Hi from Frankfurt - morphing back into a modeller

Sierra Mike Sierra

Hi all,

This is Stefan from Frankfurt. It has been quite a while (some 25 years) since I have built my last kit. I never really left the hobby, but other things got in the way (work, family) and I sort of degenerated into a collector of unassembled kits. I have hoarded so many aircraft kits that I got concerned that my remaining lifespan (assuming it would be the average for Western European men) would not suffice to built them all.

Now, Covid-19 made all my colleagues work from home and I saw the opportunity in all the many empty desks in the office… I conquered and annexed one of them and set up my aircraft factory and it worked, and I am back in the hobby.

My interest lies primarily with USAFE Cold War aircraft, but I am also intrigued by all these U.S. Navy carrier-based jets in their now outdated grey/white dress.

Happy to be here!

Cheers

Stefan

Edited by Sierra Mike Sierra
  • Like 3

Greetings from Western Canada and welcome back to the hobby. 

I, too, had a similar story and a large stash. If I built one kit per week, it would take me over 15 years to go through my stash and I'd be 82 years old. 

Chris

10 hours ago, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

I have hoarded so many aircraft kits that I got concerned that my remaining lifespan (assuming it would be the average for Western European men) would not suffice to built them all.

Gidday Stefan, welcome aboard. I believe you are what we classify as StABLE - Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy. Me too, but model ships (mainly 1/600 scale) in my case. When I said that to SWMBO she said "Well, you'd better get a move on!" Regards, Jeff.

Welcome aboard! :clap2:

11 hours ago, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

I sort of degenerated into a collector of unassembled kits. I have hoarded so many aircraft kits that I got concerned that my remaining lifespan (assuming it would be the average for Western European men) would not suffice to built them all.

And the problem is? :shrug:

Welcome aboard!

I'm familiar with the expanding stash.  I have recently thinned mine down, but there is still a very large number remaining.  Best get cracking with some more builds, I think!

Trevor

9 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Welcome aboard!

I'm familiar with the expanding stash.  I have recently thinned mine down, but there is still a very large number remaining.  Best get cracking with some more builds, I think!

Trevor

Thanks! To warm-up I picked an Academy F-4C. in 1:48 (I have plenty of them,  just in case I would screw this one...) 

Stefan 

Willkommen Sierra Mike Sierra!

Grüße von Mike Tango aka Toryu.

Steadiness of hands and eyes will leave me, too, before I have finished the 40 kits in my stash and 30 more to restorate.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:28 PM, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

Thanks! To warm-up I picked an Academy F-4C. in 1:48 (I have plenty of them,  just in case I would screw this one...) 

Stefan 

Nice - will look forward to seeing this one.  I did an ERTL F-4D a while back and am now up to 7 1/48 F-4s.  The latest one is late 70s / early 80s Luftwaffe.  Lots of helpful & supportive people on here