The last... XZ499 Sea Harrier FRS.1, 8 June 1982, Lt. D Smith, HMS Hermes. Kinetic 1/48

At Sea

I'm just catching up with this and it's good to see that you're managing to resolve all the issues.

Touch wood, I've never had any kits damaged in the post and it's hard to image how yours could have been damaged so badly! :elephant:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CliffB said:

I'm just catching up with this and it's good to see that you're managing to resolve all the issues.

Touch wood, I've never had any kits damaged in the post and it's hard to image how yours could have been damaged so badly! :elephant:

Having briefly worked for a certain national mail delivery service and seen how some of the semi-tame apes they employed treated other people's stuff nothing would surprise me <_<

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the kind words, as mentioned before the difficulty is due to the damage, the kit itself is nice, 100% better than the KittyHawk Jaguar I was 'fortunate' enough to build last year!

• Like 1

Sometimes this site is pure gold.

This is one of those moments.  It is also the moment in the build when it becomes 'more than a model'.

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/637253-sea-harrier-sidewinder-firing-order.html

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Back on dry land for Christmas, and threw some paint at the Shar.

Given where this started I’m delighted it looks this good. Ready for decals & a wash.  

Early Christmas present to myself was waiting for me too, should be inspirational.

resized_55265556-12c2-4729-ae87-05cd16d3

• Like 5

Tidy paintwork :thumbsup:  See you've got sorted with raised undercarriage outriggers as well; was that replacement parts or the kit ones modified to suit?

I got a set of Airfix ones but they looked like jelly sweets compared to the Kinetic parts.

Lots of hacking and shaping to make the retracted out riggers longer & flush.

• Like 2

Sorry for the lack of updates,

Sherry trifles, port & cheese got in the way!

On the home stretch now, kept the weathering light, these aircraft were newly painted and although they lived outside the had plenty of salt water, rain water, WD40 and clean air flow.

I used MigAmmo Starship Filth, picked up every panel line & wiped it all off. This left a oily sheen but no dirt.

Exhaust staining was the only place I went to town on, Starship Filth & then some black eye shadow while it was still wet.

resized_dc52e51f-30a9-491e-9103-83a7e767

resized_2988073f-b992-4d79-bf58-7e440347

resized_be686831-d169-4da2-aded-37c988ed

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

FINISHED!

As with my Javelin I did not get time to make a display base and will show in RFI for those that are interested once I get back from Sea on the 10th March.

In the mean time here is my tribute to the Harrier Pilots of the Falklands war, Lt. David Smith's XZ499:

resized_80438c30-26c7-4226-9413-99dfec59

resized_03be654d-6174-4885-bdc1-444f7f52

resized_4b91d960-47e8-4e25-9a32-5a9304e7

• Like 7