Starting again after over 50 years

ROBOBOB68

Just joined from Old Windsor. Last models I made were over 50 years ago. Now retired thought I would take up where I left off. Particularly interested in WWII and 1950s aeroplanes, nothing's changed there. 

Last kits I made were the Airfix Saunders Roe SR53, A Frog Airspeed Oxford and the Airfix DC3 in Silver City colours. I remember having real problems trying to give it the correct dihedral, something Airfix unfortunately

hadn't catered for. Without modification the model had horizontal wings which really looked odd.  My dad was the Wireless Operator Mechanic for the 715 Catapult Squadron Walrus on HMS Kent from 1938 To1940 with

the 5th Cruiser Squadron, China Station. As such I've jumped in at the deep end and bought the Airfix 1/48 scale, Silver Wings Walrus Mk.1. The model has decals for a 715 squadron Walrus but is for the example on HMS Cumberland

and coded WM.  I know my dad's was coded WW as I'm fortunate to have a picture of it being catapulted off the Kent as info on 715 sqdn is very limited. Even the late great Ray Sturtivant, expert on all things FAA hadn't that much info

on this squadron in his books. The picture is not the best but it appears the serial number is L2320. Hopefully I can sort out the appropriate decals to model my dad's aircraft. I have bought the AIMS bracing wires for the kit and wondered

if anyone had tried them. I'd be interested to receive any tips on fitting them. Look forward to starting the Walrus and enjoying the splendid site that this is.

Cheers Rob  

• Like 3

Greetings Rob I am also getting back into the hobby I manly build WW2 aircraft in 1/72 and fighters in1/48 some airfield dioramas. I also build German armour and figurines. Iv never built the Walrus but sounds an interesting project. I believe their is a Walrus on HMS Belfast although it is several years since I visited the ship. Hope your build goes well.... Paul

1 hour ago, ROBOBOB68 said:

The picture is not the best but it appears the serial number is L2320.

Air Britain lists L2320 as being Far East Communication Flight/4 Anti Aircraft Co-operation Unit,  to RAN 15.7.40,   there are listing for 715 sq Walruses though, but none 'look' like that serial except L2260.

By 'look' I mean if you have not very clear photo,  an 'L'  and '0' are fairly clear (and L will be the start) so it's the on one starting with a 2 and ending with an 0 that was with 715. 

You might get more information if post the photo,

@iang maybe able to help as FAA researcher. 

1 hour ago, ROBOBOB68 said:

I have bought the AIMS bracing wires for the kit and wondered

if anyone had tried them. I'd be interested to receive any tips on fitting them.

The site search is not great, but try adding 'Britmodller' into a search term.

This may help

My only word of caution, if you have not built a kit in 50 years,  new kits are different to ones you used to work on, often fitting VERY precisely, and as such you need to be sure to test fit and clean up sprue nibs, mould lines and even a coat of paint can throw off fit.    

OK, WIP build here, which mentions a few things to watch out for

EDIT - as for my beware modern complex kit comment, this from the linked thread above

"I found the same issue with the nacelle on mine. I didn't do a perfect job of removing it and ended up using a little filler.

i think getting the internal bits to fit perfectly is key to getting the fuselage together. Someone else on here has commented that the frame the pilots seat attaches to sat slightly high - this would cause problems with the fit of the roof. the kit seems to be well engineered but with tight tolerances - as with a few other new Airfix kits. In my build I was conscious that this might be the case so made sure that when I put the floor and those frames in they were attached very firmly. It seemed to pay off as I didn't have much trouble with the fit of the roof or fuselage sides. In fact my build has gone remarkably quickly (by my standards) - all the major subassemblies built in a week and now have some painting done.

My overall view of this kit is it's very nice and goes together well with care, but it's a little complex so I wouldn't recommend it to an inexperienced modeller."

Photo etch bracing may work fine,  but you will need to make sure everything is really well lined up.    

ok, here's a build with the AIMS ser

@jenko  could advise on the AIMS bracing.  

@tonyot would be interested, and I'm pretty sure has done an Airfix kit or two 

Finally, note my sig line on tool and techniques, as there are many personal variations,  it what works for you that matters.

HTH

T

1 hour ago, Paul Atkins said:

Greetings Rob I am also getting back into the hobby I manly build WW2 aircraft in 1/72 and fighters in1/48 some airfield dioramas. I also build German armour and figurines. Iv never built the Walrus but sounds an interesting project. I believe their is a Walrus on HMS Belfast although it is several years since I visited the ship. Hope your build goes well.... Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll let you know how I get on.

Rob

56 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

@jenko  could advise on the AIMS bracing.  

Someone called ;)

Hi Rob. AIMS bracing wires are dead easy. Do as the instructions say. Make sure your holes are clean and a tad larger than they say. Also the correct angle. A drop of super glue and all is well. Simples.

Seriously they really are idiot proof. ....They have to be if I use them. Any problems give me a shout.

Old Windsor..................... back in the early 70's I was at the Coopers Hill site.... Shoreditch college .. just up the road at Englefield Green.  Now a posh housing development.    Happy days

Dick 

Thanks very much for all your input. Certainly given me food for thought. One thing I have is plenty of time so I wont be rushing the build of the Walrus.

Thanks for the info on using the bracing wires, should be capable of doing it, I hope. Dick,  my dad was at Coopers Hill training to be a teacher after he came out of the RAF.

https://www.airport-data.com/member/ajax_aircraft_photo_preview.php?SID=834581b54445c541226d47560c8f4181&id=1062132

Above link should show my dad's Walrus though it's rather poor quality.

7 minutes ago, ROBOBOB68 said:

Above link should show my dad's Walrus though it's rather poor quality.

it's a members site.   But, if the pic is hosted there,  right click, 'copy image location'  and paste that into a post here,  the pic should show.

Welcome aboard! :clap2:

Diving into the deep end! As noted, make sure things fit as precisely as possible before applying glue. While I haven't built the Walrus, the Hurricane Mk.I benefited greatly by paying close attention to the precise fit. 

Hi Rob, welcome back again, and ejoy: you'll find a complete new world of modelling as it was way back then.

And especially the Airfix Walrus is a great example of how things have changed. When I started modelling in the seventies myself, Airfix kits used to be some lumps in a blister bag, and now you really could build an work of art out of it. With all the joy and obstacles that lies in such enterprise... 😉

There might be a few new techniques to learn (at least i had to, compared to what I did way back then), some are easy and straight forward, like drypainting or preshading, some take a little practice, like washing or dealing with PE parts, and some are considered scholarly disciplines in their own rights, like rigging or metal surfaces. And, of course, there's a lesson that you could easily spent ten times the kit's price in after market parts. Especially the Airfix Walrus has grown quite an ecosystem of parts for it.

Will watch the WIP once started, especially for the use of the bracing wires. I usually use EZ line for rigging, but these metal pieces might ease this very step considerably.

As for this specific plane; sometimes the limits of researching are narrower, but where facts are not available I think a bit of educated imagination could work. With some limitations, it's now quite easily possible to print decals on it's own, and my guess is the WW and the Ser.Nr. could be done like that, I'm pretty sure some guys over here would be happy to support on this. You'll find people on this site are friendly and supportive, if an interesting build is in sight. 😉

So, welcome from Vienna and looking forword to your build(s),

Guenther

14 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Air Britain lists L2320 as being Far East Communication Flight/4 Anti Aircraft Co-operation Unit,  to RAN 15.7.40,   there are listing for 715 sq Walruses though, but none 'look' like that serial except L2260.

Are you sure?  Think those are the entries for L2318-9.  My entry for L2320 in RAF Aircraft L1000 to N9999 (1993 Ed) says simply "To Admiralty 25/5/39".

Sturtivant's FAA Aircraft 1939-45 says for it: "710 Sq in Albatross (M) from 1/41 to 12/41; floats damaged landing on water 7/4/41 (S/L ST David); Papers Deposited (usually some time after Stricken off Charge) 18/7/41.

Which leaves a telling gap between 25/5/39 and Jan 41.  715 Sq received its first Walrus in 9/36 and disbanded into 700 Sq on 21 Jan 1940.  I'd say the case for WW NOT being L2320 is not proven.  And, usefully for OP, possibly not provable given the silence of the Sturtivant canon on this period of its history.

Would still like a peek at the photo though and will continue rummaging through Sturtivant in hope of throwing up something useful.

PS Again according to Sturtivant's FAA Aircraft 1939-45, L2260 served with 715 in Birmingham and survived long enough to become 700 sq, still in Birmingham, at 715's disbandment.  Last heard of with 700Sq at Sullom Voe 7/40-8/40.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Thanks 1

001062132.jpg

Thanks for the advice, here is the picture albeit poor quality. Seahawk, thanks for your help with this query. The Kent's serial being L2320 I found on a naval website some time ago and can't remember where.

I will have another search and let you know. My dad joined 715 at Lee-on-Solent in March 1938 and was with the Walrus on the Kent until the ship was torpedoed by the Italians in the Med in 1940 when he was seriously injured

whilst attempting to defuel said aeroplane. Fortunately he survived, after a long period in the RNH Haslar at Gosport. As you say during the time period above the serial could have been L2320.

As an aside, before 715 squadron my dad was with 101 Bomber Squadron. At the time in 1937-1938 they operated Boulton Paul Overstrands. Does any company make a kit. If I can complete the Walrus to a reasonable standard

maybe that could be my next mission. Nothing like making hard work for myself.

Thanks to you all for your kind welcome and offers of assistance, they are much appreciated.    

• Like 1

@ROBOBOB68

Afraid I can only get the photo to open at large postage stamp size.  Even my powers of imagination and creativity are unable to conjure a serial off that: other may do better.  Good luck in your hunt - and, belatedly, welcome to the forum.

Rummaged through details of all Walruses completed up to the date of 715 Sq's disbandment without spotting anything relating to "WW" or HMS Kent.  In fact there were very few references to 715 Sq at all.  With it being based at Kai Tak and Seletar, I wonder if the squadron's records were lost in the Japanese invasion?

I do think someone (Esoteric?) at one stage did a 1/72 kit of the Overstrand but it was limited run and probably not the easiest to build.  Probably difficult to find nowadays as well.

Edited by Seahawk

Hi Rob and welcome back to the Hobby. If you ever want to build a 1/72 DC-3/C-47 again, the good news is that you won't need to try and sort the dihedral out as all the current available 1/72 kits have pretty much got it right..

4 hours ago, Seahawk said:

My entry for L2320 in RAF Aircraft L1000 to N9999 (1993 Ed) says simply "To Admiralty 25/5/39".

My mistake.

I read the dash "-"  as being a fill down of the data I gave. :banghead:

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Afraid I can only get the photo to open at large postage stamp size.  Even my powers of imagination and creativity are unable to conjure a serial off that: other may do better.

It was a thumbnail link,  take the 'thumbnail' part out of it, you get

001062132.jpg

Posted here under 'fair use' /'fair dealing'  as directly relevant to the discussion . Note the image is captioned as L2320

36 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

FAA Squadrons (latest edition) gives WP/K8552 for 715 Sq:  HMS Kent listed with L2243 - no code given.

Air Britain give L2243 as 715 Sq, to Admiralty 24.5.39. 

Opening the image in a new tab, and enlarging the image,  it's really hard to make out anything much.  One feature, note there is a slight horizontal blur (look at the roundel)  so the horizontal parts of the serial are emphasised, and the vertical are faded.

Serial  that  'fit' with Air Britain listing for 715 sq,  and this 'feature'  is L2171

here is a list of all the other L**** serial Walrus shown as being with 715.

L2169 

L2187 - Crashed 19.4.38

L2189 - Sank 3.5.38

L2208

L2212

L2213

L2235

L2242

L2243

L2260

HTH

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It was a thumbnail link,  take the 'thumbnail' part out of it, you get

001062132.jpg

Ah, thank you: much better - learned something today!

Looking at it with the eye of faith (ie staring at it until I go cross-eyed), the first character is L (doesn't look like K or P) and the second one must be "2" (because all L-serialled Walruses are).  I keep wanting to see  a vestigial smudge at the end of the serial as a "1" but believe the 2 middle numbers to be more substantial than "17".  I could be persuaded by Graham's L2243.  I can't in all conscience see L2320 (as captioned).   But all very tentative on my part: happy to be proved wrong.

• Like 1