Sword Meteor NF14 1/48

Just finished this.  If the PR9 was the "GT" Canberra then for my money the NF14 was the "GT" Meteor NF.  There was a lot of speculation a while back that this might have been an unreleased Classic Airframes kit; certainly it is extremely reminiscent of CA in the box - the hard glossy grey plastic, the surface finish/engraving, the way the parts are laid out on the anonymous sprues, the large sprue gates etc. - probably enough to suggest that there was some common thinking or even personnel involved.  Having built several CA Meteors in the past I can say that this builds up in a similar manner except that the fit of the intakes at least is far, far better.  Also I recall that CA used resin for the nose u/c assembly which was better in detail but far too delicate for the job (especially for the more cack-handed builders among us!).  In fact with this kit there is NO resin with everything moulded in plastic.  The cockpit is quite nice if a little soft in detail but as it's pretty much all black this is not an issue for most builders.  The supports for the R/O equipment between the front & rear positions is a bit fiddly & I lost the part that seems to represent a pair of plates that would be on either side of the pilot's head - possibly a head restraint?.  No mention is made of nose weight in the instructions & in any case I assumed that the long nose of the NF14 meant it would not be necessary & so I thought right through the build process, painting & decalling, until I attached the tail planes!!  ANOTHER for my tail sitter collection!  Decals are good quality but the placement guide is not clear for the stencils & downright misleading in places!  Painted in Xtracolour enamels.  Not a bad kit.  

IMG_2025 IMG_2027 IMG_2028

IMG_2026

• Like 24

Very smart looking Meteor Graham, and a far more representative finish than some of the fire dump escapees that are often seen.  There was no head restraint for the pilot although I do think that there was a frame that his shoulder harness passes over; there are plenty of images showing lots of fresh air ahead of the nav's kit.

I have one of these kits lurking in the "not-quite-certain-why-I-haven't-yet-finished-it" pile that I intend to complete as one of 85 Squadron's jets from West Malling (where I did my only bit of gliding and enjoyed the Great Warbirds air displays).  Thanks for the confirmation that I'm going to need some nose ballast; good job there's plenty of room for it.