Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Finished 03/02.

DaveJL

Didn't quite get as much done today as I'd hoped, sidetracked with other bits and pieces. Anyway, the pre-shade is done (rough as a badgers backside as usual 😇) and the nose cone fully sprayed. That just needs masked up before moving on:

50856917321_e593461b36_b.jpg

50856917121_33cc48c25b_b.jpg

Moved on and painted the fuel tanks. I added some heavy oil staining in one or two places as per some pictures I have seen, including a few in the previously shown magazine:

50856916986_614ff623e4_b.jpg

50856916846_e4c6a83aef_b.jpg

Light Aircraft Grey and Dark Sea Grey from MRP. Oils were the usual mix of Abteilung. (I have noticed the LAG overspray on the top of one of the wing tanks. Damn and blast, will have to fix that!) After the tanks, I finished off the pylons. The kit decals were scrap so I had invested in a stencil sheet from Xtradecal:

50856916516_465669e4b7_b.jpg

Pylon decals used as appropriate:

50856916641_6c0165fd83_b.jpg

Edge of your seat stuff. I'm hoping to make some progress on the fuselage over the weekend. Am I right in saying the upper camouflage colours 'wrapped around' the leading edges of the wings by a small margin?

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 6

• DaveJL changed the title to Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Update, 20/01.
4 hours ago, Jabba said:

Nice work on the sub assemblies. Strange I am sure that Hasegawa got the wheels right on one of their kits whether it was the plastic style or metal.

Thanks mate. They could well have done, but definitely not in this boxing from what I can see!

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

More good progress Dave.

Those stencils look much better than the original kit ones.

Cheers mate. The Xtradecal stencils are a necessary addition I feel.

• Like 1

Having looked through my Hasegawa British Phantom kits and reread your earlier post about the wheels, I have seen that the plastic ones are not correct. I think that Hasegawa went down the metal line is because when they first did a British Phantom it was in their Hi Grade series. I think the first one was the FG1 from Boscombe Down, whilst I have the Alcock and Browne RAF one. So it may have been easier for Hasegawa to do this as the other wheels are on a common sprue. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Having looked through my Hasegawa British Phantom kits and reread your earlier post about the wheels, I have seen that the plastic ones are not correct. I think that Hasegawa went down the metal line is because when they first did a British Phantom it was in their Hi Grade series. I think the first one was the FG1 from Boscombe Down, whilst I have the Alcock and Browne RAF one. So it may have been easier for Hasegawa to do this as the other wheels are on a common sprue. 

Cheers Mark.

Having looked at them a few times, they're not great. Luckily Aires do a nice looking resin set, complete with masks. I'll pick up a couple of sets of those for my next two builds. (FG.1 of 892NAS and FGR.2 of either 29 Sqn or 1435 flight.)

• Like 1

Not much progress this weekend but did manage to get the Light Aircraft Grey undersides sprayed:

50871046567_e62f52108a_b.jpg

Will mask that up and hopefully get the DSG/Green sprayed tomorrow. The MRP colours are great for this sort of scheme as they dry so quickly and are not affected by masking tape, for example you don't get marks on the paint or paint peel. There's still some detail to go into the landing gear wells.

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 7

• DaveJL changed the title to Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Update, 22/01.

A good bit of progress today. Firstly the undersides were masked up in preparation for the top colours. Once done, I sprayed on a few light coats of Dark Sea Grey. After about 30 minutes drying time, I set to work with the Top Notch masking set. Generally, this is very good with great flexibility and adhesion, although some areas did need an extra bit of either blu-tack or masking tape to get the right shapes. Some of the masks were a bit off but easily sorted:

50874058698_7c881369ef_b.jpg

Then it was on with the Dark Green. Again, two lights coats was all that was needed. Once set, I removed the masking. I actually think that if you were very careful in your removal, you could actually reuse this masking set. However I was just impatient so tore the lot off :lol:. I then added a few details to the landing gear wells, painted the Nav lights and added a few details of painting across the airframe. 

50874058533_7dc7bab5c9_b.jpg

50874869397_132a984a6c_b.jpg

50874869272_719c3e56f6_b.jpg

50874058063_acb10bf22d_b.jpg

50874883757_db3e329e53_b.jpg

I've three days of work ahead then a long weekend off so hoping to get the metallic areas at the rear painted on Friday with the aim of getting gloss and decals on over Saturday and Sunday.

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 8

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Great job on the upper surface colours Dave they have gone on really well, those masks seem to have worked very well too.

Looking forward to seeing the decals go on.

Cheers mate, I'm happy with how it's looking thus far.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jabba said:

Nice work with the paint scheme. I have never used masks of any kind, but those have worked well.

Thanks Mark. The masks are very useful, as I say just a bit of tweaking here and there. I struggle with camouflage patterns without masks as I'm not the best as the Blu-tack method so I don't mind spending a few extra pennies for them.

8 hours ago, Sluffer77 said:

Nice build so far, look forward to seeing the end results 

Thanks mate!

A bit more done today. Metallic areas around the exhausts painted; MRP silver and Tamiya Gun Metal. Once dry, a few coats of Alclad Aqua Gloss went down.

50887746468_e8d5ede1cd_b.jpg

50888459296_0eab76cfbf_b.jpg

50888577442_0832c7476b_b.jpg

50887745993_1fe9bc39cf_b.jpg

Might add one more coat tomorrow just to make sure it's extra shiny before getting applying the decals on Sunday. The eagle eyed among you will see that the upper aux intakes aren't painted; I haven't forgotten, I just haven't bothered as they can't be seen when the doors go on :lol:

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 5

• DaveJL changed the title to Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Update, 29/01.
34 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

More nice work Dave, the metallic areas look really good.

Thanks mate.

I've taken a bit of a notion for Spey engined Phantoms - picked up a bundle off ebay which will be a 892NAS FG.1 and got a Revell FGR.2 for a great price from @Duncan B. I had planned to do that as a 29 Sqn jet but might mark it up now as a 1435 flight jet. I seem to get lots of notions for this sort of thing :lol:

• Like 2

Doubt I'll be able to find it again now but while on Facebook yesterday I seen a photo of a 43 Sqn. Phantom with a checked rudder. Think it was on the Scottish Aviation Nostalgia page :hmmm: Looked rather smart.