeed that's what it was called) removable and fitted for certain tasks?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Dave

Good progress and a nice choice of scheme.

According to Patrick Martin's Phantom book; XV571 was with 43 Sqn from 1969 to June 1978 (with a short break elsewhere in late 1972).  Throughout that period it carried the tactical camo scheme and was fitted with RWR in May 1976.

If you have any issues with the squadron specific decals let me know - I'm pretty sure there's the remnants of the same sheet upstairs with all the spare Phantom decals.

Mike

1 hour ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Dave

Good progress and a nice choice of scheme.

According to Patrick Martin's Phantom book; XV571 was with 43 Sqn from 1969 to June 1978 (with a short break elsewhere in late 1972).  Throughout that period it carried the tactical camo scheme and was fitted with RWR in May 1976.

If you have any issues with the squadron specific decals let me know - I'm pretty sure there's the remnants of the same sheet upstairs with all the spare Phantom decals.

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike! I'll say my model will be late 1976 then :lol:

Not to debate what Mr Martin has published in his book (unless he has the timetable as per the years covered in his 2 books on British Phantoms?) but there are images of XV571 in the '80s in with 43 Sqn in the 3 tone grey camouflage, two are posted above. I was tempted to get both volumes at RIAT in 2019. Wish I had now as they were about half the price of a single volume on Amazon!

Thanks for the offer of the decals. If I make a mess of them, I'll be sure to drop you a message!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveJL said:

So was the periscope (if indeed that's what it was called) removable and fitted for certain tasks?

Hi Dave, I stopped working on F4s in 1980 and they were not fitted then.  I believe they were target image intensifiers, ie to visually check out what that tiny black dot is.  They would have been a permanent fixture once they had been installed, I will have a check of my books and see if I can find their proper description and what date they started being fitted from.

17 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Dave, I stopped working on F4s in 1980 and they were not fitted then.  I believe they were target image intensifiers, ie to visually check out what that tiny black dot is.  They would have been a permanent fixture once they had been installed, I will have a check of my books and see if I can find their proper description and what date they started being fitted from.

Cheers mate, any info on them would be great!

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks for the info Mike! I'll say my model will be late 1976 then :lol:

Not to debate what Mr Martin has published in his book (unless he has the timetable as per the years covered in his 2 books on British Phantoms?) but there are images of XV571 in the '80s in with 43 Sqn in the 3 tone grey camouflage, two are posted above. I was tempted to get both volumes at RIAT in 2019. Wish I had now as they were about half the price of a single volume on Amazon!

Thanks for the offer of the decals. If I make a mess of them, I'll be sure to drop you a message!

I shouldn't have stopped reading the individual history of XV571 at June 30 1978.  At that point it went to BAe at Holme on Spalding Moor (just up the road from here but not much left of it now).  Presumably it continued to carry 43 Sqn markings and tacticsl camo whilst at HoSM, was then repainted in ADV grey by April 1981 and noted as carrying special 43 Sqn markings in 1986 and eventually transferred to 111 Sqn by Sep 1991.

53 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

I shouldn't have stopped reading the individual history of XV571 at June 30 1978.  At that point it went to BAe at Holme on Spalding Moor (just up the road from here but not much left of it now).  Presumably it continued to carry 43 Sqn markings and tacticsl camo whilst at HoSM, was then repainted in ADV grey by April 1981 and noted as carrying special 43 Sqn markings in 1986 and eventually transferred to 111 Sqn by Sep 1991.

Lovely, thanks mate! It had a long service life, wasn't aware any were transferred as the Tornado F.3s were coming into the Squadrons.

8 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Hi Dave.

The periscope was called TESS (Target Enhancement Sighting System) or something along those lines. It was a permanent fit modification, but I don't know when they were fitted. All the 19 sqn jets had them when I got there in 86.

The periscope was actually sourced from the army, they were fitted on tanks apparently. It was to allow the nav to try and identify the dot in the far distance as friend or foe.

Rob.

11 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Hi Dave.

The periscope was called TESS (Target Enhancement Sighting System) or something along those lines. It was a permanent fit modification, but I don't know when they were fitted. All the 19 sqn jets had them when I got there in 86.

The periscope was actually sourced from the army, they were fitted on tanks apparently. It was to allow the nav to try and identify the dot in the far distance as friend or foe.

Rob.

Thanks Rob! From what I'm gathering, from the information here and from what I can find online, XV571 wouldn't have had it fitted in 1976.

4 hours ago, Jabba said:

IIRC they were taken from Chieftain tanks.

Good grief; removed from a Main Battle Tank and fitted to a mach 2 interceptor. British ingenuity at its finest and most resourceful!! 

• Haha 1

Tearing through this one. Even I'm surprised at how quickly it's going together :lol:. I sprayed the relevant cockpit areas black then added the HUD (which is a clear piece included in the Eduard set). Once dry, I added the windscreen, painting the faint green tint on the armoured glass in the middle. Once dry, I masked it along with the centre section and the exposed tubs to leave this:

50832356736_1950d82ca3_b.jpg

50832442472_0f11b79ed0_b.jpg

50832442322_193126f725_b.jpg

The random bits of black are just what was left in the colour cup so wanted to check some of the filled areas. The clear parts have since had their framing sprayed black also. All the parts that need sprayed are ready to go:

50832356076_a8bc649843_b.jpg

This boxing also included some vinyl tyres and metal hubs. A nice touch that saves a lot of masking:

50832355861_3d2c85326c_b.jpg

The FOD inserts aren't great; there's a couple of bubbles from casting and the fit isn't the best. They're definitely not on par with the QMT examples I used on my FGR.2:

50832441727_0f992711ae_b.jpg

Pylons also assembled. The angled protrusions need removed. @Phone Phixerpointed out in my FGR.2 build that are actually the inboard MWA's (multiple weapons adapters) which were used for air to ground ordnance, hence not applicable here and so were chopped off and sanded smooth.

50831612263_df1e087082_b.jpg

Going to give the model a good check over tomorrow and hopefully get it primed.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 7

• DaveJL changed the title to Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Update 13/01.
19 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Will you please slow down Dave!

Looking really good mate, though I imagine the camo is finished by now. 😁

Not quite mate, but it is primed :lol:

50838738287_1d12ff01c8_b.jpg

I also picked up a fairly good reference magazine from everyones favourite auction site:

50837927278_e1f333a9da_b.jpg

I particularly like this picture:

50838654751_2ba976e101_b.jpg

Now that is grimy! Giving me ideas for weathering this one!

More soon and stay safe,

Dave.

• Like 8

• DaveJL changed the title to Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Update, sort of, 15/01.
On 13/01/2021 at 18:43, DaveJL said:

Pylons also assembled. The angled protrusions need removed. @Phone Phixerpointed out in my FGR.2 build that are actually the inboard MWA's (multiple weapons adapters) which were used for air to ground ordnance, hence not applicable here and so were chopped off and sanded smooth.

The MWA's were used by air defence squadrons but they were only used for baggage pods, like that fitted to the inboard pylon in the photo below.  The missiles are drill/inert for displays.

On 12/01/2021 at 15:32, DaveJL said:

50240897153_7521ab8d5e_b.jpg

I have not managed to find out much about the periscope, it seems they were fitted after1983, they were even fitted to the F4J aircraft that were used by 74 Sqn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

The MWA's were used by air defence squadrons but they were only used for baggage pods, like that fitted to the inboard pylon in the photo below.  The missiles are drill/inert for displays.

I have not managed to find out much about the periscope, it seems they were fitted after1983, they were even fitted to the F4J aircraft that were used by 74 Sqn.

Thanks Bob. Think I'm right in saying a camouflaged jet wouldn't have had the periscope fitted!

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Dave. 

I also have same mag on British Phantoms. It’s a cracking read. 

James

Thanks James. It is indeed a good magazine, plenty of information and pictures.

5 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks Bob. Think I'm right in saying a camouflaged jet wouldn't have had the periscope fitted!

I think you are correct, by 1983 they should be all air defence grey, (ducks, as someone proves him wrong) :whistle:

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Looking good in her coat of primer Dave, no obvious flaws at all.

I like the look of the underneath of the Phantom in your picture, now that is weathering!

Thanks mate. No areas to tidy up which I'm pleased with! As for the weathering, I think I'll try something similar, though maybe not just as grimy!

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

I think you are correct, by 1983 they should be all air defence grey, (ducks, as someone proves him wrong) :whistle:

Sounds like good info to me mate!!

• Like 1

A bit more done. I sprayed the landing gear bays along with the airbrake wells white, with the inside of the airbrakes themselves being sprayed red. I then fitted these to the fuselage with a bit of blu-tack, along with the main landing gear doors and some foam for the front landing gear bay. Ready for pre-shading now:

50853566862_5627f8a6a1_b.jpg

I then moved on and finished a lot of the sub assemblies. Firstly, the FOD covers were sprayed red. The landing gear was then finished and wheels attached. The metal/vinyl combination isn't as nice as I'd first thought. I'll invest in some resin wheels next time. I have only recently discovered that the FG.1 & FGR.2 had British specific wheels; the kit plastic parts are incorrect for a British jet. Not sure why Hasegawa went down the vinyl/metal wheel route rather than moulding plastic wheels. Anyway, there is nice detail on the hubs which was highlighted with a dab of Flory wash.

50853566547_e387a380f3_b.jpg

The lovely Quickboost Martin Baker MK.7 ejection seats were finished off. As with my FGR.2, I varied the colour of the straps (blue for the leg straps) and cushions as numerous reference pictures show a mixture of colours on these seats over the years:

50853566317_08f3c85649_b.jpg

Exhausts:

50852752473_bd716ef955_b.jpg

Finally for today, the missiles. It's hard to pick out the slight variation in colour on the nose of the AIM-7s as it's a very pale grey. The Tamiya missiles and decals are excellent.

50853566037_96d6e5540b_b.jpg

50852752133_2c437dab11_b.jpg

Hoping to get the pre-shade done tomorrow and possibly the grey on the undersides and fuel tanks.

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 6

• DaveJL changed the title to Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Update, 19/01.
49 minutes ago, Col. said:

Tidy work on the sub-assemblies Dave. Are you going for a heavy pre-shade on the rear lower fuselage?

Thanks mate! I had planned on just a general pre shade across the airframe, with a slightly heavier pre-shade aft of the main wheel bays. The main weathering for that area will be with oils.