Airfix 1/48 Folland Gnat.

Had the light box out tonight so thought I would take some pics of my down route builds.

This is a wonderful kit, an absolute joy to build and already eyeing up another one and some aftermarket to see how much more it can be lifted. I know, but I just cant resist those sheets of etch and chunks of resin!

Build out of the box using humbrol enamels for a change from my usual tamiya/Mr color acyrilics.

On her trip back from Cyprus the canopy looks like it has taken a hit as it is covered in microfractures plus pitot suffered a breakage, hence the kink! Shall knock a new one up out of a needle in near future.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Matt

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 55
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, foxhandybread said:

Oooh that is a bit special, super job there. I know it's not part of the model itself but I LOVE the tiny blades of grass poking through the runway, lovely detail 👍

Yes the pan is starting to look a bit full of weeds in places. I am sure the SWO will have the lads on Jankers out over the weekend pulling them up!

Many thanks Chap

All,

Many thanks for the praise, little over awed at the response on returning from work today! Very happy you like the little old girl.

11 hours ago, rodenlee said:

You've done a terrific job on this- thanks for sharing.

Does the model need nose weight?  If so, how much did you use?

Cheers

Shaun

I don't remember putting any in and just went and got the old girl out the cabinate and she doesn't feel like I put and in either. Sorry can't be more definite for you.

8 hours ago, Paul J said:

Excellent.  Clearly you did'nt use a dayglo for the red areas so what did you use?  I ask as I quite like it even though I do like dayglo.

No dayglo, this is the later RAF Trainer scheme of satin red over grey. The red I used was Humbrol 174 satin, has been dulled down slightly by the matt varnish I used to finish.

6 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

y4msypsu-z5kmSDgMZIJwTdwlAPYExvTW-qUa2pm

And you even modelled one of my famous landings!!!

Lovely model......Lovely base.

Congrats.

Q

Q,

I am glad I could recreate a fond memory of yours! 😆

As an engineer we have a slight addition to the pilots adage of a good landing is any you can walk away from, a great landing is one where we can use the aircraft again!

Matt

• Like 1

Just now, John Masters said:

An outstanding build and a very smart looking aircraft.  I must have one!

Go for it, the kit just falls together! Makes a nice stress free weekend build.

Matt