F-111E / F "Victor Alert"

Sierra Mike Sierra

11 hours ago, Thomas Bell said:

Two comments, neither especially relevant:

When I was a small child in the 1950s, my dad sat Reflex Alert at RAF Fairford in his B-47E. The best part of this for me was that he would bring back Matchbox cars and Cadbury chocolate, neither of which were available here at the time. That aside, he told me late in his life that his jet was always "cocked" on the Fairford alert pad, meaning armed and ready. This at a time the British public were fed the lie that there were no US nukes in their country.

Second, does anyone know why the FB-111A was not used in the alert

role? It was, after all, built specifically for SAC for the nuclear strike mission. As far as I know, it had little, if any, tactical use.

Thomas,

As the upper comments state and @SAT69is correct. My F-111 experience started with the FB-111A at Pease AFB Portsmouth New Hampshire September 1975 509th BW. At that time we had bombers and tankers on alert. Load configurations were a mix. Some had AGM-69's on the wing pivot pylons with B-61's in the bay or vise versa. Some were tow and two. I do remember loading an all missile alert aircraft. The aircraft also had chaff and flare in the aft ALE-28 dispensers. I don't know the exact date that SAC stopped overseas alert aircraft. Could have been when they stopped have airborne aircraft.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Part 2 of the SAC saga. The US held the winter Olympics at Lake Placid New York which is south and slightly west of Plattsburg. SAC decided to move the alert force to Pease AFB for the duration of the games. At that time we had both the 380th BW alert force along with our own. Our weapons load hanger turned into a alert facility. Just 2 of the aircraft. Also the hanger across from ours had 2 aircraft also. The aircrews stayed in the alert building and had to make the trip by vehicle. Those that were parked remotely were not part of the klaxon response.

Ron

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Thomas,

As the upper comments state and @SAT69is correct. My F-111 experience started with the FB-111A at Pease AFB Portsmouth New Hampshire September 1975 509th BW. At that time we had bombers and tankers on alert. Load configurations were a mix. Some had AGM-69's on the wing pivot pylons with B-61's in the bay or vise versa. Some were tow and two. I do remember loading an all missile alert aircraft. The aircraft also had chaff and flare in the aft ALE-28 dispensers. I don't know the exact date that SAC stopped overseas alert aircraft. Could have been when they stopped have airborne aircraft.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

I should have been more clear. I meant overseas alert, like the tactical birds at Lakenheath. I know that RAF Fairford, last time I looked, at least, is now a KC-135 base.

Tom

• Like 1

Tom,

No problem. This is a Hasegawa kit and built this mid 90's. We received this jet from the depot maintenance in the original SAC camouflage and think was the last to be converted to G.

100_6838

Still have this in my display.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 6

1 hour ago, f111guru said:

Tom,

No problem. This is a Hasegawa kit and built this mid 90's. We received this jet from the depot maintenance in the original SAC camouflage and think was the last to be converted to G.

100_6838

Still have this in my display.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

I wasn't even aware of this kit. I work mostly in 1/48, and for many years all us Aardvark lovers were stuck with the Monogram kit, itself from the old Aurora kit molds which, I believe, started out as the snub-nosed, stillborn US Navy F-111B. Anyway, it was a terribly misshapen model, so awful no amount of surgery could correct it.

• Like 1

Yes, me too. Sorry to say and hope not dead, Hasegawa would re-release the series. I do have in my stash a great number of those kits and other companies. Airfix, USAirfix, Monogram, Italeri, Aurora just to name a few. Here is my attempt to have one of every F-111 model. Not by company but by letter. Disregard the backgrounds please. Starting with A.

100_6833 100_6832 100_6839

Test bed

100_6835

1/48th scale Academy kit

F-111F-Aardvark-6

F-111F-Aardvark-12

Verlinden F-111F conversion set, Hasegawa GBU-10's and GBU-12's. Scratch built slats and flaps. Built this before the xtra parts slats and flap set hit the street.

These were built in the mid to late 90's. Still in display.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, f111guru said:

Yes, me too. Sorry to say and hope not dead, Hasegawa would re-release the series. I do have in my stash a great number of those kits and other companies. Airfix, USAirfix, Monogram, Italeri, Aurora just to name a few. Here is my attempt to have one of every F-111 model. Not by company but by letter. Disregard the backgrounds please. Starting with A.

100_6833 100_6832 100_6839

Test bed

100_6835

1/48th scale Academy kit

F-111F-Aardvark-6

F-111F-Aardvark-12

Verlinden F-111F conversion set, Hasegawa GBU-10's and GBU-12's. Scratch built slats and flaps. Built this before the xtra parts slats and flap set hit the street.

These were built in the mid to late 90's. Still in display.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Wow, just wow. I have dreams of getting to build an F-111B as you have. What a magnificent set.

Tom

17 hours ago, Thomas Bell said:

I should have been more clear. I meant overseas alert, like the tactical birds at Lakenheath. I know that RAF Fairford, last time I looked, at least, is now a KC-135 base.

Tom

Fairford hosts B-52s, B-1s, B-2s and the KC Support comes from Mildenhall. U-2s also based from Fairford.  Not sure if there is a facility to store the Special Weapons at Fairford, though there was provision made in the last US Defence budget to reactivate the site at Lakenheath.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Julien said:

Fairford hosts B-52s, B-1s, B-2s and the KC Support comes from Mildenhall. U-2s also based from Fairford.  Not sure if there is a facility to store the Special Weapons at Fairford, though there was provision made in the last US Defence budget to reactivate the site at Lakenheath.

U-2s are now a permanent detachment at Fairford flying missions most days.

Al.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 11:42 PM, Rob de Bie said:

I made a sketch of what I can see on Google Earth of the former RAF Upper Heyford. Judging from the double fencing, there was a victor alert at the west side, and one at the south side. The weapon storage was in the north-east. I hope it's correct. At Lakenheath I don't see double-fenced shelter areas, my simple criterium for 'nuclear' areas,

upperheyford-01.jpg

Rob

Thats exactly what I remember. Old alert facility on the southside. 'New' facility on the Northwest side. The tree immediately east of the 'new' facility' became home for 20th OMS/20th AGS "Blue Bravo" section once the 'new' facility became active. I wore down a few sets of steel-toed boots tramping across that concrete 😉

Great looking patch. I have a hat with the same scheme but with the F-111E. I bought it in 1987 when were from Cannon AFB were there with our D models for Coronet Comanche deployment to RAF Boscombe Downs. Also had a tee skirt with the Coronet Comanche emblem which has long since worn to threads.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

The 48th TFW stood down from "Victor Alert" and stopped all flying by 28/2/77

10/3/77 24 F-4Ds left LN , all F-4Ds had left by 22/4/77.

Three F-111Fs arrived at Lakenheath 1/3/77, they were placed into the large hanger.

Creek Swing began of 1/6/77. 70-397 was the first F-111F to officially join the 48th TFW in the 494th TFS (BRU-3/A loaded), the F-111Fs arrived there after in batches of sixteen aircraft building up the 493rd, 492nd and 495th squadrons respectively. 

It wasnt long after the F-111F gained autonimous laser designation in its PAVE TACK pod and so it concentrated on precision attacks etc etc and as far as I can tell the 48th TFW never took up the "Victor Alert" status.

An F-111E with 2x B-61s was common, however 4x was possible too with one B-61 on each wing pylon, parent mounted.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2022 at 3:08 PM, f111guru said:

Great looking patch. I have a hat with the same scheme but with the F-111E. I bought it in 1987 when were from Cannon AFB were there with our D models for Coronet Comanche deployment to RAF Boscombe Downs. Also had a tee skirt with the Coronet Comanche emblem which has long since worn to threads.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

That patch started with the F-111 script then in the 80s it got the F-111E and F-111F.
You can still get NOS from several online sellers. There was a company somewhere Norfolk way, Lowestoft maybe that made them, there was another place in the Fens too I seem to remember, but they could have just been resellers there because of the holiday trade.

They were always popular at base open days, and Air fete.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:55 PM, SAT69 said:

Two questions: What is "the bat" and did the 48th F-111Fs have a nuclear role before modification to Pave Tack configuration?

They were capable of delivering nuclear weapons, they were never on "Victor Alert"

On 12/1/2020 at 8:31 PM, Giorgio N said:

I have some vague memory to have read that when the 48th F-111F received the Pave Tack the unit ceased to provide aircraft for the nuclear alert role, the reason being that the sensor suite prevented the use of tanks in the bat. Can't remember where I had seen this kind of info, will have to dig into my sources. And it may well be that I do not remember correctly.

20th TFW sure had aircraft on alert for the nuclear mission for the whole of their use of the F-111E

I can find nothing that states they took up "Victor Alert" duties after they were stood down while flying the F-4Ds

Thats not to say they never did, its just that I cant find anything that actually states they they took up the "Victor Alert" duties on such n such a date until etc etc. 

Edited by ElectroSoldier

On 30/09/2022 at 19:56, ElectroSoldier said:

They were capable of delivering nuclear weapons, they were never on "Victor Alert"

I can find nothing that states they took up "Victor Alert" duties after they were stood down while flying the F-4Ds

Thats not to say they never did, its just that I cant find anything that actually states they they took up the "Victor Alert" duties on such n such a date until etc etc. 

I have the rather excellent "USAFE Tactical Units in the UK" book (https://www.fonthill.media/products/usafe).  The section on the 48th TFW has a comment from an F-111 pilot at Lakenheath stating that they sat nuclear alert.  That's it, though, no details and I don't see any other such comments.. 🤷‍♂️

Al.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:33 PM, alhenderson said:

I have the rather excellent "USAFE Tactical Units in the UK" book (https://www.fonthill.media/products/usafe).  The section on the 48th TFW has a comment from an F-111 pilot at Lakenheath stating that they sat nuclear alert.  That's it, though, no details and I don't see any other such comments.. 🤷‍♂️

Al.

No Ive read that too which is why I aire on the side of caution. My "problem" with that is I cant find a date which their Victor alert status started and ended.

When they had the F-4D there was a date it ended. So when did it start again?
There is a difference between Victor alert and maintaining a posture of readiness.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just stumbled onto this site.  If anyone has any specific questions about Victor Alert at RAF Lakenheath, please ask.  I was a crew chief on the F-111F there 1982-1985 and pulled VA duty quite a bit, including a whole summer when the flying operations (except VA) deployed to RAF Scultorpe due to runway renovations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Doug Just Doug said:

Just stumbled onto this site.  If anyone has any specific questions about Victor Alert at RAF Lakenheath, please ask.  I was a crew chief on the F-111F there 1982-1985 and pulled VA duty quite a bit, including a whole summer when the flying operations (except VA) deployed to RAF Scultorpe due to runway renovations. 

I've got two for you, if they don't conflict with security:

1. Earlier in this thread I posted a annotated Google Earth photo of Upper Heyford indicating the two QRA areas and the WSA. My method is simple: anything with double fencing is nuclear. It's amazing how many airfields all over the world show these double fenced areas. Now for the question: I studied Lakenheath too, using photos from several years (as available in the stand-alone version of Google Earth), but I could not find double fences, or traces of them, anywhere. The oldest photo is from 1999, and maybe they had switched to vaults by them time. But usually you can still see some remains of the fencing.

2. I'm quite confused by the colors of drop shapes / loading trainers and the real things. B43 and B57 always appear to be white, I don't think I've ever seen anything else. I've seen the B61 in white overall, and silver lacquer with a brownish nose. I always thought the latter was the live one, until I saw the video on page two of this thread:

At around 3:00 there a 'TRAINING ONLY' stencil to be seen on a B61 in silver lacquer with a brownish nose (movie is mirrored btw). So there goes my theory.

Rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I've got two for you, if they don't conflict with security:

1. Earlier in this thread I posted a annotated Google Earth photo of Upper Heyford indicating the two QRA areas and the WSA. My method is simple: anything with double fencing is nuclear. It's amazing how many airfields all over the world show these double fenced areas. Now for the question: I studied Lakenheath too, using photos from several years (as available in the stand-alone version of Google Earth), but I could not find double fences, or traces of them, anywhere. The oldest photo is from 1999, and maybe they had switched to vaults by them time. But usually you can still see some remains of the fencing.

2. I'm quite confused by the colors of drop shapes / loading trainers and the real things. B43 and B57 always appear to be white, I don't think I've ever seen anything else. I've seen the B61 in white overall, and silver lacquer with a brownish nose. I always thought the latter was the live one, until I saw the video on page two of this thread:

At around 3:00 there a 'TRAINING ONLY' stencil to be seen on a B61 in silver lacquer with a brownish nose (movie is mirrored btw). So there goes my theory.

Rob

@Rob de BieI'll answer question 2 first. I'm trying to remember how the WSA was at RAF Lakenheath while I was there from 1977 - 1980. Okay, your confusion is as you say confusing. In my 22 years loading and supervise the loading of bombs I've seen exactly what your saying. Generally the white shaped munition which looks like a B-61 is a BDU-38 drop shape. When we were tasked to demonstrate our capability to drop nuclear weapons we used BDU-38's. WE treated the BDU-38 as a live B-61 and we did not deviate from our training. The two man concept and such. This included the aircrews. Our load training munitions during my time from 1971 to 1993 had not changed. We had B-28, B-43 B-57, B-61 and AGM-69 training munitions. These looked the part of a live ordnance except it had TRAINING USE ONLY or INERT stenciled on the sides. They're a few companies in the past few years have come out with resin castings of these or most of those munitions. I have a few in my stash and saved the AFM-69's from the Monogram/Revell B-1.

As far as question 1, the WSA (Weapons Storage Area) had a double fence but the double I thinking was on each side of the post. On top of the posts were a Y shaped metal for the lines of barbed wire and the double rolled concertina wire set in the Y. At least this is what my memory is telling me. Myself and load crew were tasked to aide the Security Police to guard the WSA during one of their exercises. On top of the earthen berm had fox hole dug so 15 to 20 feet apart. We were placed in these fox holes for their exercise. If my memory is correct the earthen berm was 3 sided and the WSA being shaped as a rectangle. The MSA or munitions storage area was some distance away from the weapons storage area.

This may or may not help. Memory is lacking after some many years.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

59 minutes ago, f111guru said:

@Rob de BieI'll answer question 2 first. I'm trying to remember how the WSA was at RAF Lakenheath while I was there from 1977 - 1980. Okay, your confusion is as you say confusing. In my 22 years loading and supervise the loading of bombs I've seen exactly what your saying. Generally the white shaped munition which looks like a B-61 is a BDU-38 drop shape. When we were tasked to demonstrate our capability to drop nuclear weapons we used BDU-38's. WE treated the BDU-38 as a live B-61 and we did not deviate from our training. The two man concept and such. This included the aircrews. Our load training munitions during my time from 1971 to 1993 had not changed. We had B-28, B-43 B-57, B-61 and AGM-69 training munitions. These looked the part of a live ordnance except it had TRAINING USE ONLY or INERT stenciled on the sides.

Interesting! Previously I had grouped B61 drop shapes and loading trainers as having one color, and live weapons another. But it's different, as you describe.

I remembered Daco's B-52H book, page 81. I always thought (and was amazed) that the crews were training with live B61s. But now that I look very closely, I can see fairly small 'TRAINING ONLY' stencils on the noses and tail fins. Personally I find the difference very, very small, as in not very safe..

Regarding Lakenheath, a Y-shaped fence, interesting! It would be a deviation from the standard, and I would not expect that. BTW, I should have added that I'm not specifically interested in determining the old Lakenheath QRA and WSA locations. It's more about how it's possible that no visible remains can be seen in aerial photos.

Rob

I remembered some more B61 photos, and I'm back to being confused again. There's this photo, reportedly a Volkel vault being inspected. What color is it?? It's no BDU-38 drop shape I think.

800px-B61_nuclear_bomb_-_inert_training_

More Volkel B61s: a group photo of the munitions squadron, looks like the same color as above. Source: https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2021/05/28/us-soldiers-expose-nuclear-weapons-secrets-via-flashcard-apps/)

image21-1.jpg

Back to square one?

Rob

4 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I remembered some more B61 photos, and I'm back to being confused again. There's this photo, reportedly a Volkel vault being inspected. What color is it?? It's no BDU-38 drop shape I think.

800px-B61_nuclear_bomb_-_inert_training_

More Volkel B61s: a group photo of the munitions squadron, looks like the same color as above. Source: https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2021/05/28/us-soldiers-expose-nuclear-weapons-secrets-via-flashcard-apps/)

image21-1.jpg

Back to square one?

Rob

Yes I can say that is a live round. Painted in what appears to be ADC gray with black stenciling. When were they painted gray I don't know. My last dealing with the B-61 and or any other type was the fall of 1979 just before I was to leave Lakenheath. I can't say what the first image round is suspended on. What I remember in my SAC and early Class A TAC base days, were determined for the first strike package launch after the alert force numbers. Those numbers were determined by the command level wizards. It always changed. So the numbers would be 1 to how ever many aircraft were in the squadron. In reality, don't think it ever was. The WAS at RAF Lakenheath wasn't that big and the structures seemed large enough for 2 trailers linked and backed in. I was never in green section when a Victor Alert was changed over. Myself and my loadcrew were the lucky ones doing the preps and change over. In the following photos, this is how I remember seeing special weapons stored in their igloos. They were on trailers ready to load or on rolling stands ready to be trailered.

IMG_0167 IMG_4297 IMG_4131

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1