Airfix 1/72 Mig-17F Fresco

Smudge

I finally succumbed and bought the new Airfix Mig-17, after being a bit luke warm to the idea at first, as I do like the AZ kits. I have to say that it looks great and I'll probably be getting a few more. I am aware of some of the 'controversy' around the wings in some circles, but I think I can live with that.

A couple of questions though, and I can't find any other threads regarding these, so here goes.

• Has anyone tried to convert back to a early 'Fresco A' with the non afterburner rear end and smaller airbrakes (or is there another kit for this version) ?
  • Has anyone tried to convert to the Polish built Lim-6bis with the large parachute fairing (or is there a aftermarket part) ?

The extra parts in the box obviously point to other boxings, The rockets I believe to be for a Egyptian Air Force example, and the rocket pods could be for a number of operators. Also of course the two canopies, although I can't find much on the use of non-rear view mirror versions.

• What is the current thinking regarding any new boxings, markings and types etc?
  • Any murmurings leaks or rumours from Airfix?
  • Any proposed release dates for new versions?

Any information gratefully received. Thanks for your interest.

Hi Martin @RidgeRunner

Well................apparently it revolves around the nuances and subtle shapes and curves of the main wings. I suspect this could get quite involved, and I don't claim to have any first hand knowledge, but here is a link that contains some of the discussion around it, and links to another forum. 

http://britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049172-172-mig-17f-fresco-c-by-airfix-released-pe-set-by-arma-models/page/8/

Cheers.

Edited by Smudge

7 hours ago, Smudge said:

Hi Martin @RidgeRunner

Well................apparently it revolves around the nuances and subtle shapes and curves of the main wings. I suspect this could get quite involved, and I don't claim to have any first hand knowledge, but here is a link that contains some of the discussion around it, and links to another forum. 

http://britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049172-172-mig-17f-fresco-c-by-airfix-released-pe-set-by-arma-models/page/8/

Cheers.

Ah ha, thanks mate:)

• Like 1

I'll be looking for your build!  I enjoyed building the new Mig.  Some others had issues I did not have and perhaps I had issues others did not.  In the end it was a satisfactory build and suited my modelling aesthetic.  Regarding aftermarket alterations...I am not in that loop.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Hi John. 

Thank you. Glad to hear you enjoyed making your one. I have some great decal sheets with some unusual operators, hence my interest in some of these options. I'll definitely post up some pictures when I get it done.

Cheers.

6 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

.................the rocket pods are for the Polish Lim-6 fighter bomber, but they left out the braking chute part...

My hope is they'll do a re-box with a new fuselage for the Lim-6

Always the optimist :)

4 hours ago, Smudge said:

My hope is they'll do a re-box with a new fuselage for the Lim-6

Either for the Lim-6bis or for the MiG-17PF, as those (called Lim-6M/MR) also were used by the Polish Air Force armed with the MARS unguided rocket launchers

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Mikoyan-Gurevich Lim-6MR

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Smudge said:

Has anyone tried to convert back to a early 'Fresco A' with the non afterburner rear end and smaller airbrakes (or is there another kit for this version) ?

Fresco A has been issued by Dragon in 1994 and then reboxed by Bilek in 2003 and Zvezda in 2019.

Regrettably this kit is severely undersized (some 1:76-1:80), so you can't mate the Zvezda tail  with the rest of Airfix (or AZ) kit

Cheers

Michael.

• Thanks 1

On 30/11/2020 at 22:18, KRK4m said:

.......................... for the Lim-6bis or for the MiG-17PF, as those (called Lim-6M/MR)

Yes, that would be cool.

On 30/11/2020 at 22:23, KRK4m said:

Fresco A has been issued by Dragon in 1994 and then reboxed by Bilek in 2003 and Zvezda in 2019.

I hadn't realised that. Thanks for the info.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Airfix to come through for us.

On 11/30/2020 at 12:18 PM, Ryan Hothersall said:

the rocket pods are for the Polish Lim-6 fighter bomber,

The East Germans used the MARS on their MiG-17's as well, that would negate the need for the brake chute fairing of the Polish Lim-6: 

https://acesflyinghigh.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/mig17gdr.jpg

Cheeers,

Andre 

• Thanks 1

Hi Andre.

Yes, thanks, I have seen some pictures of East German Mig-17 with these rocket launchers. My bet would be for Airfix to release the East German version. 

A shame as I would rather see the Lim-6.

Cheers,

7 hours ago, Taylor Durbon said:

I‘m voting für the PFU with those giant missiles.

You'd need a new wind screen as well in addition to the radar nose, I'd love one as well but consider it unlikely to come from Airfix.

Cheers,

Andee

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 11/30/2020 at 8:32 AM, Smudge said:

I finally succumbed and bought the new Airfix Mig-17, after being a bit luke warm to the idea at first, as I do like the AZ kits. I have to say that it looks great and I'll probably be getting a few more. I am aware of some of the 'controversy' around the wings in some circles, but I think I can live with that.

A couple of questions though, and I can't find any other threads regarding these, so here goes.

• Has anyone tried to convert back to a early 'Fresco A' with the non afterburner rear end and smaller airbrakes (or is there another kit for this version) ?
  • Has anyone tried to convert to the Polish built Lim-6bis with the large parachute fairing (or is there a aftermarket part) ?

The extra parts in the box obviously point to other boxings, The rockets I believe to be for a Egyptian Air Force example, and the rocket pods could be for a number of operators. Also of course the two canopies, although I can't find much on the use of non-rear view mirror versions.

• What is the current thinking regarding any new boxings, markings and types etc?
  • Any murmurings leaks or rumours from Airfix?
  • Any proposed release dates for new versions?

Any information gratefully received. Thanks for your interest.

Zvezda do the 17 A ...its apparently the Dragon Mig 17 mould which came with both early and late rear fuselages. However the Zvezda only has the sprues for the A series. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The "old KP" Mig-17pf is a dissapointment.  Especially at bow.  Good point is flare dispencer on tail.  

Has anyone cross-knitted it with the Airfix?  Verticle tail fin and nose assembly added to Airfix?

It's bit late to answer the original question but here it is anyway. I converted the Airfix Mig 17 into the prototype and it is quite an easy fix. I repositioned the airbrakes by means of a decal as that seemed to be the easiest option

53538303117_46a7080bb4_b.jpg

John

• Like 1

Can get this from Shapeways to do the Lim-6bis

https://www.shapeways.com/product/T7UXGLV6K/lim-6-brake-chute?optionId=314299096&li=marketplace

I have one stashed with my kit and access to an original Lim-6bis in my local air museum that I've compared it with... the piece seems it'll be just the trick needed, whenever I get around to my build.

The MARS pods/pylons are offered too...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9HJAZY3M3/mars-2-rocket-pods-and-pylons-for-lim-6-mig-17?optionId=314247819&li=marketplace

Edited by J.C. Bahr
  • Like 1