Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Finished 03/02.

DaveJL

Hello all,

Hot on the heels of my first entry for this GB, here and continuing the QRA theme, I'm throwing this one in the ring too. It's been gradually edging its way to the bench so I'll just have to give in and get it built. Hasegawa's 1/48 Phantom FG.1, marked as XV571 of 43 Squadron based at RAF Leuchars in the 1970s.

43 and 111 were the only frontline Squadrons that operated the FG.1 and formed the Northern QRA for 20 years in the case of 43 Squadron. I've already built an FGR.2 in the grey scheme, so this will be the camouflage grey/green.

Kit:

50665618856_5119a3d310_b.jpg

50665618551_f14884507c_b.jpg

Aftermarket:

50665695027_9f266ab9a5_b.jpg

I'll be using Quickboost resin seats, Eduard etch, Mastercasters FOD covers, New Ware canopy masks, Top Notch camouflage mask and Xtradecals. She'll be fully loaded with 4x AIM-7, 4x AIM-9G (both from a Tamiya F-14) and 3x gas bags.

Scheme:

50665617906_0e95cecbde_b.jpg

I know the decal sheet shows it as the aircraft that participated in the IAT in 1974 but just ignore that! 

And finally...

50665694482_742b5b8e27_b.jpg

Will make a start once I get through some more of that troublesome Tornado.

Dave

• Like 12

• DaveJL changed the title to Phantom FG.1, 43 Squadron QRA, 1970s. Update 06/01.

The briefest of starts on this one, but a start none the less. As always, I begin with the ordnance. In this case, 4x AIM-7 and 4x AIM-9G all from a Tamiya F-14 kit. 3x fuel tanks are from the kit and need some clean up along the seams:

50806493578_198c38a253_b.jpg

More exciting updates in due course!

A question for the experts if I may, does anyone know if XV571 would have been fitted with the RWR on the tail fin for QRA duties in the early '70s? The instructions from the Xtradecal sheet do not show it fitted but I'm curious as to wether the RWR would have been removed for airshow appearances? There's a few images online which show it with and without it so would be interested to know when It was fitted:

0000074948.jpg

XV571 RWR

XV571 RWR

More soon and stay safe.

Dave

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, John_W said:

I lived in Leuchars for five years I'm the 70's the sight and sound of a pair of these roaring over the school and out over the North Sea was very familiar.

I would have loved to have seen British Phantoms fly! As it stands, I have not seen any sort of Phantom airborne. I fear my time is running out 😔

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

I have not seen any sort of Phantom airborne.

Oh Dave, my deepest sympathy to you. Not that many places left to see the might Phantom in it's natural element.

Good to see you making a start and getting the ordnance out of the way at the start, something I really need to learn from. I like your choice of airframe and the grey/green camo, as for the RWR housing it was not removed for air shows, once they were on they stayed on. They were fitted to F-4's during the late 70's and possibly into the early 80's but not all were done at the same time so you need to pick a picture of your bird and stick with it.

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Oh Dave, my deepest sympathy to you. Not that many places left to see the might Phantom in it's natural element.

Good to see you making a start and getting the ordnance out of the way at the start, something I really need to learn from. I like your choice of airframe and the grey/green camo, as for the RWR housing it was not removed for air shows, once they were on they stayed on. They were fitted to F-4's during the late 70's and possibly into the early 80's but not all were done at the same time so you need to pick a picture of your bird and stick with it.

Thanks mate. Looks like Greece could be the best chance of seeing one in flight! Unless some come to a future RIAT :lol:

Thanks for the Info on the RWR, indeed the two images I've linked above are from 1978, other is from the early '70s. Since my FRG.2 has it fitted, I'm thinking I might leave it off this one for a bit of variety!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

I would have loved to have seen British Phantoms fly! As it stands, I have not seen any sort of Phantom airborne. I fear my time is running out 😔

When I first moved there they were operating Lightnings. They were noisy beasts too.

41 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks for the Info on the RWR, indeed the two images I've linked above are from 1978, other is from the early '70s. Since my FRG.2 has it fitted, I'm thinking I might leave it off this one for a bit of variety!

I was on a Phantom Sqn, 19(F) Sqn during 78/79 and we still had Phantoms without RWR fitted, it was a slow process of fleet upgrade as the aircraft went through the maintenance cycle.

I remember the early 70's at Leuchars, 43 Sqn were the first air defence Phantom Sqn along side 23 Sqn Lightnings.  As I'm sure you're aware The FG.1 Phantoms that the RAF received were spare airframes that the Royal Navy ordered for HMS Eagle but it was taken out of service by time the Phantoms were delivered.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, John_W said:

When I first moved there they were operating Lightnings. They were noisy beasts too.

Golden days of British military aviation!!

15 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I was on a Phantom Sqn, 19(F) Sqn during 78/79 and we still had Phantoms without RWR fitted, it was a slow process of fleet upgrade as the aircraft went through the maintenance cycle.

I remember the early 70's at Leuchars, 43 Sqn were the first air defence Phantom Sqn along side 23 Sqn Lightnings.  As I'm sure you're aware The FG.1 Phantoms that the RAF received were spare airframes that the Royal Navy ordered for HMS Eagle but it was taken out of service by time the Phantoms were delivered.

Thanks for the info Bob, always great to hear from ex personnel who worked on the jets. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Looking forward to see your next gem 👍

Thanks Alex, hope it lives up to the billing!

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Looking forward to this build Dave as another ex Phantom worker well for about 2yrs at Saints.

Thanks mate. Perhaps you and @Retired Bob  could assist me with something; what colours would the AIM-7 and AIM-9G be? I'm fairly sure for the early to mid  '70s they were white overall but would like to check!

33 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks mate. Perhaps you and @Retired Bob  could assist me with something; what colours would the AIM-7 and AIM-9G be? I'm fairly sure for the early to mid  '70s they were white overall but would like to check!

I would best describe them as satin white with black stenciling and the yellow and brown explosive bands.  Even though the underside of Phantoms were pretty filthy with engine oil and hydraulic fluid the missiles were quite clean, generally only fitted for QRA duties, if the aircraft were scrambled, on return the missiles were usually removed for the aircraft to have maintenance carried out. :winkgrin:

6 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I would best describe them as satin white with black stenciling and the yellow and brown explosive bands.  Even though the underside of Phantoms were pretty filthy with engine oil and hydraulic fluid the missiles were quite clean, generally only fitted for QRA duties, if the aircraft were scrambled, on return the missiles were usually removed for the aircraft to have maintenance carried out. :winkgrin:

Great, thanks mate! Were the AIM-7 fins white also? I know the later models, on American jets anyway were a dark grey/metal colour.

41 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Great, thanks mate! Were the AIM-7 fins white also? I know the later models, on American jets anyway were a dark grey/metal colour.

In the 70's the wings were satin white, same as the missiles,  later variants of Sidewinder and Sparrow/Skyflash were a light grey instead of white.  Between my time on fighter sqns I was on Buccaneers in Scotland then back out to Germany on Harriers, much different weapons. :winkgrin:

I just remembered Dave, the AIM-7 radomes were matt white, similar to unglazed porcelain is the best description.  As I'm sure you know the yellow band denotes high explosive in the warhead and the brown band is for the propellant in the rocket motor (also known as a low explosive).  Hope this is helpful to you. :winkgrin:

A bit more done today. Cockpit was painted yesterday, so was able to get the etch in this morning. Normal story in that the Eduard colour doesn't match with the paint but I can live with that!

50821013073_33f21b9a46_b.jpg

50821761261_3a02e819c8_b.jpg

A light going over with some Flory wash was done just to give it a bit of a 'used' feel.  I set that aside and fitted the intakes along with each nose half to its respective fuselage side. I find this gives a better fit compared to adding the nose cone as whole when the fuselage is closed up:

50821857377_bda8eb5832_b.jpg

Once that had dried, I fitted the cockpit and closed up the fuselage. Now, I had planned on not fitting the fin top RWR to this build but I made a bit of a faux pas  - I pierced locating holes on each side of the fin for the small stabilisers. It was only later did I realise that these were only fitted with the RWR, I'm assuming for some sort of balance or such like. Anyway, fuselage closed up and RWR fitted:

50821760981_9ff96fa80e_b.jpg

50821858007_2df1d3d121_b.jpg

Taking shape nicely. Hoping to tidy up the fuselage join seams and fit the wings in the next few days.

Stay safe.

Dave

• Like 6

Well that didn't take very long at all Dave!

Great job on the cockpit and on closing up the fuselage halves, I didn't know that the nose cone comes in two halves on this, I think your suggestion of fitting each one to the respective fuselage half is the best solution.

Did you add any weight in the nose before you closed it up?

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Well that didn't take very long at all Dave!

Great job on the cockpit and on closing up the fuselage halves, I didn't know that the nose cone comes in two halves on this, I think your suggestion of fitting each one to the respective fuselage half is the best solution.

Did you add any weight in the nose before you closed it up?

Thanks mate.

I found with my previous Phantoms - Revell (Has) FGR.2 and Hasegawa F-4F that the nose was better done per side rather than one as the latter could create a small step. Nothing major, I just prefer doing it this way. As for the weight, yes, my trusty plasticine was used, though don't ask me how much as I just slapped some in both nose cone halves!

• Like 1