Diorama 101 - first attempt

TrackHawk

Hi fellow modelers,

Still new-ish to the hobby and working on my next kit. The 88mm Flak Gun - North Africa version. 

As I'm working through this, I'm realizing with all the figures, gun, motorcycle, ammo boxes etc, this kit is really meant to be set up as a scene. 

I hadn't planned or thought of that, but looking at a few pictures it seems very easy for this model to have a basic sand base like the one in this photo - https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/35283north_african/index.htm

So my question is, before I dive right in and assume I just need to glue some sand to a board, what other dumb mistakes will I make and then say later on "Oh, I wish I know that!"

Could I go with something other than a wood board? Best sand to use? 

Thanks!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@TrackHawk, If you haven't started your diorama(am a month and a half late)then planning is the first step. In my youth I would jump full bore into a project and when done I found I could have added this also. I took your kit name 88mm Flak Gun and put it into a google and bing search. Both came up with similar results in their image section. First, is the kit marking just for the desert or could it be used in the European country side. I had found a number of original images from the desert and in country somewhere. Some were camouflage with branches and near a tree line. So I guess is to plan for what you want to make. In the last 30 years I've set down on paper what I would like to make and how extreme I want to get. But lately I've run across this website with tutorials of how to. Most are HO but can be used with larger scales.

https://www.bouldercreekrailroad.com/

As far as bases go, I've used a picture frame turned upside down with the thickness of the cut out using plywood.

AEW-1Skyraider-TopView_0001 F-111D-G

These are 2 I've done for folks.

Also have used basswood as a base. Once I get my workshop finished I'll give a go some of the tutorials of the above website. Why, my plan is to use some extruded foam board to make dirt abutment revetments from WW2. Specifically 20th Fighter Group and one of its fighter squadrons.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your WIP diorama and I'll be posting when I get done with my workshop.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

Very late to this thread as well, but, the best piece of advice I can give for learning about building a diorama is Sheperd Paine's book, "How to Build Dioramas". Some of the techniques are a little dated, but, as a source to help you avoid the various pitfalls and give you a good foundation of knowledge, it is tough to beat.

Matt

FWIW (and I’m no expert) I second the idea of using picture frames for a tidy margin around the outside of the display. Go to just about any  second-hand shop and you will find a large variety for next to nothing. Sand it down - spray it grey or black or whatever earth-tone looks good and you have a great looking margin for next to nothing.

I use MDF for the base of the diorama but use either expanded or extruded polystyrene foam to ‘bulk out’ the basic shapes of the landform then smooth out with plaster of Paris (or similar such as poly-filla) and paper -sort of like papier-mâché. 

Another tip I’ve heard but never done myself is to attach the subject to the diorama and then weather both the model and the diorama at the same time to get a nice consistent aesthetic finish.