P2V-7 Neptune

Friends,

Due to long over due 1 / 1 scale 😉 home improvement projects, I have been absent from posting new content since my previous project, the Sword F3H Demon in July.  Spurred on by a Caracal decal sheet that I came across, I wanted to go with the venerable Hasegawa P2V-7 Neptune anti-submarine warfare aircraft.  Here are the highlights I found of this kit and project..............

1. Paints used ( all acrylics ) :

A. Mission Models White 

B. Model Master Engine Gray ( number unknown )

C. Other colors - Mission Models Aluminum, Tamiya Titanium Silver, Tamiya Gun Metal, Tamiya Metallic Grey, Model Master Dark Gull Grey, Model Master Flat Black, Mission Models Radome Tan

2. Dated molds with raised panel lines and select recessed lines for movable surfaces.

3. Uschi Bobbing thread “Fine” size for radio antenna

4. Caracal decal sheet P2V Neptune Part 1    #CD72055 ( option # 3 / VP-11 US Navy )

5. References : Warpaint series Lockheed Neptune ( # 51 ) and internet.

6. Washes and chalk pastels used to lightly weather the Neptune.

Unfortunately, this is not one of my better efforts.  I started the kit and then set it aside as I focused on the home improvement project.  Subsequently, I lost interest with the kit but I wanted to complete it before proceeding on to something else.  I regularly fought with the two clear parts on the top of the fuselage and ended up cutting out the bomb bay doors to access the clear parts / windows from inside the fuselage.  Then, inexplicably, the seams would crack open and reveal themselves during simple handling during construction.  After spending an untold amount of time of back and forth corrections, I surrendered and applied a bead of glue and wiped the seam on the lower fuselage surface.  Then, for some unknown reason, I had the decals “silver” after using my tried and true Tamiya Clear as the base gloss coat :banghead:.  Naturally, additional time was spent correcting the issues.  I noticed that the top fuselage decal that wrapped around the circular some window did not properly align with the mid-gray wing section as I spent considerable time from my references to ensure proper alignment.  Then, I noticed a second seam pop open as I was applying the decals.  This one was located on the top of the fuselage :rant:.  After removing the tape from the clear parts, I noticed the main cockpit windscreen was scratched from my efforts of trying to eliminate flaws.  Frustrated, I pressed on to the finish line as I figure that the Neptune looks decent from a distant and in the display cabinet as opposed to being left in the box.  Again, my apologies for the poor picture quality 

Thank you very much for your interest and I intend to present a much better subject after this less than stellar Hasegawa Neptune.  Thank you in advance.

With much respect,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here is a view that illustrates the size of the Neptune as I posed it next to my 72nd scale Airfix B-17G.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 52
  • Thanks 2

I love these twin-engine planes. The size of the Neptune is really impressive. Superb modelling - very clean and precise! The Fortress looks great, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your Neptune looks a lot better than the majority of my builds and my builds aren't bad. The finished model looks very good to me. The B-17 looks great too!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Toryu said:

The size of the Neptune is really impressive. 

I saw one in the flesh a few years ago at Floyd Bennett Field. I was surprised how big an aircraft it is.

Very nice finish on your model. 👍

BM. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Fought you all the way but came out good.

Thank you very much for the kind words my friend.

9 hours ago, Toryu said:

I love these twin-engine planes. The size of the Neptune is really impressive. Superb modelling - very clean and precise! The Fortress looks great, too.

Thank you kindly!!!!!  I was a bit surprised just how large the Neptune is.  

8 hours ago, swralph said:

lovely modelling.😀

Thank you sir!!!!!

7 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Your Neptune looks a lot better than the majority of my builds and my builds aren't bad. The finished model looks very good to me. The B-17 looks great too!

You are much too kind SAT.  This one has it`s fair share of warts and blemishes but hey, at least it`s done. ( by the way, your models are indeed better than this Neptune here 😉 )

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Superb looking P2 there, one of my favourite aircraft. I'm really liking that B-17 also!

Terry

Thank you Terry.  I`m glad that you like it and the B-17.

6 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice job, and don't beat yourself up about it!  I really like it--it's a beast of a plane all right, especially when compared against a B-17!  Thanks for sharing.

I`m glad that you like it.  Thank you for the kind words!!!!!

5 hours ago, rodenlee said:

Your Neptune has turned out really nicely Mike.  A wonderful job on an unsung hero!

Cheers

Shaun

Thank you Shaun!!!!! PS: Just don`t look too close at it. 

4 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice Neptune there, great job!

Thank you Russ.  To receive high praise from one that is as skilled as you are is an honor indeed.  

4 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Mike, you have done a great job, I can't fault it from here. Nice to see it over the line and finished. :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend.  Just don`t enlarge the picture because the faults will appear.  It`s not an award winner but as I have posted previously, it`s better in the display cabinet than in the box at least.

4 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Still you made it look good, well done👍👍👍

and when you say less than stellar Hasegawa Neptune I thought he we can use en new tool Neptune and even a new tool Orion....

Cheers, Jan

Thanks Jan.  It would be nice to have a new tooled Neptune and Orion as you have pointed out but for now, these will do just fine.  They`re not horrible kits at least.

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Real good neptune Sky Keg !!

Congratulations !!

I appreciate the pics with the Fort' aside !!

I always like this kind of comparison !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thank you CC.  I`m glad that you like it my friend.

3 hours ago, RMCS said:

Excellent 

Thank you RCMS!!!!!

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Mike :). I need to find space and time to build mine sometime :). 

Martin

Thank you Martin!!!  Like Russ, it`s an honor to receive accolades from skilled artists such as yourself.  

2 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

I saw one in the flesh a few years ago at Floyd Bennett Field. I was surprised how big an aircraft it is.

Very nice finish on your model. 👍

BM. 

Thank you BM for the very nice comments!!!!!

Many thanks again to all!!!!!!

Respectfully, Mike 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

You've done a cracking job Mike that's a beautiful Neptune well done

thanks for sharing

regards

Eamonn

Thank you sir.  After viewing the pictures, I need to revisit this kit and apply more touch ups.  Thanks again for the very nice comments my friend!!!

Mike

The color scheme looks extremely attractive.

I was surprised by the size of the Neptune, when compared to the B-17.

Pity about the problems encountered!

I'm sure your next build will be a more pleasant experience.

Looking forward to see that Arma Hobby Yak ....

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Thank you sir.  After viewing the pictures, I need to revisit this kit and apply more touch ups.  Thanks again for the very nice comments my friend!!!

Mike

Cracking as in great  job!  I just read all your info on this model could have been taken differently with the issues you had but in my defence I thought it looked great.

mea culpa 

Eamonn

• Thanks 1

Excellent build - and whatever difficulties you think you might have had with the build do not seem to have affected the end result at all. I really like the aircraft of the transitional period between the prop and jet eras, and the Neptune is one of the best looking of all. Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1